EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Reach for the Stars B

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

MacBookMinus wrote:I noticed that the rules say we need knowledge of how different DSO's and stuff look in different portions of the electromagnetic spectrum. I haven't found any good solid sources for that kind of stuff, or what exactly to look for in determining in whether a pic was taken in visible or infrared (just as an example). I hope this doesn't come off as rule clarification asking, because I'm not. I'm looking for resources.
The best way to look for how different DSO's look in different wavelengths is, as forever said, through Google Images or different satellite sites like Chandra, but sometimes you may have trouble finding these images. Luckily, certain wavelengths tend to have certain characteristics. Take the image below, for example:
Optical is what we see as visible light, so it'll appear as you'd expect it to. If it's a galaxy, you'll see the clouds that obscure some of the further stars.

Infrared senses heat, so the clouds aren't going to be as obstructive. Usually these images will appear redder than the optical image.

For Reach, you probably won't need to know the difference between Atomic and Molecular Hydrogen bands, and instead you just have to focus on Microwave. Microwave and radio are similar and their images look similar. In my experience, radio looks a little "fuzzier". Someone else might have a better way of explaining the difference.

On the other side, you have Ultraviolet, which isn't shown here. It generally appears purpler and bluer than optical.

X-Rays are the band in which Chandra takes images. These are areas of high energy, so stars, neutron stars, black holes, and other active areas appear bright, and not so much the inactive areas. You might see spots that are caused by X-ray emissions.

Finally, gamma rays are the highest energy. Objects here can look colorful like in radio, depending on the false color that the image is using, and they won't look very definite.

A lot of times, you just need to get a feel for guessing what wavelength an image was taken in. If you search for images taken in these wavelengths, you'll probably start getting a feel for what they usually look like. Normally, you won't get a lot of questions where you have to name the part of the spectrum in which an image was taken, so don't spend a ton of time on this. A general knowledge should serve you well.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
KingsRanger
Division: B
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by KingsRanger »

Any good reference maps for Deep Sky Objects and Constellations?
MacBookMinus
State: IL

Post by MacBookMinus »

havenbro wrote:
XJcwolfyX wrote:It looks like the event got a lot harder, glad I'm no longer in 8th grade. =)
I'm going into 9th grade yet I'm still in B division...
B-b-b-but that's not fair for the rest of us. I know its allowed, but I frown upon it. Division B is no place for high schoolers.
EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:The best way to look for how different DSO's look in different wavelengths is, as forever said, through Google Images or different satellite sites like Chandra, but sometimes you may have trouble finding these images. Luckily, certain wavelengths tend to have certain characteristics.
Thank you! This was incredibly useful. I had already gotten some pictures of DSO's in different portions of the electromagnetic spectrum, but still needed a firmer basis. I agree with you, this probably won't be as much of a focus. I hardly saw any of this (if at all) last year, and I can't imagine most event supervisors will change their ways. How do you make it so that you see replies to your post? I was certain no one had replied to my post, but when I checked, there you were.
I see you're a mod. Exactly what position do you hold in the Science Olympiad community? Just genuinely curious :D
KingsRanger wrote:Any good reference maps for Deep Sky Objects and Constellations?
Mainly I just use the internet.

http://www.stellarium.org/

This I have used in the past to isolate very specific portions of the sky. You can enable/disable lines drawn in and stuff so you see exactly what you want to see, snap a picture of it, and move on. I compiled a fairly large (and good) test for myself and partner using this free software.

http://www.amazon.com/National-Audubon- ... 0679408525

This is a very good introductory book. I gave you a link to Amazon, but I'm sure you could just check one out from your library.

http://www.heavens-above.com/constellat ... t=0&tz=UCT
http://www.heavens-above.com/skychart.a ... t=0&tz=UCT

Here are a bunch of good links for learning your constellations.

As for DSO's, I personally just look them up in google, grab the good looking images, and research them using NASA, Chandra, and Wikipedia. All of those are excellent sources of this kind of stuff.

Sorry if that's not what you were asking for. I may have misinterpreted.
If you're looking for a legitimate sky chart with all the constellations distorted to fit in a rectangle, just google sky chart, I'm sure you'll find something.
Last edited by EastStroudsburg13 on January 29th, 2013, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: We generally don't want to have triple posts. If you use the EDIT button you can change or add to prior posts.
Confucius say "man who run in front of car get tired, but man who run behind car get exhausted."
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

MacBookMinus wrote:
havenbro wrote:
XJcwolfyX wrote:It looks like the event got a lot harder, glad I'm no longer in 8th grade. =)
I'm going into 9th grade yet I'm still in B division...
B-b-b-but that's not fair for the rest of us. I know its allowed, but I frown upon it. Division B is no place for high schoolers.
Some schools have 9th graders in their middle school, so it's natural for them to compete with the middle school team.
MacBookMinus wrote: I see you're a mod. Exactly what position do you hold in the Science Olympiad community? Just genuinely curious :D
We're here to keep the peace and control spambots and such, as well as maintaining the forums, wiki, and gallery. We also help new members get acclimated to certain policies of the forums, such as trying to avoid posting multiple times in a row. ;)
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
MacBookMinus

Post by MacBookMinus »

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote: Some schools have 9th graders in their middle school, so it's natural for them to compete with the middle school team.
Ahh, how ignorant of me. I thought all schools had high school start at 9th grade. That does make a good deal of sense. It's just that at my school, I can't imagine the 9th graders from the other campus collaborating with me on the team.
Confucius say "man who run in front of car get tired, but man who run behind car get exhausted."
Cheesy Pie
State: MI

Post by Cheesy Pie »

Also, I'd use DK and Smithsonian's Universe: The Definite and Complete Guide although it is "a little" bulky.
100% of deaths are somehow caused by science.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE
MacBookMinus

Post by MacBookMinus »

havenbro wrote: My school is more competitive in B div than C anyway... And I just realized... There aren't any galaxies on the list this year... :o
Yeah, the focus is supposed to be the EMS and light and stuff.
DatScienceKid
Division: C
State: WI

Post by DatScienceKid »

Hey! Um... so, my partner hasn't worked with me much, and I really need a little help. Can someone tell me what stars we need to learn? :?:
Thanks!
Third year!

Disease Detectives, Bio Process Lab, Experimental Design

(Former) Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Solar Systems, Heredity
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Skink »

DatScienceKid wrote:Hey! Um... so, my partner hasn't worked with me much, and I really need a little help. Can someone tell me what stars we need to learn? :?:
Thanks!
They are listed in bold in section 3.a. of the rules. The rules include what other topics you need to know, as well.
DatScienceKid
State: WI

Post by DatScienceKid »

Skink wrote:
DatScienceKid wrote:Hey! Um... so, my partner hasn't worked with me much, and I really need a little help. Can someone tell me what stars we need to learn? :?:
Thanks!
They are listed in bold in section 3.a. of the rules. The rules include what other topics you need to know, as well.
Thanks a lot! :D
Third year!

Disease Detectives, Bio Process Lab, Experimental Design

(Former) Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Solar Systems, Heredity

Return to “2013 Study Events”