Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0

Re: Reach for the Stars B

Post by AlphaTauri »

havenbro wrote:
foreverphysics wrote:Optics! Oh man, this means this will be even better this year.
Also, anyone notice that we have to do radiation laws as well?
I learned more about optics this summer from studying astronomy than I ever knew doing the Optics event for the last two years... And what do you mean by radiation laws? That's kind of a broad term...?
Radiation laws I would guess means Stefan-Boltzmann, Wien's Law, Inverse Square Law, LRT, etc. Nothing too difficult like Planck's Radiation Law - that's at the limit for Astronomy, and if they expect you to know it in Reach (aside from perhaps knowing what it is) I'd be very surprised indeed.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
havenbro
Division: C
Been thanked: 0

Post by havenbro »

AlphaTauri wrote:
havenbro wrote:
foreverphysics wrote:Optics! Oh man, this means this will be even better this year.
Also, anyone notice that we have to do radiation laws as well?
I learned more about optics this summer from studying astronomy than I ever knew doing the Optics event for the last two years... And what do you mean by radiation laws? That's kind of a broad term...?
Radiation laws I would guess means Stefan-Boltzmann, Wien's Law, Inverse Square Law, LRT, etc. Nothing too difficult like Planck's Radiation Law - that's at the limit for Astronomy, and if they expect you to know it in Reach (aside from perhaps knowing what it is) I'd be very surprised indeed.
I'd be surprised if they decided to put some of those laws in RFTS, that's the kind of thing I think about with astronomy, and it doesn't really fit with the event..
Nationals Medals:
2012: Meteorology B (6th Place)
2013: Reach for the Stars B (3rd Place)
slytherin
Division: B
State: KS

Post by slytherin »

Hi, this my first year in science olympiad. My older sister did it, but she hated RFTS. Any tips? or good websites? I've been having trouble finding good pictures with the stars and deep sky objects and constellations drawn out on the web, help is much appreciated!!! :)
State:
Anatomy: 2nd
Meteorology: 2nd
Simple Machines: 2nd
Solar System: 2nd
Notice a pattern :lol:
foreverphysics
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics »

slytherin wrote:Hi, this my first year in science olympiad. My older sister did it, but she hated RFTS. Any tips? or good websites? I've been having trouble finding good pictures with the stars and deep sky objects and constellations drawn out on the web, help is much appreciated!!! :)
The wiki. Also, Alpha's and syo's blog, http://onwardtotheedge.wordpress.com.
And speaking of the Wiki, I've updated it for 2013, but I haven't had time got out in specific info yet. So anyone who could help me out with that...
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
slytherin
Division: B
State: KS

Post by slytherin »

i can't find the evolutionary stage of NGC 281 anywhere, does anyone know a good site to find evolutionary stages?
State:
Anatomy: 2nd
Meteorology: 2nd
Simple Machines: 2nd
Solar System: 2nd
Notice a pattern :lol:
foreverphysics

Post by foreverphysics »

slytherin wrote:i can't find the evolutionary stage of NGC 281 anywhere, does anyone know a good site to find evolutionary stages?
I would say something along the lines of "Google is your friend", but you've probably already tried that. Usually, I just use Stellarium or Starry Night Sky, both of which provide a crapload of info.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

ReBobville

Post by ReBobville »

slytherin wrote:i can't find the evolutionary stage of NGC 281 anywhere, does anyone know a good site to find evolutionary stages?

Google, Google Google!!! (LOOK EVERYWHERE!!!!!) (Having fun yet?)
(did this for 2 years, now on to Astro)
Strath Haven High School- 2015
Purdue University- 2019
havenbro
Division: C

Post by havenbro »

Does anybody know where to find information on the Pulsar G359.23-0.82? I don't know much about it, apart from the fact that it is a Pulsar. There's no Wikipedia article on it, and Google isn't giving me a satisyfying result....
Nationals Medals:
2012: Meteorology B (6th Place)
2013: Reach for the Stars B (3rd Place)
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

I'm getting some good results by just putting in G359.23-0.82, without the "Pulsar" in front. Note: this is normally the sort of thing you'll have to do in Astronomy to find satisfactory results on the DSO's. ;)
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
foreverphysics

Post by foreverphysics »

havenbro wrote:Does anybody know where to find information on the Pulsar G359.23-0.82? I don't know much about it, apart from the fact that it is a Pulsar. There's no Wikipedia article on it, and Google isn't giving me a satisyfying result....
Its nickname is "The Mouse", and NASA has a pretty good page on it. There are other resources, like this, or this. I'm fairly certain that there is tons of info out there; you just have to find it.

Return to “2013 Study Events”