Wait...can someone explain to me the rotation of Reach and Solar System? :?:
From da Big Apple
foreverphysics
Division: Grad
State: AL
Has thanked: 0

Re: Reach for the Stars B

Post by foreverphysics »

2 years Reach, 2 years Solar System, 2 years Reach, 2 years Solar System, repeat endlessly.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
ckssv07
Division: C
State: PA
Been thanked: 0

Post by ckssv07 »

Although i love Reach, i think solar systems is a lot better, and im kind of dissapointed that they arent planning to put solar systems back next year.

Also, you probably should also learn the basics about galaxies and the major galaxies, its been on nearly every test ive taken this year.
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

I'm pretty sure they're going to put Solar System back next year; I would be very surprised if they did not.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Post by Luo »

The summer institute schedule (http://www.soinc.org/sites/default/file ... -14-13.doc) still lists Reach for the Stars as (tentatively) slated to return next year.
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by AlphaTauri »

Luo wrote:The summer institute schedule (http://www.soinc.org/sites/default/file ... -14-13.doc) still lists Reach for the Stars as (tentatively) slated to return next year.
Strange, I thought the two events were on a 2-year rotation...they've always been that way as far as I know.

Maybe they decided to keep Reach around so that frosh/sophomores wouldn't jump headfirst into Div C Astronomy and then panic because it's a completely different topic from SS and it's kinda difficult :P
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Post by Luo »

AlphaTauri wrote:
Luo wrote:The summer institute schedule (http://www.soinc.org/sites/default/file ... -14-13.doc) still lists Reach for the Stars as (tentatively) slated to return next year.
Strange, I thought the two events were on a 2-year rotation...they've always been that way as far as I know.

Maybe they decided to keep Reach around so that frosh/sophomores wouldn't jump headfirst into Div C Astronomy and then panic because it's a completely different topic from SS and it's kinda difficult :P
It's also possible that the line listing on the summer institute schedule is just an oversight. I do like the Div C Astronomy panic rationale, though. ;)
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

I personally find it likely about the whole tentative thing...when was it last updated, beginning of March/end of February or something (I don't feel like checking even if the link is right there :P). Also, plenty of people deal with jumping from solar systems to astro...*cough* Alpha *cough*. I do wonder how much it helps you since I've seen one of their tests and scores...so yeah...either way.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
Epicness101
Division: B
Been thanked: 0

Post by Epicness101 »

Personally, i'm looking forward to Solar System. I've spent two years in RFTS, and from what i've seen from the event in the practice tests, the event is a lot less broad than Reach, but also a lot more detailed. In addition there's more about the history of astronomy in Solar System than in Reach.
From da Big Apple
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

Epicness101 wrote:Personally, i'm looking forward to Solar System. I've spent two years in RFTS, and from what i've seen from the event in the practice tests, the event is a lot less broad than Reach, but also a lot more detailed. In addition there's more about the history of astronomy in Solar System than in Reach.
Hey, I see you're from NY (if you're another WLI'er aw, I won't get to see you unless I go to the Div B regs again)! I am too :D. Heh...regionals and states this year were quite random, just saying (so Solar Systems isn't necessarily helpful, but I find that in other places it's study everything about the topic...here it's study EVERYTHING). So fun! I also got Solar Systems in 8th grade XD (but I wasn't exactly great at it...).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

Return to “2013 Study Events”