From da Big Apple
ReBobville
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Reach for the Stars B

Post by ReBobville »

Epicness101 wrote:Personally, i'm looking forward to Solar System. I've spent two years in RFTS, and from what i've seen from the event in the practice tests, the event is a lot less broad than Reach, but also a lot more detailed. In addition there's more about the history of astronomy in Solar System than in Reach.
Solar System is MUCH BETTER then RFTS. (Test's are more complex, and more inference skill is required vs. memorizing!)
Strath Haven High School- 2015
Purdue University- 2019
Toms_42

Post by Toms_42 »

ReBobville wrote:
Epicness101 wrote:Personally, i'm looking forward to Solar System. I've spent two years in RFTS, and from what i've seen from the event in the practice tests, the event is a lot less broad than Reach, but also a lot more detailed. In addition there's more about the history of astronomy in Solar System than in Reach.
Solar System is MUCH BETTER then RFTS. (Test's are more complex, and more inference skill is required vs. memorizing!)
Solar systems doesn't have constellations to memorize :D
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

The good thing about Reach for the Stars is that it coincides much more with Astronomy than Solar System does. Sure, Reach has the memorization of the constellations, but if you can focus on the patterns in the sky, it'll be a lot easier to memorize them. And then all of the conceptual stuff with stellar evolution definitely requires higher-level thinking skills, if the test is written well. In addition, there's a good amount of information regurgitation in Solar System too, with facts about planets, their moons, and whatnot.

Both Solar System and Reach have their perks. Personally, I was much more of a fan of Reach. Of course, once you get to Astronomy, nothing else compares. ;)
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Toms_42

Post by Toms_42 »

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:The good thing about Reach for the Stars is that it coincides much more with Astronomy than Solar System does. Sure, Reach has the memorization of the constellations, but if you can focus on the patterns in the sky, it'll be a lot easier to memorize them. And then all of the conceptual stuff with stellar evolution definitely requires higher-level thinking skills, if the test is written well. In addition, there's a good amount of information regurgitation in Solar System too, with facts about planets, their moons, and whatnot.

Both Solar System and Reach have their perks. Personally, I was much more of a fan of Reach. Of course, once you get to Astronomy, nothing else compares. ;)
frankly, I've never done solar systems, but I've heard very good things about it. both people doing reach for us this year cant waitto see solar systems back, and I hope I get to compete in reach next year ONCE. This year, I made a cheat sheet, studied flashcards and everything, but I could never compete thanks to conflicts with my main events, meteo and shock. the ONE time they didn't conflict, I was replaced with a sub in because she didnt have any other events to do :cry:
MacBookMinus
Division: B
State: IL

Post by MacBookMinus »

Some ID! Not sure if this is the place for this, but I didn't see a different page so please be gentle. Also I'm not sure if the image thing will work out. Sorry in potential advance!

Well it didn't work. Can someone explain how to hide an image so that it shows when you click on it? Also how to upload an image?
Confucius say "man who run in front of car get tired, but man who run behind car get exhausted."
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by Skink »

MacBookMinus wrote:Well it didn't work. Can someone explain how to hide an image so that it shows when you click on it? Also how to upload an image?
Everything after here shows after opening.  Put your IMG tags here.
For hosting an image...
I like tinypic or photobucket. Imageshack is okay.  I made a photobucket just for scioly.org use; that makes it easy, and you can take down images at any time.
QUote this post to see the formatting of a hide tag. Play with it a bit.
MacBookMinus

Post by MacBookMinus »

Skink wrote: QUote this post to see the formatting of a hide tag. Play with it a bit.
Well let's give it a shot.
[hide]Is this able to be seen?[/hide]

Too bad both of those websites are blocked on my school computer. I'll have to do it from the home one.

Edit: why did it not work?
Confucius say "man who run in front of car get tired, but man who run behind car get exhausted."
MacBookMinus

Post by MacBookMinus »

Toms_42 wrote: Solar systems doesn't have constellations to memorize :D
I actually really like RFTS. Favorite event. :(
XJcwolfyX
Division: C

Post by XJcwolfyX »

MacBookMinus wrote:
Toms_42 wrote: Solar systems doesn't have constellations to memorize :D
I actually really like RFTS. Favorite event. :(
:D
Medal Counter: 73

Return to “2013 Study Events”