Heredity B/Designer Genes C

Locked
Cedavis6
Member
Member
Posts: 72
Joined: March 27th, 2012, 2:22 pm
Division: Grad

Re: Heredity B/Designer Genes C

Post by Cedavis6 » January 8th, 2013, 12:22 pm

Should we know a little about conservative and dispersive replication?

reichenbach
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: January 6th, 2013, 7:08 pm
Division: B
State: MD

Re: Heredity B/Designer Genes C

Post by reichenbach » January 8th, 2013, 4:50 pm

butter side up wrote:
reichenbach wrote:Hi! I'm new to this event and I had a question about the genotype ratios:

How do you know how to order the genotypes when writing the genotype ratio? Does it matter if you label everything?

For example, if the genotype is 1 D/D: 2 D/H: 1 D/R: 4 H/H: 4 H/D: 1 R/D: 2 R/H: 1 R/R, would it matter if you wrote it as 2 D/H: 1 D/D: 1 D/R: 4 H/H: 4 H/D: 2 R/H: 1 R/D: 1 R/R?

Thanks so much in advance for your help!
[I'm assuming you're referring to a cross with two traits here, with D as homozygous dominant, H as heterozygous, and R being recessive?]

I'm pretty sure that at least tradition (possibly also a rule) dictates that it goes in the order
DD:DH:DR:HD:HH:HR:RD:RH:RR

Such that a standard cross between two heterozygous individuals (AaBb x AaBb) would result in the ratio
1:2:1:2:4:2:1:2:1

[Also- I like the username, even if it did nearly cause me to go on a rant in the middle of the library. Violently in need of that elusive creature Season 3.]
Thanks again! That's exactly what i meant.

And I'm assuming the phenotype ratio would be expressed as DD:DR:RD:RR?

User avatar
2000lby
Member
Member
Posts: 106
Joined: February 4th, 2012, 6:46 pm
Division: Grad
State: IN
Location: idk, but my momentum is 0.

Re: Heredity B/Designer Genes C

Post by 2000lby » January 8th, 2013, 9:51 pm

Cedavis6 wrote:Should we know a little about conservative and dispersive replication?
I would study the Meselson–Stahl experiment and the hypotheses behind it. It's not that much information :)
SciOly alum 2010-2013

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.
-Charles Darwin

User avatar
butter side up
Member
Member
Posts: 136
Joined: January 6th, 2011, 9:52 am
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: The TARDIS, temporarily stopped at 221B Baker Street

Re: Heredity B/Designer Genes C

Post by butter side up » January 10th, 2013, 11:27 am

reichenbach wrote:And I'm assuming the phenotype ratio would be expressed as DD:DR:RD:RR?
Yep, exactly!
2000lby wrote:
Cedavis6 wrote:Should we know a little about conservative and dispersive replication?
I would study the Meselson–Stahl experiment and the hypotheses behind it. It's not that much information :)
And other than knowing that conservative and dispersive replication have been discredited as theories, I wouldn't devote much attention to it. I'd focus more on understanding the mechanisms of semi-conservative replication, which has been supported. And a basic comprehension of the Meselson-Stahl experiment is probably a good idea- at least the rudiments. It isn't too complicated, and it follows many of the procedures that are used in other genetic experiments.
I am the one called "TARDIS Hat Girl," and am known as such by all.
2013: Anatomy, Experimental Design, Genetics, Forestry, Disease Detectives

PicturePerfect
Member
Member
Posts: 152
Joined: November 6th, 2012, 7:01 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Location: *insert funny comment*
Contact:

Re: Heredity B/Designer Genes C

Post by PicturePerfect » January 11th, 2013, 8:01 pm

YUSH! I got 1st place in my Heredity tryouts! Thanks, butter side up :) Now to beat all my competitors for Forestry and Food Science.
2012-2013 Event Name | Best Finish |
Heredity | 2nd
Forestry | 3rd
Food Science | 5th
Team | 1st

2013-2014 Event Name | Best Finish |
Heredity | 4th
Water Quality | 7th
Shock Value | 7th
Wheeled Vehicle | 7th

2014-2015 Event Name | Best Finish |

Slarik
Member
Member
Posts: 68
Joined: December 28th, 2011, 12:14 pm
Division: C
State: MD
Location: In my AP Bio book, wishing I could go practice my trumpet

Re: Heredity B/Designer Genes C

Post by Slarik » January 28th, 2013, 1:56 pm

THANK YOU to whoever uploaded the Wright State tests!

On question 10 of station 2, "Would the protein produced from this mRNA sequence change if the A indicated by * is changed to U? If yes, indicate how," the answer key says, "Point mutation from Lys to Asn; all others remain unchanged." It seems similar to the example in the rules, "Which DNA sequence would result in a different amino acid sequence?"

For that question on the Wright State test, we knew it would be a point mutation and that all others would be unchanged. Is it good enough to just put that down as the answer, or should we include a key in our notes as to which triplet codes for which amino acid, so that we can tell whether it is silent or not, and what the new acid would be?
Exothermic reactions? I studied them before they were cool.

User avatar
MacBookMinus
Member
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: January 24th, 2013, 6:59 pm
Division: B
State: IL
Location: Chicago

Re: Heredity B/Designer Genes C

Post by MacBookMinus » January 30th, 2013, 7:55 am

deezee wrote:Do any of you know any good resources where we can find info on DNA sequencing, protein synthesis, and stuff like that? I'm guessing a lot of the stuff on the tests will include AP bio knowledge (which i haven't even taken yet... =.=)
My coach owns an online copy of the Campbell Bio book that I use for that kind of stuff. Not quite sure how much it costs, probably overly expensive :D
Confucius say "man who run in front of car get tired, but man who run behind car get exhausted."

User avatar
butter side up
Member
Member
Posts: 136
Joined: January 6th, 2011, 9:52 am
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: The TARDIS, temporarily stopped at 221B Baker Street

Re: Heredity B/Designer Genes C

Post by butter side up » January 30th, 2013, 12:16 pm

Slarik wrote:THANK YOU to whoever uploaded the Wright State tests!

On question 10 of station 2, "Would the protein produced from this mRNA sequence change if the A indicated by * is changed to U? If yes, indicate how," the answer key says, "Point mutation from Lys to Asn; all others remain unchanged." It seems similar to the example in the rules, "Which DNA sequence would result in a different amino acid sequence?"

For that question on the Wright State test, we knew it would be a point mutation and that all others would be unchanged. Is it good enough to just put that down as the answer, or should we include a key in our notes as to which triplet codes for which amino acid, so that we can tell whether it is silent or not, and what the new acid would be?
I would include a chart for checking triplet codes on your cheat sheet. I'm pretty certain that it will be important for tests- I have seen it as necessary before. You can find some very compact ones, especially if you are already familiar with the abbreviations used for amino acids *cough Protein Modeling cough*, so it shouldn't take up too much space on your sheet. Many times the specificity that comes with that can be an extra point or two which can make loads of difference in some tests.
I am the one called "TARDIS Hat Girl," and am known as such by all.
2013: Anatomy, Experimental Design, Genetics, Forestry, Disease Detectives

Slarik
Member
Member
Posts: 68
Joined: December 28th, 2011, 12:14 pm
Division: C
State: MD
Location: In my AP Bio book, wishing I could go practice my trumpet

Re: Heredity B/Designer Genes C

Post by Slarik » January 30th, 2013, 6:37 pm

butter side up wrote: I would include a chart for checking triplet codes on your cheat sheet. I'm pretty certain that it will be important for tests- I have seen it as necessary before. You can find some very compact ones, especially if you are already familiar with the abbreviations used for amino acids *cough Protein Modeling cough*, so it shouldn't take up too much space on your sheet. Many times the specificity that comes with that can be an extra point or two which can make loads of difference in some tests.
Alright, thanks. It seems like they should give you a table if you need it, but I was leaning the same way as you after taking the Wright State test.
Exothermic reactions? I studied them before they were cool.

PicturePerfect
Member
Member
Posts: 152
Joined: November 6th, 2012, 7:01 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Location: *insert funny comment*
Contact:

Re: Heredity B/Designer Genes C

Post by PicturePerfect » February 4th, 2013, 5:35 pm

Does anyone have a Division B test?
2012-2013 Event Name | Best Finish |
Heredity | 2nd
Forestry | 3rd
Food Science | 5th
Team | 1st

2013-2014 Event Name | Best Finish |
Heredity | 4th
Water Quality | 7th
Shock Value | 7th
Wheeled Vehicle | 7th

2014-2015 Event Name | Best Finish |

Locked

Return to “2013 Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest