Heredity B/Designer Genes C

hipparcos
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Heredity B/Designer Genes C

Post by hipparcos »

I'm new to Designer Genes this year, and the only practice tests I could find were those two from Poly at the Test Exchange, 7-8 years old. Those tests covered mostly heredity topics and DNA replication/transcription/translation, with some Hardy-Weinberg, karyotypes, chromosome stuff, and restriction enzymes. No PCR, gel electrophoresis, or the like. In terms of topics, are the tests this year likely to be similarly distributed, with heredity as the focus?
Conestoga HS (2013-15)
Haverford HS (2011-13)
Haverford MS (2010-11)
slytherin
Division: B
State: KS

Post by slytherin »

hi, this is my first time doing Heredity so I am kind of freaked out. Any help you could give me would be great but if you have anything about sex-linked traits.... PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!
State:
Anatomy: 2nd
Meteorology: 2nd
Simple Machines: 2nd
Solar System: 2nd
Notice a pattern :lol:
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

I strongly suggest starting at the Heredity Wiki. There's a lot of good information on there. When researching other topics, start with the links provided for you at the SOinc website.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
PicturePerfect
Division: C
State: CA

Post by PicturePerfect »

slytherin wrote:hi, this is my first time doing Heredity so I am kind of freaked out. Any help you could give me would be great but if you have anything about sex-linked traits.... PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!
Make sure to know about meiosis! :D

Okay.. so, sex-linked traits.
Basically it means traits that are carried on the x or y chromosome. For example, color blindness is a sex linked trait.
2012-2013 Event Name | Best Finish |
Heredity | 2nd
Forestry | 3rd
Food Science | 5th
Team | 1st

2013-2014 Event Name | Best Finish |
Heredity | 4th
Water Quality | 7th
Shock Value | 7th
Wheeled Vehicle | 7th

2014-2015 Event Name | Best Finish |
butter side up
State: PA

Post by butter side up »

slytherin wrote:hi, this is my first time doing Heredity so I am kind of freaked out. Any help you could give me would be great but if you have anything about sex-linked traits.... PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!
A sex-linked trait is located on the X or Y chromosome, as PicturePerfect said. This means that it will follow different patterns in the different sexes. If it is located on the Y chromosome, it will only be found in males. But if it is located on the X, it will behave differently. If you think about it, a recessive mutation on an X chromosome will be masked if the dominant counterpart is present in the other X chromosome. But males, having only one X chromosome, do not have the opportunity to mask it. This is why so many sex-linked mutations (color blindness and hemophilia are two of the most noted) appear most frequently in males.
I am the one called "TARDIS Hat Girl," and am known as such by all.
2013: Anatomy, Experimental Design, Genetics, Forestry, Disease Detectives
thebluemenace
Division: B
State: MN

Post by thebluemenace »

EAtBaNAna wrote:I think it's a fraction, but I'm using ratio form (1:2:1, for example). Also, does anyone now how much we have to go into detail for mutations and genetic disorders? I'm doing heredity B btw.
For B, only non-disjunction disorders are needed, and usually only the main ones which are Down's Syndrome (trisomy of chromosome 21) and Turner's (monosomy of X in women), but there are more and you should probably include them in your notes. :D
2012-2013 Events:
Anatomy (B)
Heredity (B)
Reach for the Stars (B)

Hey you! Yeah, you reading the random guy's signature on scioly.org! Hello.
Jakehall
State: MI

Post by Jakehall »

I've a question- do you think there will be many questions on multi-varible punnet squares? Like how eye color works, or will it be more the ABxAB= 1AA 2AB and 1 BB stuff?

As a side note, AP Biology will provide an amazing benefit to this event. I'd say 75-85% of this event I will have covered in my class/AP Bio books by the time competitions begin in my area.
PicturePerfect

Post by PicturePerfect »

Jakehall wrote:I've a question- do you think there will be many questions on multi-varible punnet squares? Like how eye color works, or will it be more the ABxAB= 1AA 2AB and 1 BB stuff?

As a side note, AP Biology will provide an amazing benefit to this event. I'd say 75-85% of this event I will have covered in my class/AP Bio books by the time competitions begin in my area.
Lucky you! I'm still in middle school, so we don't really get an in-depth lesson on Heredity.
Heredity | 2nd
Forestry | 3rd
Food Science | 5th
Team | 1st

Heredity | 4th
Water Quality | 7th
Shock Value | 7th
Wheeled Vehicle | 7th

Cheesy Pie
State: MI

Post by Cheesy Pie »

PicturePerfect wrote:
Jakehall wrote:I've a question- do you think there will be many questions on multi-varible punnet squares? Like how eye color works, or will it be more the ABxAB= 1AA 2AB and 1 BB stuff?

Lucky you! I'm still in middle school, so we don't really get an in-depth lesson on Heredity.
Really? I had a genetics unit last year in science. And I'm currently in eighth grade.
100% of deaths are somehow caused by science.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE
PicturePerfect

Post by PicturePerfect »

Cheesy Pie wrote:
PicturePerfect wrote:

Really? I had a genetics unit last year in science. And I'm currently in eighth grade.
Yeah, we had a genetics unit, too, but there's a lot of stuff it didn't talk about, mostly concerning meiosis.
Heredity | 2nd
Forestry | 3rd
Food Science | 5th
Team | 1st

Heredity | 4th
Water Quality | 7th
Shock Value | 7th
Wheeled Vehicle | 7th

Return to “2013 Study Events”