Water Quality B/C

honeybunchesofoats
Division: B
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by honeybunchesofoats »

ptkid wrote: Same, we found the test similar to last year. After looking it up, I think it stands for submerged aquatic vegetation. We didn't know what any of the acronyms were or the tools, but we finished in 2nd. We thought we did okay on it afterwards.
Congratulations!
cupcakegirl
Division: C
State: TX

Post by cupcakegirl »

Just for future reference, does anyone actually know what those tools were?
2013 Nationals Results: Water Quality-2nd, Food Science-6th, Crime Busters-13th, Team- 7th
2014 National Results: Water Quality- 7th, Can't Judge A Powder- 6th, Crime Busters- 4th, Heredity- 5th, Team- FIRST!!!
2015 Events: Forensics, Green Generation, Fossils
havenbreadfish
State: PA

Post by havenbreadfish »

Hosj wrote:Did anyone find the nationals test difficult? We got 7th, but were sure we failed it afterwards. Our salinometer didn't even work, we couldn't use one page of our notes because we stapled our pages together and one had writing on the back, and all I knew was the Invertabrates, and only barely. We blanked out on some easy acronyms like BMP and got lucky on SAV. Yet, despite all this we almost medaled. That said, good job to everyone who competed!!(Espcially the top 6) That was my first competition and it was awesome. Water quality is a fun event!!!
Wow, you got 7th? I would've said i did much better than how you described it, but I only got 14th. Me and my partner took last years nats test twice in preparation, but we forgot to look over the multiple choice. Things would've gone better if we had done that... I thought it was pretty difficult though. But definitely a good test.
Strath Haven Science Olympiad - 6th Year

2016 Events: Invasive Species, Dynamic Planet, Green Generation, Cell Biology, Disease Detectives, Hydrogeology
Past Events: Road Scholar, Heredity, Water Quality, DP, Ecology, Microbe Mission, Entomology
caseyotis
State: NY

Post by caseyotis »

Our whole state test was multiple choice scantron, which pigeon me off.
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
cjingk96
State: OH

Post by cjingk96 »

Hosj wrote:Did anyone find the nationals test difficult? We got 7th, but were sure we failed it afterwards. Our salinometer didn't even work, we couldn't use one page of our notes because we stapled our pages together and one had writing on the back, and all I knew was the Invertabrates, and only barely. We blanked out on some easy acronyms like BMP and got lucky on SAV. Yet, despite all this we almost medaled. That said, good job to everyone who competed!!(Espcially the top 6) That was my first competition and it was awesome. Water quality is a fun event!!!
Hey I took the nats test too. Did you know that the event supervisor actually had to throw out the salinometer station for Div C? I was in the 5th event period. After all the stations, the event supervisor told us at the end that she was not going to count the salinometer station because at some point, the water was messed up. I think she said that a team spilled it but I can't remember. So that was a bit annoying because my partner and I spent SOOO long trying to make ours. But either way, when we actually got to that station, our salinometer was completely whack. The 10% line was actually above the water level when we put it into the distilled water. :o I don't really know what happened lol haha.
-Crystal
waywardwind12
State: CA

Post by waywardwind12 »

^
Lolz my partner accidentally spilled it :P But ya, we had the exact same problem with the 10% mark being waaaaaay above the water
Forestry: 2,3
Water Quality: 2,1
Forestry: 1,1,1
Water Quality: 5,1,4
Dynamic Planet: 2,6,15
cjingk96
State: OH

Post by cjingk96 »

Mhmm it's totally fine. When we saw that, we were pretty happy that it was thrown out too haha. We just kinda ballparked and hoped for the best
-Crystal
charmander123418
State: MD

Post by charmander123418 »

Many of the multiple choice questions from last years National's test were on this year's Nationals test.
So glad I studied it!
Regionals: Water Quality-1st Reach for the Stars-1st Sounds of Music-2nd Mission Possible-20th (><)
States- Water Quality-1st Reach for the Stars-2nd Mission Possible-2nd
Nationals- Water Quality-7th Reach for the Stars-24th Mission Possible-37th

Water Quality's the best!!! ^^

Return to “2013 Study Events”