Water Quality B/C

aim4me26
Division: Grad
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by aim4me26 »

ptkid wrote:Can someone make the Water Quality ID thread again? It would be appreciated.
Not sure if you saw already, but here's the link for the ID thread.
http://scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=144&t=3860
i know that i should be in bed
and its almost 3 am
but when i close my eyes i can only see miles of headlights
fleshing out the distance
Orchdork
State: IL

Post by Orchdork »

So I'm coaching (assistant sort of) Water Quality this year. I've read the rules and all but I still don;t really understand what we are suppose to do. There's a test and it has three parts; testing, identification, and (I forgot the last one). So I guess my question is what are the main topics that I need my team to cover? Any help would be greatly appreciated :D
Events (that I'm coaching)
Water Quality
fozendog
State: WA

Post by fozendog »

Orchdork wrote:So I'm coaching (assistant sort of) Water Quality this year. I've read the rules and all but I still don;t really understand what we are suppose to do. There's a test and it has three parts; testing, identification, and (I forgot the last one). So I guess my question is what are the main topics that I need my team to cover? Any help would be greatly appreciated :D
Was making a salinometer what you were thinking of for the last part? And studying all the indicated macroinvertebrates and what they look like in each stage of their life really helps a lot!
Stanford '19
Camas Science Olympiad Alumnus
Events: Protein Modeling, Cell Biology, Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Dynamic Planet, Water Quality
Orchdork

Post by Orchdork »

fozendog wrote:
Orchdork wrote:So I'm coaching (assistant sort of) Water Quality this year. I've read the rules and all but I still don;t really understand what we are suppose to do. There's a test and it has three parts; testing, identification, and (I forgot the last one). So I guess my question is what are the main topics that I need my team to cover? Any help would be greatly appreciated :D
Was making a salinometer what you were thinking of for the last part? And studying all the indicated macroinvertebrates and what they look like in each stage of their life really helps a lot!
Yeah, I know that but what other stuff. I know we need to know the different types of cycles, pollutants, how to cure polluted water, but what else?
Events (that I'm coaching)
Water Quality
phdpscmbli
Division: C
State: OH

Post by phdpscmbli »

How do you guys tell the difference between Gilled Snail and Air Breathing Snail?
I get the whole thing about having/not having an operculum and left/right, but it's often really hard to tell with pictures. Any tips?
silentsage
State: PA

Post by silentsage »

phdpscmbli wrote:How do you guys tell the difference between Gilled Snail and Air Breathing Snail?
I get the whole thing about having/not having an operculum and left/right, but it's often really hard to tell with pictures. Any tips?
I know this sounds stupid, bit the picture of the gilled snail may be in water. In my experience the shells of gilled snails are slightly longer, thinner, and lighter colored.
Road Scholar seems to depress everyone on my team who does it, but it's my favorite event...
I <3 DQIX and Squirtle
2013 RS National Champ
sciencegeek999
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sciencegeek999 »

For the gilled snail, does the larva look different than the adult? I can't find any pics of larva gilled snails. Will we have to be able to tell from both immature and mature what it is?
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Skink »

Mmmm, snails...

Yes, you should be able to tell which is which.
I found the following pretty face on a Quizlet game for this event. I'm not sure what the source was, so don't treat it as reliable yet. Anyone?

FOr whatever reason, this one seems a BIT more likely:

If a young gilled snail does look like that latter pic, you'll always be able to tell. That other thing looks like an insect.
caseyotis
State: NY

Post by caseyotis »

Last year, the Water Quality disk worked wonders for me. It had everything we needed to know; cycles, macroinvertebrates, even a crude salinometer. I think they may be throwing out watersheds this year and changing it to estuaries. But it will be the same format, just different information.
That's my prediction; it may or may not be correct.
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
fanjiatian

Post by fanjiatian »

What's the difference between waste water and drinking water treatment?

Return to “2013 Study Events”