Water Quality B/C

Cjkowalcz
Division: B
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by Cjkowalcz »

Sorry, I don't know. Anyways, I have this event soon and I'm excited!
2014 Rustin Invitational:
Entomology: 5th
Experimental Design: 1st
2014 Regionals:
Entomology: 3rd
Meteorology: 2nd
Experimental Design: 1st
2014 States:
???
Medal Count: 14 (Hoping for 15 after my last B-division States ;))
FueL
Division: C
State: NY

Post by FueL »

honeybunchesofoats wrote:Does a river's velocity generally increase as one travels towards the river's mouth?
No, it decreases. The velocity is highest and the channel narrowest at the headwaters.
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.
mnstrviola
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by mnstrviola »

Yeah, check last year's dynamic planet wiki for more info on Stream Profile.
honeybunchesofoats
Division: B

Post by honeybunchesofoats »

Okay. Thanks (:

EDIT: I just took a little review test for the physical portion of this event (so basically stuff on rivers) and when I checked it, the answer key said that the velocity increases as one proceeds downstream in a river. The test came from a textbook, so it should be pretty reliable...
moonflower

Post by moonflower »

Hey, do you know where I can get some good info on nuisance species? I know this wiki provides some information, but it doesn't have as much as I would like...
mnstrviola

Post by mnstrviola »

honeybunchesofoats wrote:Okay. Thanks (:

EDIT: I just took a little review test for the physical portion of this event (so basically stuff on rivers) and when I checked it, the answer key said that the velocity increases as one proceeds downstream in a river. The test came from a textbook, so it should be pretty reliable...
No, the velocity is definitely higher upstream, where there can be rapids and waterfalls. The fast-flowing water is able to pick up a lot of sediment. As you get downstream, it can no longer hang on to all the debris, so some of it is deposited. Downstream, there are lots of meanders and sediment deposits, which can form braided streams.

When you think about it, usually stream-eroded land near the ocean is flat, and in mountainous areas there is more of a slope. I recommend looking at this website.

@Moonflower, I would just google each nuance species individually, there are only 5 (6?) anyway. Remember to look for how they were introduced, why they are a threat, and where they came from,
caseyotis
State: NY

Post by caseyotis »

moonflower wrote:Hey, do you know where I can get some good info on nuisance species? I know this wiki provides some information, but it doesn't have as much as I would like...
The only information that you really need: Range, introduction, how it is a threat to humans, how it is a threat to ecosystem(s), and of course, what it looks like! They look very different, though, especially the three animals. :lol:
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
crabnebula143
State: PA

Post by crabnebula143 »

Did anyone take the PA States C division test?
What did you think of the bugs/ what were they? I think I ended up putting mayfly for two of the bugs and I wasn't sure if one was a dragonfly or a damselfly (it had the dragonfly eyes but it was really small....)
BC / Harriton High School
'We say we love flowers, yet we pluck them. We say we love trees, yet we cut them down. And people still wonder why some are afraid when told they are loved.'
'Having dined on their companions, they now lie at the center of the cluster, waiting for more food to arrive.'
moonflower

Post by moonflower »

crabnebula143 wrote:Did anyone take the PA States C division test?
What did you think of the bugs/ what were they? I think I ended up putting mayfly for two of the bugs and I wasn't sure if one was a dragonfly or a damselfly (it had the dragonfly eyes but it was really small....)
Hey, I did not take the test, however I do think I can help you. Mayfly nymphs and damselfly nymphs look similar in the fact that they both of 3 tails. However, a mayfly's tail is not considered a "true tail" and looks more wispy than the tails of a dragonfly. Also, you can look at their leg alignment. The way you can tell dragonflies and damselflies apart is by the thickness of it's body and the way their wings rest. Hope that helps :]
nmsciencemom
State: NM

Re: Water Quality B/C river velocity

Post by nmsciencemom »

to monstrviola --- the very website you point to has a figure where it points to the lower part of the stream and it says the greater velocity is there. It is not the very end of the river where it becomes a delta, so maybe this is the difference. However, it does say it is the lower river that has the higher velocity than the upper reaches.

Return to “2013 Study Events”