Remote Sensing C

TheGenius
Division: Grad
State: KS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Remote Sensing C

Post by TheGenius »

Well, since you're allowed to bring in any measuring device, I would recommend bringing in a camera to photograph various objects in the room, such as other teams' tests. If the event supervisor seems uncertain regarding the legality of its usage, just tell him that you are simply applying remote sensing in the field. Better yet, bring in a cell phone and conduct measurements of local UHF emissions. Really, though, I just bring in a triangle/ruler, a protractor, and an electron microscope. No need to get fancy.
Any opinions expressed by TheGenius are those of individual brain cells and not necessarily those of the brain as a whole. Use information provided at your own risk.
152sQFbSTLEmeLiqUEWxmrEDpdiWKGvXJD

twirlfs
Division: C
State: OH

Post by twirlfs »

Okay everyone I am completely new to this event! What should I particularly look over and study for this event? The events I've done in the past had powerpoints I could take notes off of, on the soinc website, but this one has no powerpoint...Also, do u have any strategies for making the 5 cheat sheets? The events I've done have only allowed one cheat sheet, double-sided so I am new to this! Thanks for all of your help! :)
TheGenius
State: KS

Post by TheGenius »

twirlfs wrote:Okay everyone I am completely new to this event! What should I particularly look over and study for this event? The events I've done in the past had powerpoints I could take notes off of, on the soinc website, but this one has no powerpoint...Also, do u have any strategies for making the 5 cheat sheets? The events I've done have only allowed one cheat sheet, double-sided so I am new to this! Thanks for all of your help! :)
Do some of the tests from the Test Exchange. They should give you a good idea of how the event is generally run.
Any opinions expressed by TheGenius are those of individual brain cells and not necessarily those of the brain as a whole. Use information provided at your own risk.
152sQFbSTLEmeLiqUEWxmrEDpdiWKGvXJD

twirlfs
State: OH

Post by twirlfs »

TheGenius wrote:
twirlfs wrote:Okay everyone I am completely new to this event! What should I particularly look over and study for this event? The events I've done in the past had powerpoints I could take notes off of, on the soinc website, but this one has no powerpoint...Also, do u have any strategies for making the 5 cheat sheets? The events I've done have only allowed one cheat sheet, double-sided so I am new to this! Thanks for all of your help! :)
Do some of the tests from the Test Exchange. They should give you a good idea of how the event is generally run.
ok I wil thanks!
ashley_198
State: NY

Post by ashley_198 »

Im new to this event- like i got assigned it 2 weeks ago- does anybody know where i can find what the false colors mean on the satellite images. also what are the best things to take notes on for this even.
~Ashley!~
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

First, start with the Remote Sensing Wiki

Second, check out the Canada Center for Remote Sensing's Tutorial. That's what got me started on this event.

Third, go through tests on the Remote Sensing Test Exchange 2013 Test Exchange. The Nebraska ones are notoriously difficult, but good for learning what to expect.

A2Q: False color can vary from image to image. That's where your interpretation skill comes in handy. It helps to know how they're created though, and it's like this: A remote sensor gathers data on its target- kind of like a camera- except we can set different bands of wavelengths (or, more simply, colors) to appear different colors in the image. So we can assign the wavelengths of green to appear red in an image, or something like that. The wiki's got some good information on the subject.

The best things to take notes on are the concepts you don't yet know completely- that will vary for everyone, but it's good to have some basic remote sensing stuff down.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
meggers1221
State: IL

Post by meggers1221 »

Thanks for the help!

And TheGenius, I got a kick out of your post
State Results:
2008: Food Science (1st)
2010: Compute This(1st), Science Crime Busters(2nd)

2013 Events: Materials Science, Forensics, Remote Sensing
JSGandora
State: NJ

Post by JSGandora »

The link for the Southland Invitationals test on the Test Exchange is not working, does anybody have the file and would like to pm it to me? I would appreciate it very much.
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

I wrote it; I'll send it along to you. We hope to get some of the problems with the wiki and test exchange fixed shortly.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
piimasta314
State: CA

Post by piimasta314 »

What type of pictures do they usually use for Remote Sensing tests?
I'm okay with the landsat images and I sort of get false color images but the more obscure ones like Coriolis or Parasol are harder for me to interpret.
The rules barely say anything about the event, so I'm kind of lost. (Honestly, I just started this event when my school realized we were going to state...)
Worst excuse for not turning in homework: "I couldn't find anyone to copy it from."

Return to “2013 Study Events”