Remote Sensing C

TheGenius
Division: Grad
State: KS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Remote Sensing C

Post by TheGenius »

piimasta314 wrote:What type of pictures do they usually use for Remote Sensing tests?
I'm okay with the landsat images and I sort of get false color images but the more obscure ones like Coriolis or Parasol are harder for me to interpret.
The rules barely say anything about the event, so I'm kind of lost. (Honestly, I just started this event when my school realized we were going to state...)
Look at the Test Exchange for some examples of tests. The wiki page also has some info on images.
Any opinions expressed by TheGenius are those of individual brain cells and not necessarily those of the brain as a whole. Use information provided at your own risk.
152sQFbSTLEmeLiqUEWxmrEDpdiWKGvXJD

piimasta314
Division: C
State: CA

Post by piimasta314 »

TheGenius wrote:
piimasta314 wrote:What type of pictures do they usually use for Remote Sensing tests?
I'm okay with the landsat images and I sort of get false color images but the more obscure ones like Coriolis or Parasol are harder for me to interpret.
The rules barely say anything about the event, so I'm kind of lost. (Honestly, I just started this event when my school realized we were going to state...)
Look at the Test Exchange for some examples of tests. The wiki page also has some info on images.
Thanks! I looked at the sample tests and they were pretty good, actually.
State test was really hard...but thanks to the practice we didn't fail too terribly. Oh well. I was informed at State (well, overheard some other schools talking) Remote wouldn't be here next year. Is that true?
Worst excuse for not turning in homework: "I couldn't find anyone to copy it from."
TheGenius

Post by TheGenius »

piimasta314 wrote:Oh well. I was informed at State (well, overheard some other schools talking) Remote wouldn't be here next year. Is that true?
It's possible that Remote Sensing will be replaced by Geological Mapping next year. But we'll only know for certain what's happening when they've finalized the rules in summer.
Any opinions expressed by TheGenius are those of individual brain cells and not necessarily those of the brain as a whole. Use information provided at your own risk.

haverstall
State: MN

Post by haverstall »

I am dearly hoping it won't be replaced. Because that's pretty much all I can write tests for.
Mounds View Science Olympiad 2008-2012 || 6th, Remote Sensing, 2011 Nationals

Co-Tournament Coordinator of Gopher Science Olympiad Invitational
Co-Chair of Minnesota Science Olympiad Alumni
chocoholic123
State: IL

Post by chocoholic123 »

So, this is my first time competing in this event at Nationals and I was wondering if anyone had tips on how to prepare for nationals? Are there any patterns/things in common with the National tests every year? Thanks!
TheGenius

Post by TheGenius »

I don't really remember what it was like last year, but be prepared to split the test up between you and your partner; it's a little large.

manutd94
State: PA

Post by manutd94 »

The 2013 PA States Remote Sensing Exam has been posted on the test exchange. One thing to note is that the image sheet should be read from bottom to top - sorry about that format. There are image labels there to make it clear. Hope everyone likes the exam and best of luck to those competing at nationals! Feedback would be great, if possible. :)
2010 States: 1st Astronomy, 1st Remote Sensing
2010 Nationals: 3rd Astronomy, 5th Remote Sensing
2011 States: 1st Astronomy, 2nd Wind Power, 5th Fossils
2011 Nationals: 1st Astronomy, 6th Wind Power
2012 States: 1st Astronomy, 1st Remote Sensing, 3rd Chemistry Lab

4 life-changing years.
reesabp
State: WA

Post by reesabp »

Yep. That test looks good :)

Also..does anyone have any good study resources for RS?

Thanks!
TheGenius

Post by TheGenius »

reesabp wrote:Also..does anyone have any good study resources for RS?
I would recommend you go through the test exchange and make sure you're familiar with everything on them.

Seracon
State: MN

Post by Seracon »

chocoholic123 wrote:So, this is my first time competing in this event at Nationals and I was wondering if anyone had tips on how to prepare for nationals? Are there any patterns/things in common with the National tests every year? Thanks!
Last year at Nationals, the test was fairly long. It'll probably be similar this year, assuming the same supervisor is writing the test.
On preparing, see if you can get your hands on previous Nationals tests. They cost some money to get, but are definitely the best way to prepare, especially if the supervisor is the same. Also, do as many practice tests you can find, see what you know and don't know.
MN Geologic Mapping Regional & State Coordinator
Gopher Science Olympiad Invitational Co-Chair (Div B)
http://sciolyumn.wordpress.com/about/

Return to “2013 Study Events”