Remote Sensing C

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: MD

Re: Remote Sensing C

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » January 5th, 2013, 11:39 am

I'm leaning towards c, since water changes temperature more slowly than land. So during the day land will have a higher temperature than water, but at night the water will have a higher temperature than the land.

For your second question, I'm thinking red implies heat or warmth, since that's the general implication, but it depends on what purpose the image is serving. It can represent a lot of things, all anyone has to do is set a false color scheme and bam, you've got red.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

meggers1221
Division: C
State: IL

Postby meggers1221 » January 5th, 2013, 12:11 pm

Thanks, so to clarify colors themselves do not mean much, it depends a lot more on brightness?
State Results:
2008: Food Science (1st)
2010: Compute This(1st), Science Crime Busters(2nd)

2013 Events: Materials Science, Forensics, Remote Sensing

zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Postby zyzzyva980 » January 5th, 2013, 1:27 pm

If you're trying to identify what certain colors represent in an image (this is in regards to your second question) you first have to identify if the image is true-color or false-color. (This is usually fairly simple: Does the image look real?). If it's true color then it should be easy. If it's false color it's usually a bit trickier, but it's also simple once you understand the process used to make false-color images.

In a nutshell, the sensor collects energy at different wavelengths on the spectrum. Since some wavelengths (mostly IR) can't be seen by humans in true color, they can be assigned a color to appear in the picture (hence the term false-color, since it's not the actual color). There are a lot of reasons you might do this, but one of the more common ones is making infrared appear red. In this case, it's similar to what EAST said- this will often represent vegetation and brighter shades of red represent healthier plants.

You should also use context when interpreting images- take into account all information you've been given for the image. For a bit more on how to interpret images, look no further than here
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

6nusher
State: NY

Postby 6nusher » January 23rd, 2013, 5:30 pm

Are there any measuring tools that would be helpful to bring into competition that aren't mentioned in the rules? I think the triangle, ruler and protractor pretty much covers it all, but if anyone has any other items they would recommend, that would be helpful.

FullMetalMaple
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: KS

Postby FullMetalMaple » January 23rd, 2013, 5:54 pm

The only measuring device I've ever had to use is a ruler. I believe you're also allowed a magnifying glass, which would probably be to your advantage to bring. You never know when you'll need it or anything else mentioned in the rules.

TheGenius

Postby TheGenius » January 23rd, 2013, 6:22 pm

Well, since you're allowed to bring in any measuring device, I would recommend bringing in a camera to photograph various objects in the room, such as other teams' tests. If the event supervisor seems uncertain regarding the legality of its usage, just tell him that you are simply applying remote sensing in the field. Better yet, bring in a cell phone and conduct measurements of local UHF emissions. Really, though, I just bring in a triangle/ruler, a protractor, and an electron microscope. No need to get fancy.
Any opinions expressed by TheGenius are those of individual brain cells and not necessarily those of the brain as a whole. Use information provided at your own risk.
152sQFbSTLEmeLiqUEWxmrEDpdiWKGvXJD

twirlfs
State: OH

Postby twirlfs » February 5th, 2013, 5:53 pm

Okay everyone I am completely new to this event! What should I particularly look over and study for this event? The events I've done in the past had powerpoints I could take notes off of, on the soinc website, but this one has no powerpoint...Also, do u have any strategies for making the 5 cheat sheets? The events I've done have only allowed one cheat sheet, double-sided so I am new to this! Thanks for all of your help! :)

TheGenius

Postby TheGenius » February 10th, 2013, 10:21 am

Okay everyone I am completely new to this event! What should I particularly look over and study for this event? The events I've done in the past had powerpoints I could take notes off of, on the soinc website, but this one has no powerpoint...Also, do u have any strategies for making the 5 cheat sheets? The events I've done have only allowed one cheat sheet, double-sided so I am new to this! Thanks for all of your help! :)
Do some of the tests from the Test Exchange. They should give you a good idea of how the event is generally run.
Any opinions expressed by TheGenius are those of individual brain cells and not necessarily those of the brain as a whole. Use information provided at your own risk.
152sQFbSTLEmeLiqUEWxmrEDpdiWKGvXJD

twirlfs
State: OH

Postby twirlfs » February 10th, 2013, 1:36 pm

Do some of the tests from the Test Exchange. They should give you a good idea of how the event is generally run.
ok I wil thanks!

ashley_198
State: NY

Postby ashley_198 » February 28th, 2013, 12:21 pm

Im new to this event- like i got assigned it 2 weeks ago- does anybody know where i can find what the false colors mean on the satellite images. also what are the best things to take notes on for this even.
~Ashley!~

Return to “2013 Study Events”