Dynamic Planet B/C

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
hexagonaria
Division: C
State: OH
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by hexagonaria »

I'll be honest, this year's topic sounds a bit dull :|
DFTBA
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

hexagonaria wrote:I'll be honest, this year's topic sounds a bit dull :|
Nah, it's pretty cool ;)

(sorry, couldn't resist)
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
mnstrviola
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: CA

Post by mnstrviola »

iwonder wrote:
Nah, it's pretty cool ;)

(sorry, couldn't resist)
Ice see what you did there, that was pretty cool.

But yeah, this year's topic is Glaciers. Fun fun fun. (not sure if I'm being sarcastic here myself...)
hexagonaria
State: OH

Post by hexagonaria »

I just think that last year's topic was more pun.
DFTBA
FullMetalMaple
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: KS

Post by FullMetalMaple »

I think this topic is exciting, actually. I used to live a few hours from the Columbia Icefield (obviously not in Kansas :P) - maybe having seen glaciers up close gives you a different perspective. *shrugs*

I found Earth's Fresh Water rather boring.
liutony66
State: TX

Post by liutony66 »

I think that one of the main difficulties with this event is the "lack" of abundant reference materials on glaciers. For example, for Earth's Fresh Waters there were lots of resources and the topic was quite broad. However, for this event I found only four books at the library for it, two of which were children's books, one of which was a book with only pictures, and the final one was a book with 20 something pages.
mnstrviola
State: CA

Post by mnstrviola »

liutony66 wrote:I think that one of the main difficulties with this event is the "lack" of abundant reference materials on glaciers. For example, for Earth's Fresh Waters there were lots of resources and the topic was quite broad. However, for this event I found only four books at the library for it, two of which were children's books, one of which was a book with only pictures, and the final one was a book with 20 something pages.
Very true. However, there's always Geology textbooks and online websites that have a small section dedicated to glaciers.
fozendog
State: WA

Post by fozendog »

liutony66 wrote:I think that one of the main difficulties with this event is the "lack" of abundant reference materials on glaciers. For example, for Earth's Fresh Waters there were lots of resources and the topic was quite broad. However, for this event I found only four books at the library for it, two of which were children's books, one of which was a book with only pictures, and the final one was a book with 20 something pages.
My library had maybe 2 helpful books that weren't all pictures. I actually found that some of the kids books are helpful for a base line of knowledge and although the concepts may seem simple it's always good to know your definitions of simple concepts/words.
Stanford '19
Camas Science Olympiad Alumnus
Events: Protein Modeling, Cell Biology, Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Dynamic Planet, Water Quality
A Person
State: KY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by A Person »

fozendog wrote:
My library had maybe 2 helpful books that weren't all pictures. I actually found that some of the kids books are helpful for a base line of knowledge and although the concepts may seem simple it's always good to know your definitions of simple concepts/words.
Although I'm not doing this event, I think that there is a large amount of material about glaciers. My science book several chapter on glaciers and it was only the top of the iceberg.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

Return to “2013 Study Events”