Road Scholar B

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Road Scholar B

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
ILoveEgretsClub
Division: C
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Re: Road Scholar B

Post by ILoveEgretsClub »

So what did everyone think about the Nats test?
silentsage
State: PA

Post by silentsage »

Not so bad, had a nice range of questions, but I would have liked to have seen more UTMs and less lat/lon. "Dobby" was also spelled wrong, and I don't want to talk about the storyline.
Road Scholar seems to depress everyone on my team who does it, but it's my favorite event...
I <3 DQIX and Squirtle
2013 RS National Champ
havenbro

Post by havenbro »

ILoveEgretsClub wrote:So what did everyone think about the Nats test?
There was one question asking the price of a ferry trip to the Dry Tortugas islands. I ended up taking that trip last summer. Other than that..... I liked it.
Nationals Medals:
2012: Meteorology B (6th Place)
2013: Reach for the Stars B (3rd Place)
PicturePerfect
State: CA

Post by PicturePerfect »

How exactly can you study for Roads? :\
2012-2013 Event Name | Best Finish |
Heredity | 2nd
Forestry | 3rd
Food Science | 5th
Team | 1st

2013-2014 Event Name | Best Finish |
Heredity | 4th
Water Quality | 7th
Shock Value | 7th
Wheeled Vehicle | 7th

2014-2015 Event Name | Best Finish |
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Probably the best way to prepare for Road Scholar is to practice a lot. Whether that's taking tests or just looking at maps, you've got to get a feel for everything: where the legend is what what info is on it, what different lines and symbols mean, using the scale, navigation, insets, etc. A lot of this can just be improved by looking at highway and topos. In my opinion, highway maps are easier since they're more readily available, less detailed, and the legend for symbols is printed right on the map, but this strategy works for topos too.

RS is one of those events where the rules are pretty clear, so go through the rules and see what topics you know, what you kind of know, and what you really need to work on. Then, you can look up the stuff you need to work on and study them. The official Science O website has some good links, and you should see if your coach has that Road Scholar Training Manual, which is also very helpful. And, as always, the Road Scholar Wiki is a fantastic place to start.

Again, a lot of Road Scholar is just practice and getting a feel for where everything is. There are lots of practice tests out there, so find one you want to do, ask your coach to get the maps for the test, and then off you go. For me, looking at maps was always a hobby of mine, so when I got to Road Scholar some things just came naturally, and that's the point where you're trying to get.

Good luck, and if you have any additional, more specific questions, feel free to ask!
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
da_narwhals
Division: B
State: TX

First Time at Road Scholar

Post by da_narwhals »

It's our first time at Road Scholar, so we pretty much have no idea what to do. I've read the wiki and put all that info into tutorials for teammates and such, including map symbols, but is there anything specifically that I should put in my binder?
Also, it's really hard to find maps that I can download or buy. Any links?
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

On the USGS website, there is a map locator and downloader you can use. The cookie settings are a little bit funky, so you might have to play with your browser's settings a little bit, but one that's set up, you can mark where you want to have your topo. Then, when you're finished marking, you can go back to Navigate (you'll see what I mean once you get the site working), and then when you click on the marker they'll give you an option to download or buy that quadrangle.

As for your binder, put anything that you think will be helpful. That could be past tests, print-outs, personal notes, anything you want really. Of course, you also need the symbol sheet and any instruments you're using, but my philosophy is, if you think it could be helpful, put it in. You might not use it every time, but it's there just in case. Most of the time, if you're pretty good, you won't be depending on your binder too much anyway.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
da_narwhals
State: TX

Post by da_narwhals »

On the USGS website, there is a map locator and downloader you can use. The cookie settings are a little bit funky, so you might have to play with your browser's settings a little bit, but one that's set up, you can mark where you want to have your topo. Then, when you're finished marking, you can go back to Navigate (you'll see what I mean once you get the site working), and then when you click on the marker they'll give you an option to download or buy that quadrangle.

As for your binder, put anything that you think will be helpful. That could be past tests, print-outs, personal notes, anything you want really. Of course, you also need the symbol sheet and any instruments you're using, but my philosophy is, if you think it could be helpful, put it in. You might not use it every time, but it's there just in case. Most of the time, if you're pretty good, you won't be depending on your binder too much anyway.
Thank you so much! I had some trouble with that website before, and didn't know how to fix the cookies.

EDIT
Do you have to put markings around where you want it to be?
Beastybob12345
State: CA

Post by Beastybob12345 »

da_narwhals wrote:

Thank you so much! I had some trouble with that website before, and didn't know how to fix the cookies.

EDIT
Do you have to put markings around where you want it to be?
You can also bring books.
EDIT
Or can you? I didn't bring any.
[img]https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcJRzoptYVlOdlPSHbLzFc37EVfbeQWvdCIdwEGVnkZvhxLbKBqA[/img]
Me----> Image

NorCal Science Olympiad is AWESOME!!!

Return to “2013 Study Events”