Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology B

Post by Skink »

Dunno offhand if it's a subtopic listed in the rules, but is it really a problem if it does come up? Cloud ID is second grade level work. :?
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

I wouldn't say it's second grade work, unless you're teaching a class of super second grade prodigies. There are a lot of clouds out there, some of which have very small differences, so I can definitely see a test having a section on naming different types of clouds. They might also throw in other meteorological phenomena.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
MMeteorite1
State: OH
Been thanked: 0

Post by MMeteorite1 »

cookiecandy123 wrote:I was wondering...has anyone been tested on identifying clouds? If you have, how were you tested? Did they also ask for information about the cloud? Thank you! :D

4 different invitationals for us, all had some questions on clouds. Usually its pictures with filling or matching to a word bank. Often cloud ID and other phenom such as auroras, green flash, belt of venus, holos and sundog are group together as part of a visual recognition. Key can often be how group the quality of the picture is on your test. I have heard, but never experienced first hand of moderators using a powerpoint slide show with clouds and phenon scrolling during test.

Start with the basics: height and shapes, then progress to the unusally like lenticular, mammatus, wall, shelf, noctilucent,nacreous and my favorite, Kelvin-Helmhotz clouds. Google Cloud and Weather Phemom images. I have found that often test makers will use images from the 1st few rows, sometimes identically.
cookiecandy123
Division: B
State: CA

Post by cookiecandy123 »

Thank you for answering my questions! :D It will help me a lot in preparing for state.
pranmar12345
State: SD

Post by pranmar12345 »

Hey Guys. I thought I had all the things ready but it truns out my coach gave me the wrong topic. She said that she insited that it was climate evevn thought it said everyday weather. so now she says its everyday weather -_- !!! Can anyone PLEASE HELP ME??? PLEASE? :evil:
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Skink »

Climate was last season's topic from last season's rules. The current rules are, in fact, on everyday weather. And the list of subtopics is loooooong, so get a copy of the *current* rules from your coach.
MetCoach

Post by MetCoach »

Hi All,

I am a new coach on this subject. We are heading to States and have a somewhat good handle on the topic.

My question is - what are the Met B tests like at States, based on past years experience? I know the topics change, but am curious about length, subject depth, technical skills, and any other tips/advice.

We are looking to really step up our practices over the next few weeks and as much information we can pull together - the better!

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Tower Heights (Centerville) Met B Coach
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Skink »

General answer:
The topics don't change; they're listed in the rules. The expectation is that State tests are more challenging than Regional tests. Assume use of process skills wherever possible.

For Ohio-specific info regarding Ohio's Meteorology event supervisor, you'd have to ask someone by you. MMeteorite on here may or may not know.
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
State: GA

Post by rfscoach »

MetCoach wrote:Hi All,

I am a new coach on this subject. We are heading to States and have a somewhat good handle on the topic.

My question is - what are the Met B tests like at States, based on past years experience? I know the topics change, but am curious about length, subject depth, technical skills, and any other tips/advice.

We are looking to really step up our practices over the next few weeks and as much information we can pull together - the better!

Ask Centerville HS SO team members who did the event in middle school to give you some feed back.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
MMeteorite1

Post by MMeteorite1 »

MetCoach wrote:Hi All,

I will PM you

Return to “2013 Study Events”