Meteorology B

User avatar
ScienceOlympian
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 189
Joined: January 1st, 2013, 2:43 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Location: Northern California
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology B

Post by ScienceOlympian » April 6th, 2013, 11:54 am

What unusual cloud formations are there?
I put the common cloud types
Altocumulus lenticular
Mammatus
Pyrocumulus
and pileus.
What other clouds should I put in the notes?
2017: Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry Lab, Materials Science, Experimental Design, Hydrogeology
ScienceOlympian's Userpage

mrburrito
Member
Member
Posts: 122
Joined: March 4th, 2013, 4:13 pm
Division: B
State: TN
Location: Does anyone actually use this the right way?
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology B

Post by mrburrito » April 12th, 2013, 6:04 pm

You should have a chart showing all the cloud types, it doesn't fill up much space.
I bet you had to read this twice

Meliores Sumus Te

Visit my Wiki page: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Mrburrito

mrburrito
Member
Member
Posts: 122
Joined: March 4th, 2013, 4:13 pm
Division: B
State: TN
Location: Does anyone actually use this the right way?
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology B

Post by mrburrito » April 17th, 2013, 3:46 pm

What team, at this point in the year, do you guys think is the strongest in meteorology? I really can't tell right now.
I bet you had to read this twice

Meliores Sumus Te

Visit my Wiki page: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Mrburrito

Hosj
Member
Member
Posts: 84
Joined: February 19th, 2012, 6:20 pm
Division: C
State: MD
Location: Ms. Lofeetweek's Room, Bethesda Maryland
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology B

Post by Hosj » April 21st, 2013, 6:03 am

I just had States yesterday, and it was run in stations!!! Just think people should be prepared for anything. ( we took first both in meteorology and overall!! We are going to nationals!!!)
Nationals 2013: Meteorology 2nd, Water Quality 7th, Dynamic Planet 28th, Helicopters 41st
Nationals 2014:Hydrogeology 8th, Game On 25th

cookiecandy123
Member
Member
Posts: 36
Joined: January 9th, 2013, 7:29 pm
Division: B
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology B

Post by cookiecandy123 » April 21st, 2013, 2:21 pm

Hosj, did you have to identify clouds and optical phenomena at every station? Is that why the test was set up in stations?

Hosj
Member
Member
Posts: 84
Joined: February 19th, 2012, 6:20 pm
Division: C
State: MD
Location: Ms. Lofeetweek's Room, Bethesda Maryland
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology B

Post by Hosj » April 22nd, 2013, 3:30 am

cookiecandy123 wrote:Hosj, did you have to identify clouds and optical phenomena at every station? Is that why the test was set up in stations?
No, there was absolutely no clouds or optical phenomena. There was a lot about weather station models and air masses.
Nationals 2013: Meteorology 2nd, Water Quality 7th, Dynamic Planet 28th, Helicopters 41st
Nationals 2014:Hydrogeology 8th, Game On 25th

User avatar
Toms_42
Member
Member
Posts: 143
Joined: November 17th, 2012, 6:57 am
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: Shady Side Academy HS; Pittsburgh PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Meteorology B

Post by Toms_42 » April 22nd, 2013, 2:18 pm

anyone have any good dopplar resources and/or important things to know? we got stumped on questions such as "what is a vault" and "what does a hook echo mean"
Image

User avatar
tornado guy
Member
Member
Posts: 449
Joined: April 17th, 2011, 7:23 pm
Division: C
State: WA
Location: PAPERMAKERS!
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology B

Post by tornado guy » April 23rd, 2013, 12:52 pm

Toms_42 wrote:anyone have any good dopplar resources and/or important things to know? we got stumped on questions such as "what is a vault" and "what does a hook echo mean"
Hook echo is the part of the thunderstorm where the precipitation is "wrapped" around a mesocyclone. A hook echo usually shows that there is a good chance for a tornado. The term Vault sounds vaguely familiar but I would need to research that up to help you out. NWS actually has some great pages explaining what radar is and how it works.

If anyone has questions about Meteorology ever, feel free to shoot me up a PM :)
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.

Hosj
Member
Member
Posts: 84
Joined: February 19th, 2012, 6:20 pm
Division: C
State: MD
Location: Ms. Lofeetweek's Room, Bethesda Maryland
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology B

Post by Hosj » April 23rd, 2013, 1:28 pm

The vault is the core region of highest precipitation and highest reflectivites. If hail is occuring, it is largest in the vault. When the rain is pouring down in sheets, you are in the vault.
Nationals 2013: Meteorology 2nd, Water Quality 7th, Dynamic Planet 28th, Helicopters 41st
Nationals 2014:Hydrogeology 8th, Game On 25th

User avatar
Toms_42
Member
Member
Posts: 143
Joined: November 17th, 2012, 6:57 am
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: Shady Side Academy HS; Pittsburgh PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Meteorology B

Post by Toms_42 » April 23rd, 2013, 2:39 pm

tornado guy wrote:
Toms_42 wrote:anyone have any good dopplar resources and/or important things to know? we got stumped on questions such as "what is a vault" and "what does a hook echo mean"
Hook echo is the part of the thunderstorm where the precipitation is "wrapped" around a mesocyclone. A hook echo usually shows that there is a good chance for a tornado. The term Vault sounds vaguely familiar but I would need to research that up to help you out. NWS actually has some great pages explaining what radar is and how it works.

If anyone has questions about Meteorology ever, feel free to shoot me up a PM :)
hossj wrote:The vault is the core region of highest precipitation and highest reflectivites. If hail is occuring, it is largest in the vault. When the rain is pouring down in sheets, you are in the vault.
Thanks to both of you, we have states this Friday, so this Is helpful.
Image

Locked

Return to “2013 Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest