theriddler
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0

Re: Triple E [NY & TX Trial]

Post by theriddler »

Cello_piano wrote:
EAtBaNAna wrote:*sigh*
I just have to memorize the stuff for turtles and whales but some of them are confusing...
Does anyone know how the tournament assignments will be presented once the event begins?
Doesn't New York get a whole binder... so you don't have to memorize things.... The test should be run in stations, multiple choice and two or more answers per question. This is for Texas. Check on the rules for New York.
Do you think that we'd have enough time to reference our notes for each question? Or would it take longer to get the facts straight in our head for each question? If we were to memorize it, would it be better for each of us to memorize all animals, or each memorize half?
"A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame somebody else"-John Burroughs
strawberrygirl
State: TX
Been thanked: 0

Post by strawberrygirl »

theriddler wrote: Do you think that we'd have enough time to reference our notes for each question? Or would it take longer to get the facts straight in our head for each question? If we were to memorize it, would it be better for each of us to memorize all animals, or each memorize half?
In the texas rules, it states that the test will be 50 questions long and multiple choice. You should check your state's rules.
As for the ID, at our last tournament, my partner and I both memorized how to identify all animals since they're all pretty easy to ID. The test was in stations with 3 minutes per station and 2-4 questions at each station. Three minutes was actually plenty of time---we were pretty much sitting around waiting for the time to be up most of the time.

Now about referencing notes for each question, it really depends on the length of the test, as well as how you organize your notecards/binder. A typical proctor, especially at an invitational, will probably not put in the time to write more than about 50 questions. Also, I would personally find it difficult to memorize the dates of introduction and scientific names, but I suppose you could be familiar with the ecological impact, etc.

Hope this helps :D
sciolyynerdd

Post by sciolyynerdd »

hii does anyone know all the federal laws that we should know regarding the animals?
also, where can we find information for the exotic animals

this is NY trial btw :D

thankyouu :)
Scioly FTW! :D
-Forensics 2012 6th place
silverheart7
Division: Grad

Post by silverheart7 »

Would reading/buying/studying a general Ecology or Environmental textbook aid in learning this event? If so, does anyone have any recommendations?
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
sciolyynerdd

Post by sciolyynerdd »

hi does anyone know what laws should we study? the major one is ESA and that's all i got :/
Scioly FTW! :D
-Forensics 2012 6th place
darkdeserthighway

Post by darkdeserthighway »

Hi, does anyone know of any helpful documents/links that would cover the non ID portions of this event?
2015 States- Invasives 10th, Fossils 12th
2014 States- Rocks and Minerals 3rd
2013 States- Rocks and Minerals 7th, Water Quality 9th
2012 States- Rocks and Minerals 10th
cupcakegirl
State: TX

Post by cupcakegirl »

darkdeserthighway wrote:Hi, does anyone know of any helpful documents/links that would cover the non ID portions of this event?
Well, the rules are different in New York and Texas and I don't know what state you are from. If you are in Texas, really the only useful source is TPWD (Texas Parks and Wildlife Department). If you're in New York, sorry, but I have no idea.
2013 Nationals Results: Water Quality-2nd, Food Science-6th, Crime Busters-13th, Team- 7th
2014 National Results: Water Quality- 7th, Can't Judge A Powder- 6th, Crime Busters- 4th, Heredity- 5th, Team- FIRST!!!
2015 Events: Forensics, Green Generation, Fossils
darkdeserthighway

Okay thanks.
silverheart7

Post by silverheart7 »

I figured I'd point out a good way to divide the list with your partner if you're using the New York List. If you give one partner the Endangered Animals, they'll have 19 to study. If you give the other the Exotic, Extinct, and Extirpated, they'll have 22. It's pretty easy, and just about equal. I think it works well, but we'll see. :D
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
darkdeserthighway

What is the scientific name for a cougar? Is it Puma concolor or Felis concolor? confusing

Return to “2013 Study Events”