Triple E [NY & TX Trial]

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Triple E [NY & TX Trial]

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
caseyotis
Division: C
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Re: Triple E [NY Trial]

Post by caseyotis »

Yes! Finally, this thread is here...
It might also be worthwhile to add that this is also a trial event in Texas. I don't know if it's a trial anywhere else, but whatever.

I'd love to hear people's study methods! For New Yorkers, I found that the website http://www.dec.ny.gov helped a lot with endangered and extirpated animals.
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
theriddler

Re: Triple E [NY & TX Trial]

Post by theriddler »

I am also glad this is here. Do you plan on including the animal's diet and habitat also? Should we? According to the rules, we don't have to, but it seems to help. And also, what can be another effect of declining biodiversity besides corruption in food chain?
"A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame somebody else"-John Burroughs
caseyotis

Post by caseyotis »

Well, I was thinking about that as well. I concluded that if its diet/habitat had a significant impact on its endangered or invasive status. For example, if an animal is introduced somewhere and starts consuming many of one organism, they would be considered invasive because they are upsetting the homeostasis by means of diet. It doesn't specifically state diet/habitat in the guidelines, but it also says to state the organism's impact on the community, and that may or may not be significant, depending on the species. If that makes sense. 8-)

That part confused me, actually, but I'd guess it's more general. I don't really have a good answer to that.
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
eye.”
juicemanman
Division: B

Post by juicemanman »

Do you know if there is a test exchange anywhere? I didn't see Triple E under the Test Exchange link. I usually use the tests to tell me what kind of things to put on my notes.
You can't read this. You mad bro?
cupcakegirl
State: TX

Post by cupcakegirl »

Wow, you New York guys are lucky. While you guys get a whole binder, what do we get? 25 handwritten and hand-drawn notecards. Stupid Texas :roll:
I did this event once last year in Texas, and I would say the ID part is easy, especially since your taxa list is much shorter than ours, but you will need to know it. You might as well include information in the binder not explicitly stated in the rules, especially since you get the whole binder. Make sure you include all of the distributions, just a tip :) And that is all I feel like typing for now, especially since the first competition that might have trials in Texas isn't until January :) I hope this helps someone at least a little bit...
2013 Nationals Results: Water Quality-2nd, Food Science-6th, Crime Busters-13th, Team- 7th
2014 National Results: Water Quality- 7th, Can't Judge A Powder- 6th, Crime Busters- 4th, Heredity- 5th, Team- FIRST!!!
2015 Events: Forensics, Green Generation, Fossils
caseyotis

Post by caseyotis »

juicemanman wrote:Do you know if there is a test exchange anywhere? I didn't see Triple E under the Test Exchange link. I usually use the tests to tell me what kind of things to put on my notes.
There aren't any tests around that I can find. >.> I'm hoping some invitationals can start so we can steal the tests from them, if possible. XD I still don't know the whole layout, though.
cupcakegirl wrote:Wow, you New York guys are lucky. While you guys get a whole binder, what do we get? 25 handwritten and hand-drawn notecards. Stupid Texas :roll:
I did this event once last year in Texas, and I would say the ID part is easy, especially since your taxa list is much shorter than ours, but you will need to know it. You might as well include information in the binder not explicitly stated in the rules, especially since you get the whole binder. Make sure you include all of the distributions, just a tip :) And that is all I feel like typing for now, especially since the first competition that might have trials in Texas isn't until January :) I hope this helps someone at least a little bit...
I thought that was a pretty unique idea, and it could turn out nicely. It does mean that you have to memorize more, which gives you an advantage of knowledge over having a binder with things you don't necessarily know. And distributions... Does this mean different areas where an invasive species has been spread or different habitats of an endangered species?

EDIT: Just in case someone else reads this.
Am I the only one having trouble finding good info on the Red-Bellied Cooter (Pseudemys rubriventris)? It says at many sources that it's endangered and threatened, but I have found nothing on its introduced status. It's listed as Exotic on the guideline. I don't know what to do! :o
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
eye.”
sciolyynerdd

Post by sciolyynerdd »

hiii does anyone know where i can find the trial events manual page for triple E? or can one of you post a link or send it to me? thank you so muchh!!! :D (oh this is for NY btw)
Scioly FTW! :D
-Forensics 2012 6th place
Flavorflav
Division: Grad

Post by Flavorflav »

sciolyynerdd