Triple E [NY & TX Trial]

Javier
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Triple E [NY & TX Trial]

Post by Javier »

What type of samples will we be given to identify? (e.g. skeletons, images of live stuff, skulls, etc.)
silverheart7
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by silverheart7 »

Javier wrote:What type of samples will we be given to identify? (e.g. skeletons, images of live stuff, skulls, etc.)
I'm hoping for pictures, because that is what I am ready for. If I got a skeleton or skull at a station, I'd probably shriek and run out of the room. I'm a bit... er... squeamish when it comes to that sort of thing.

I don't believe most people have that sort of thing lying around, though. I think in all likelihood it will be pictures, because of ease of finding/setting up and that most teams would be ready for that sort of thing. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
silverheart7

Post by silverheart7 »

darkdeserthighway wrote:What is the scientific name for a cougar? Is it Puma concolor or Felis concolor? confusing
I believe it is Felis concolor, or at least that is the name I know.
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

lucentmemories
Division: C

Post by lucentmemories »

silverheart7 wrote:
Javier wrote:What type of samples will we be given to identify? (e.g. skeletons, images of live stuff, skulls, etc.)
I'm hoping for pictures, because that is what I am ready for. If I got a skeleton or skull at a station, I'd probably shriek and run out of the room. I'm a bit... er... squeamish when it comes to that sort of thing.

I don't believe most people have that sort of thing lying around, though. I think in all likelihood it will be pictures, because of ease of finding/setting up and that most teams would be ready for that sort of thing. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.
At an invites I competed at, all IDs were pictures of the animals. At regionals there was one station that had the nest of a bird and another one showing a tree that was damaged by an Emerald Ash Borer. Other than that the rest were all pictures, so I doubt we'd ever get a skeleton to ID.
Yes, I do events. No, I will not put them in my signature.
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

silverheart7 wrote:
darkdeserthighway wrote:What is the scientific name for a cougar? Is it Puma concolor or Felis concolor? confusing
It is really Puma concolor since 1996, but the rules in New York list it as Felis concolor, so that is what you should write.
EAtBaNAna
Division: B

Post by EAtBaNAna »

My rules
Flavorflav wrote:
silverheart7 wrote:
It is really Puma concolor since 1996, but the rules in New York list it as Felis concolor, so that is what you should write.
My rules and the DEC say the Latin name is Puma concolor cougar but meh. Anyway, I know we can bring a binder but flipping through it takes too long, so my partner and I each memorized the parts we assigned. Also, I think the most important laws and things would have to do with the Endangered Species Act, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and then smaller state laws.

So to answer the earlier question, I think each of you memorizing half of the animals would be more efficient. For example, I memorized the exotics and all of the turtles and whales and my partner took the rest.
Moving on to NY states :D

Heredity: 3rd
Triple E: 2nd

Go Yonkers!
silverheart7

Post by silverheart7 »

I sent an email to newyorkscioly, and this is what they said:
It is not a mistake. There is a population of Red-bellied Cooters in Massachusetts that is listed as Endangered. There is speculation (because of that disjunct population in Mass) that Red Bellied Cooters may have once been found here, but were completely wiped out by turtle hunters in the 1800's.The cooters that are currently found in New York are thought to be pet-releases. So it is an interesting case of a likely native turned exotic, which is why it made the list.

zy__karen17

Post by zy__karen17 »

Does anybody have any good tests for EEE?
EAtBaNAna

Post by EAtBaNAna »

I haven't found any good tests besides little practice reviews: http://quizlet.com/18921027/new-york-st ... ash-cards/
Moving on to NY states :D

Heredity: 3rd
Triple E: 2nd

Go Yonkers!
3starBlueberry

Post by 3starBlueberry »

EAtBaNAna wrote:I haven't found any good tests besides little practice reviews: http://quizlet.com/18921027/new-york-st ... ash-cards/
Oh my god... my partner and I made that for review! You can thank us later :)
I AM NEAP. YOU ARE NEAP. WE ARE ALL NEAP.

ANYWHO:
2012~ 2ND IN WATER QUALITY (REGIONALS)

2013~ 1ST IN TRIPLE E (REGIONALS)
7TH IN HELICOPTERS
8TH IN WATER QUALITY (STATES)

2014~ 2nd IN INVASIVES
6TH IN ENTOMOLOGY

- DANIE
A PROUD MEMBER OF THE C.P. WEBER MS SCIOLY TEAM A:)

Return to “2013 Study Events”