syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: Geomaps C [NY Trial]

Post by syo_astro »

Crazy Puny Man wrote: ...what's hobbyist mapping? :oops:
I'm not fully sure if it's a real thing, but basically I've found online that there are many hobbyists who just go around messing with GPS's or taking out a topo map and learning about this stuff like with Road Scholar. Except, field geology can kind of take that to another level...in part because if you look some of it up sometimes aside from USGS you can find that the military uses some of this stuff...but some people I think really just have fun with this stuff. Like the UTM system is apparently different from some MGRS that is the same thing except used by everyday people (at least...I'm not sure if what I've heard is right).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
Crazy Puny Man
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Crazy Puny Man »

syo_astro wrote:
Crazy Puny Man wrote: ...what's hobbyist mapping? :oops:
I'm not fully sure if it's a real thing, but basically I've found online that there are many hobbyists who just go around messing with GPS's or taking out a topo map and learning about this stuff like with Road Scholar. Except, field geology can kind of take that to another level...in part because if you look some of it up sometimes aside from USGS you can find that the military uses some of this stuff...but some people I think really just have fun with this stuff. Like the UTM system is apparently different from some MGRS that is the same thing except used by everyday people (at least...I'm not sure if what I've heard is right).
...wut...?...I still don't get what hobbyist mapping is...it's just this type of stuff (i.e. making maps and other stuff that's part of the event), but people just do it for pigeon and giggles?
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

Crazy Puny Man wrote: ...wut...?...I still don't get what hobbyist mapping is...it's just this type of stuff (i.e. making maps and other stuff that's part of the event), but people just do it for butterfly and giggles?
Oh, I'm just kind of trying to say people do this stuff, so there are sources online for it >.>. In fact, the event doesn't involve making maps either, it's kind of distinct in some ways from what I've heard of Road Scholar. There are aspects that are used by the military, used by college people, and used by people who are hobbyists (just like this type of stuff). But it's all about...Geologic Mapping. The topographic map and stereonet are I think most commonly used, but there's a lot that can be done just with Geology and Mapping. Is there an aspect of that that's unclear, sorry >.>.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Crazy Puny Man
State: IN

Post by Crazy Puny Man »

No, I got it now, thanks! :mrgreen:
SilverXa
Division: B
State: CA

Post by SilverXa »

Does anyone know whether this event will be in other states, such as Oregon or California?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance! :D
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

SilverXa wrote:Does anyone know whether this event will be in other states, such as Oregon or California?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance! :D
Right now I believe it's tentatively a national event! Exciting, right? Maybe this topic will get more action next year XD.

Return to “2013 Study Events”