Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Geomaps C [NY Trial]

Post by Jim_R »

A discussion topic for Geomaps C.

Rules
-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Re: Geomaps C [NY Trial]

Post by syo_astro »

Hehe, at least the rules are better than last year...what to do, what to do...(I wonder if any other states have to go through this...monster).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
sciencegeek100
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Post by sciencegeek100 »

syo_astro wrote:Hehe, at least the rules are better than last year...what to do, what to do...(I wonder if any other states have to go through this...monster).
it looks fun...

but I am a geology major
Nationals History...

2008: Team 1st, Rocks 2nd
2009: Team 3rd, Fossils 7th
2010: Team 5th, Fossils 4th, Ornithology 7th Egg o Naut 6th
2011: Team 4th, Ornithology 3rd
2012: Team 2nd (Assistant Coach)
2013: Team 3rd (Assistant Coach)
Cedavis6

Post by Cedavis6 »

Will this be an event next year?
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

Yes, in C.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
Crazy Puny Man
State: IN

Post by Crazy Puny Man »

Any suggestions for resources out there...?

It seems to me like a geology book would be the most helpful to study for this...
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

Crazy Puny Man wrote:Any suggestions for resources out there...?

It seems to me like a geology book would be the most helpful to study for this...
Yeah, a textbook...may help. I'm trying to find time to work on making the wiki for this. But I do guarantee that there are online sources for this event after doing it for two years. But hey, if you find something that doesn't take much work tell me how since I've had to spend a fair amount of time trying to understand this event XD. But it's had its...interesting moments.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Crazy Puny Man

Post by Crazy Puny Man »

I've talked to the two alternates on my team who did Geologic at Nationals...they said the test was weird. And all of their studying came from online, and they landed...48th. I mean, a good part of that was probably because they just didn't study much, but they said that there was some really weird stuff on the test, and it sounded like it came out of a geology textbook or something, so I thought...

But it is largely a combination of Dynamic Planet, Road Scholar, and Remote Sensing? Plus bits and pieces of other Earth Science? (side note: does the event overlap a bit with Rocks & Minerals?)
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

It can be weird at times, that's for sure. But that's just it takes from what I've seen aspects of hobbyist mapping and college-level structural geology and mapping/geodesy in certain parts. It's not...easy, but then again what scioly event is? It has aspects of Road Scholar, but it's in essence its own even just because of the amount of mapping combined with geology (there haven't been any highway maps I've seen yet...).

There are tons of things online, and it takes a lot of studying imo. I guess a geology textbook helps, but some of it is hobbyist mapping...there's nothing really specific you can study for that aside from practice, a major aspect to this event. I think studying for this and trying to get first at nats would take the same amount of work as any other event (eg. using every resource available, searching through all the rules, books, etc).

The one issue I've faced is that every single test I've had had an aspect that was...different. Like none of my tests were at all the same. So if anyone else finds tips that'd be welcome...it's in part because for NYS this year there was a rules change from the nats rules (which actually were our rules last year). But as for its overlap with Rocks, it has a slight amount with knowing how to do relative age dating of strata and a slight bit with knowing popular rocks terms (like I guess this wouldn't normally come up, but a question I had asked about what oil drilling into shale layers was controversial...basically I think it was fracking or something, also there was something about what some layers would metamorphose into or something weird).

Hope that helped, sorry for the long response...any other questions/comments >.>. Or any tips yourself ;).
Crazy Puny Man

Post by Crazy Puny Man »

syo_astro wrote:It can be weird at times, that's for sure. But that's just it takes from what I've seen aspects of hobbyist mapping and college-level structural geology and mapping/geodesy in certain parts. It's not...easy, but then again what scioly event is? It has aspects of Road Scholar, but it's in essence its own even just because of the amount of mapping combined with geology (there haven't been any highway maps I've seen yet...).

There are tons of things online, and it takes a lot of studying imo. I guess a geology textbook helps, but some of it is hobbyist mapping...there's nothing really specific you can study for that aside from practice, a major aspect to this event. I think studying for this and trying to get first at nats would take the same amount of work as any other event (eg. using every resource available, searching through all the rules, books, etc).

The one issue I've faced is that every single test I've had had an aspect that was...different. Like none of my tests were at all the same. So if anyone else finds tips that'd be welcome...it's in part because for NYS this year there was a rules change from the nats rules (which actually were our rules last year). But as for its overlap with Rocks, it has a slight amount with knowing how to do relative age dating of strata and a slight bit with knowing popular rocks terms (like I guess this wouldn't normally come up, but a question I had asked about what oil drilling into shale layers was controversial...basically I think it was fracking or something, also there was something about what some layers would metamorphose into or something weird).

Hope that helped, sorry for the long response...any other questions/comments >.>. Or any tips yourself ;).
...what's hobbyist mapping? :oops:

Return to “2013 Study Events”