Helicopters B

retired1
Division: Grad
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Helicopters B

Post by retired1 »

The FL state event was held at UCF again. Glider, Chopper, Mousetrap and Gravity were held in the education gym. While not perfect, it is better than where they held the 2012 National Event. Not quite as high, but fewer overhead obstructions. I say that even tho our first team lost their best chopper in them.

From what I have seen, the optimum site for chopper and glider is the foyer to the arena. It is high, good ceiling, quite large and normally not used. Doors can be limited to 1 to limit the drafts. Stairwells can be taped off to keep people out of some areas. Bathroom facilities are easy access on the same floor. They said that they could not have it for this year's state event, but it would be great. It would require portable bleachers for the audience. Please beg.
erikb
Division: C
State: CO

Post by erikb »

The reason I asked for the basketball courts on either end of the volleyball gym is that they had acoustic tile ceilings and were more than high enough

The reason I object to the volleyball gym is the trusses are a monster waiting to catch helicopters

Now, for gliders it is a different story. Demonstrating the best way to take advantage of the ceiling by knowledge of trimming is an important piece for gliders. The team that can best get their gliders to take advantage of the obstacles is the one that knows the most about their glider

Next, different ceiling heights require different gliders. The ceiling at UFC is at least 15 feet higher. That puts it at the upper edge of what the flapper design can do. If it is 50 feet or more then a different type of glider then the ones that won this year will need to be used.

Finally, you complained about year to year advantage in the glider thread. If you keep the ceilings about the same height, next year the winning teams will be a far ahead of everyone else.
--
Poudre High School, Fort Collins CO.
retired1

Post by retired1 »

Are you referring to UCF or where? If UCF, which building are you calling the volleyball court?
chalker7
State: HI

Post by chalker7 »

retired1 wrote:Are you referring to UCF or where? If UCF, which building are you calling the volleyball court?
Yes, Helicopters was held in "The Venue" at UCF last year, which in actuality is a very large volleyball gym. I do not know the precise details for next year yet.
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
retired1

Post by retired1 »

[quote="erikb"]The reason I asked for the basketball courts on either end of the volleyball gym is that they had acoustic tile ceilings and were more than high enough

I am not aware of that basketball gym. They certainly will not let us use the arena gym.

I am not sure, but I would guess that the venue rafters were about 35'

Return to “Helicopters B”