Ongoing Contest(Scores)

ckssv07
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ongoing Contest(Scores)

Post by ckssv07 »

havenguy wrote:So, I guess these are the top scores that have been seen so far in Division B (that are going to Nationals)

1. Daniel Wright- 2029
2. Shady Side- 1600
3. JC Booth? No official score, but a couple of months ago they were at 1450
4. Solon? No official score given, but >1400
5. Meads Mill- 1428
6. Lakeshore- 1360
7. Preston MS- 1330
8. Strath Haven- 1320
9. Winston Churchill- 1200

Does anyone have anything to add? Like ckssv07, I'm just trying to get a bearing of the competition at Nationals.
Also, it might help us if we knew if the competitions had a hand pour or an auto filler.
PA had a hand fill.
thsom
State: IL

Post by thsom »

IL had auto filler
ckssv07

Post by ckssv07 »

So, I guess these are the top scores that have been seen so far in Division B (that are going to Nationals)

1. Daniel Wright- 2029-auto
2. Shady Side- 1606-hand
3. JC Booth? No official score, but a couple of months ago they were at 1450
4. Solon? No official score given, but >1400
5. Meads Mill- 1428
6. Lakeshore- 1360
7. Preston MS- 1330
8. Strath Haven- 1320-hand
9. Winston Churchill- 1200-auto-I believe because they got a similar score at regionals on an auto fill i believe.
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

So we had state yesterday... I think it was due to transport damage, but my boom had a tension member shear along a line about 30 degrees off of axial, it might've just been a bad grain that I didn't notice. Anyways, the 9.3g boom held 5kg for a score of something in the mid-600s and got 6th place. I'm kinda surprised at the placing, I expected way lower. It does suck coming off of a pervious score of 1250 though. I'm going to try and repair the break and load it again(it didn't break any other members...)
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
drifter601

Post by drifter601 »

thsom wrote:IL had auto filler
what's auto filler?
My dream car (in profile picture): a Nissan Skyline GTR R34...
ckssv07

Post by ckssv07 »

drifter601 wrote:
thsom wrote:IL had auto filler
what's auto filler?
It is when there is a container of sand, and then you pull a lever and the sand gets poured into the bucket, opposed to scooping from one bucket to another.
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by dholdgreve »

There is probably a way to create a poll, but I have no idea how to do this, so, just out of curiosity, I'd really like to know which you guys prefer... auto-loader, where you can control the rate of flow with the lever, or hand loading it with a large cup
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
ckssv07

Post by ckssv07 »

dholdgreve wrote:There is probably a way to create a poll, but I have no idea how to do this, so, just out of curiosity, I'd really like to know which you guys prefer... auto-loader, where you can control the rate of flow with the lever, or hand loading it with a large cup
Auto, its much more reliable.
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad

Post by iwonder »

Auto loader, it's more even and smooth.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
State: CO

Post by Balsa Man »

dholdgreve wrote:There is probably a way to create a poll, but I have no idea how to do this, so, just out of curiosity, I'd really like to know which you guys prefer... auto-loader, where you can control the rate of flow with the lever, or hand loading it with a large cup
Auto loader, for sure.
Evenness, smoothness- very important. Not only is the flow/the addition of load smooth and steady, as opposed to in increments/bumps, the potential for bumping the bucket/handle and causing swing, every time you add a scoop, is eliminated. Using a scoop also makes it harder for the person steadying the bucket to do their job, because they have to stay out of the way of the scooper.
Even more important than this, especially if you're running a .....competitive structure is TIME. If you're pushing a structure to where its going to break, you want to get the load on as fast as you (steadily) can. Once its up near its limit, time is your enemy; if anything is starting to deflect, given time, it will....likely progress to failure. Because there is a stream/volume of sand/increment of weight.....in transit, from the mouth of the spout, to the top of the sand pile in the bucket, even instantly releasing the pour lever, you get a bit more sand/a few more points. The extra time it takes with a scoop as you get to the bottom of the supply bucket, to get those last few scoops out, and into the load bucket happens at the worst possible time- while the structure is heavily loaded, and if designed right, right on the verge of failure. Good example in what happened to us at State. Our Team 2 loader did it just right; eased it open to get a bit of "settling" weight in, quick but steady opening to full flow; loading done in about 10 seconds. Applause, high-fiving, smiles, and about 5-6 seconds after the last sand went in, POW; it broke. Our Team 1 loader....forgot that part of the coaching; took over a minute to get to 10k, and it broke shortly thereafter; boom was 2 gr lighter. I firmly believe had it gotten a 10 second load, it would have beaten Team 2
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO

Return to “Boomilever B/C”