A Person
Division: Grad
State: KY
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: task c

Post by A Person »

Jkwashbourne wrote:We used a fan to move a small plastic "boat" on a "pond" (box of water).
Please note that (I think) no liquids are allowed.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
Jkwashbourne
Division: B
State: CA

Post by Jkwashbourne »

The rules say that hazardous liquids are not permitted. Seems a stretch to classify water as hazardous in such a small quantity.
Splicerblade
State: NJ

Re: Mission Possible B

Post by Splicerblade »

I am not clear about " 3rd class lever can't touch an object at the beginning or end of the task". Please help me to visualize this.
DatScienceKid
Division: C
State: WI

Post by DatScienceKid »

Okay, so it's still my first year doing this. I made some plans, and if all would go well, we would be awarded about 800 points. Is that a little, or a lot? Please? If so, we shalt win for sure :twisted:
Third year!

Disease Detectives, Bio Process Lab, Experimental Design

(Former) Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Solar Systems, Heredity
hogger

Post by hogger »

Splicerblade wrote:I am not clear about " 3rd class lever can't touch an object at the beginning or end of the task". Please help me to visualize this.
For example, a catapult that is released and hit a ball hanging at the end of a string, the ball swings up at least 15 cm to cause other action.
queenelf
State: OH

Post by queenelf »

Jkwashbourne wrote:The rules say that hazardous liquids are not permitted. Seems a stretch to classify water as hazardous in such a small quantity.
I would agree- but keep in mind most competitive teams use electrical circuits. Water and electricity could seriously mess up your box if something spilled or went wrong....so maybe that's what they mean.
simoncao wrote:I was just thinking... What if you have a weight/mass, like one of those that science teachers put on their scales to demonstrate how to measure mass, and it is filled with small metal beads. I do not know if the beads are made out of lead or not. Will the judges give you the benefit of the doubt because there is no way to be sure if its lead or not? or will they automatically mark you for that?
I personally wouldn't take the risk. If the metal substance ended up being lead you would have a construction violation, and that would automatically result in a tier 3- regardless if you knew it was lead or not. Most judges (at least in my state) are not very lenient in this event and would defiantly count this against you. I recommend never going into competition with a possible violation, even if you might get more points or something for the weight.
A Person

Post by A Person »

queenelf wrote:
simoncao wrote:I was just thinking... What if you have a weight/mass, like one of those that science teachers put on their scales to demonstrate how to measure mass, and it is filled with small metal beads. I do not know if the beads are made out of lead or not. Will the judges give you the benefit of the doubt because there is no way to be sure if its lead or not? or will they automatically mark you for that?
I personally wouldn't take the risk. If the metal substance ended up being lead you would have a construction violation, and that would automatically result in a tier 3- regardless if you knew it was lead or not. Most judges (at least in my state) are not very lenient in this event and would defiantly count this against you. I recommend never going into competition with a possible violation, even if you might get more points or something for the weight.
How would a event supervisor check to see the contents of a container to see if it was lead? Open it and check its density? I'm not advertising the use of lead as a weight or anything, but I just want to know, only because of my curiosity.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
penclspinner

Post by penclspinner »

A Person wrote:
queenelf wrote:
How would a event supervisor check to see the contents of a container to see if it was lead? Open it and check its density? I'm not advertising the use of lead as a weight or anything, but I just want to know, only because of my curiosity.
If I were an Event Supervisor and I were taking extra precautions after reading in the rules that Lead was not allowed (listed under hazardous materials), I would be compelled to lay the burden of proof on the team.
If the team is unable to definitely proof to me, or at least somehow convince me, that this heavy container is not made of lead, I would not let them run their device.
DatScienceKid
Division: C
State: WI

Post by DatScienceKid »

queenelf wrote:
Jkwashbourne wrote:The rules say that hazardous liquids are not permitted. Seems a stretch to classify water as hazardous in such a small quantity.
I would agree- but keep in mind most competitive teams use electrical circuits. Water and electricity could seriously mess up your box if something spilled or went wrong....so maybe that's what they mean.
Yeah, like, my team is using almost maximum battery usage, and there are certain kinds of batteries we aren't even ALLOWED to use. The rule on water, though, that's crazy. It's just water! Well, you know, hopefully everyone medals! (yes, I know it's impossible, but aren't we mission POSSIBLE? :lol: )
Third year!

Disease Detectives, Bio Process Lab, Experimental Design

(Former) Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Solar Systems, Heredity
A Person

Post by A Person »

DatScienceKid wrote: Yeah, like, my team is using almost maximum battery usage, and there are certain kinds of batteries we aren't even ALLOWED to use. The rule on water, though, that's crazy. It's just water! Well, you know, hopefully everyone medals! (yes, I know it's impossible, but aren't we mission POSSIBLE? :lol: )
I'm not sure what you mean by that, but be careful about them. Remember 10 volts for one circuit is max.

Return to “Mission Possible B”