Mission Possible B

queenelf
Division: B
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mission Possible B

Post by queenelf »

For all the people that went to the Wright State invitational- did anyone see the winning box? My team got 5th in the event, but it would be amazing to know what the winning team's box looked like.
Splicerblade
State: NJ

Move and Pour Granular Matreial

Post by Splicerblade »

Hey guys

I'm in div. B in NJ and we are doing 'mission possible'.

What does it mean "move and pour granular material from one container to another container that is higher in the device. the entire initial container must be below the receiver container at task start but maybe above at the receiving container in task completion." How do we accomplish this? Please give me some idea...
cparks
State: IL

Re: Move and Pour Granular Matreial

Post by cparks »

I'll do my best to clarify:

Imagine you have a "receiving container" that is 5 cm tall, and an "initial container" that is 5 cm tall.

The initial container is filled with some sort of granular material (my team is using steel BB's).

The initial container's original position in the box is at the very bottom.

The receiving container's original position in the box is roughly 7 cm from the bottom of the container to the bottom of the box and suspended from fishing line. It is also roughly 7 cm away from the initial container.

The initial container is raised above and over the receiving container and the granular material is poured into it, causing the receiving container to fall and triggering the next action.
Splicerblade

Post by Splicerblade »

Thanks
But, I understand the rule now but, how am I supposed to pour the material. I can lift the material with a pulley system, but how can I tip it over?
olympiaddict
Division: C

Post by olympiaddict »

have another string on the bottom of the box that is pulled but by a wider pulley and therefore faster.

Or last year, we built a grain elevator, like this but much simpler, just a rubber band on two hubs with a cup attached
http://www.inficad.com/~gstewart/largeg ... iagram.jpg
it scooped out of one container and then dumped into another

you could also make a hole in the bottom of the lower container, have the string to which it is attached be anchored above the second container, and have it start spilling the second it begins to raise, just have it be over a funnel or bowl to make collecting the spillage easy, and also make sure you have excess granules so you can afford to spill half the payload and still trigger the next task.

My last suggestion would be to have the string pull the bottom container onto a flat area where it tips sideways, and have the bb's run down a track into the final container.
Splicerblade

Post by Splicerblade »

thanks. I won't have to skip that event.

Do you guys think that we should try to squeeze in every task or do a few but make sure they work.

Because so far my team stopped using anything with the gears and the thing where we have to turn the screw.

Finally do you guys have any idea for the final task.

We had an idea to lift the 9V battery first, hit a switch for a motor, and then the motor would slowly raise the 10 dominoes.

Is that legal, and if you have any other ideas please reply.
knittingfrenzy18
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MD

Post by knittingfrenzy18 »

It is definitely best to get the most reliability you can, regardless of number of tasks. Once you get the reliability so it works every time, then add in another module or so, and keep going.
Pilgrimage Homeschool Division B, Maryland
Visited 2012 and 2014 National Tournaments, 5th place Sounds of Music 2014
http://knittingfrenzy18.wordpress.com
kittybug65
State: KS

Re: Mission Possible B

Post by kittybug65 »

Soooo..... I need Ideas for the final task. None of our Ideas have worked with the supplies we have. Our motors and springs aren't strong enough, any ideas??????
"Knowledge is power" Francis Bacon

2012:Awesome Aquifers(1st), Forestry(2nd), Disease Detectives(8th), Mission Possible (8th)
2013: Forestry(1st), Mission Possible(2nd), Heredity(1st), Exp. Design(1st),Shock Value (3th)
SALIA

Post by SALIA »

How do I lift the container containing the granular material at higher elevation? what is the best approach? Please advice.
orangemen200
State: PA

Imaginary box?

Post by orangemen200 »

So my team is looking to build a box that has screws/nails that extend through the box. Does anyone know if the measurements include anything that sticks out the back of the box or is it just the interior? It's our first time in the competition and the team is getting worried that the extra half inch of so will mess up what they want to do. Thanks.

Return to “Mission Possible B”