Mission Possible B

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Mission Possible B

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
bri2433
Division: B
State: MS
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mission Possible B

Post by bri2433 »

So excited for my second year on Mission Possible! Power's been out all week due to hurricane, helping my my mom with the generator while my dad's at work has defiantly got me in the engineering mood :lol: :lol:
♥BAZINGA!♥
*This user is prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse
Coldcooldude
State: CA

Post by Coldcooldude »

YES! MISSION POSSIBLE FTW... Except that it is kind of costly, but its really fun! LOOKING FORWARD TO IT!!! :idea:
We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.
- Walt Disney
crazyhorse

Post by crazyhorse »

So it seems last year was a plan for a brute device, one to move 10kg, now that is cut in half and no LEAD allowed. It is interesting they left so many tasks the same or slightly changed. I thought they would have changed all the rules.
clairebear7

Post by clairebear7 »

EXCLUDING points awarded/penalized in run time, but INCLUDING points regarding TSL format, set-up time, etc, what is the MAX SCORE you guys calculated? I got 1150

Also, what do you guys lag on using to cast your 5 kg weights? And when the rules (section 7.d) talk about single self measurement EXCEPT for on the final task, does that mean NO self measurement on the final task, or more than one is allowed? Thank You <3
Last edited by clairebear7 on September 27th, 2012, 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
People will remember you not for what you did or said, but how you made them feel.

"Math is your friend, not your lover"
crazyhorse

Post by crazyhorse »

The max points dont really matter, just are u getting the most points u can from each task, and using the best ones. Like the egg task, why bother, its the lowest scoring as well as the spring.
Not going to cast anything this year. With lead out of the event, everyone has to look for other options. There are not alot of metals that have the low melting point of lead, besides some very toxic ones, and some very expensive ones, like gold and silver. LOL.
I take the 7.d rule as saying "a permanently installed ruler" meaning u dont measure the final task urself, the event judges do. if the ruler was permanant, it would already be out of the 60x60x60 box, making the device illegal. Im sure this will be cleared up in the next few months. ;)
clairebear7 wrote:EXCLUDING points awarded/penalized in run time, but INCLUDING points regarding TSL format, set-up time, etc, what is the MAX SCORE you guys calculated? I got 1150

Also, what do you guys lag on using to cast your 5 kg weights? And when the rules (section 7.d) talk about single self measurement EXCEPT for on the final task, does that mean NO self measurement on the final task, or more than one is allowed? Thank You <3
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

clairebear7 wrote:EXCLUDING points awarded/penalized in run time, but INCLUDING points regarding TSL format, set-up time, etc, what is the MAX SCORE you guys calculated? I got 1150

First off, please get rid of the pink text. It's really hard to read. While you think it might be cute, it's inconsiderate of others trying to view the forums.

Standard disclaimer about this not being the place for official clarifications, go to soinc.org instead, etc. etc. etc. Regarding 7.d., I think your question highlights a minor error in the rules. The "except 4.m" was intended to apply to the entire statement (i.e. no self-measurement bonus at all for the final task). However, note that the max is 80 points. There are only 7 other tasks that could possibly be measured (c,d,f,g,h,i,l) - meaning the max probably should be 70 points.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
chalker
State: OH

Max score possible in Mission Possible

Post by chalker »

Since the question has been raised about the max score possible, I figured I'd try to show how I calculate my estimate:

Assumptions:
-This is at Nationals
-Cost of materials is generally not an issue (within reason)
-The target time is 120.0 seconds
-Everything operates perfectly / right on target
-TSL submitted on time and everything correct
-Tasks used: a,c,d,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m
-The 5 kg weight for task l is made from Tungsten (19.25 g / cm3), and is 260 cm3 (ml) in volume. It is a bar 60cm x 2cm x 2cm.
-The special task ramp is at the max of 45 degrees and goes almost the entire diagonal length of the box, except for a little bit to account for the cross section of the weight (i.e. ramp is 58 cm wide by 58 cm tall).
-The final task lifts the platform containing the battery and all 10 dominoes the max possible height of 150 cm.

Scoring:
7.c: Time score = 2 * 120 = 240
7.d: Self measurement scores (c,d,f,g,h,i,l) = 7 * 10 = 70
7.e,f,g,h: TSL scores = 25 + 25 + 25 + 25 = 100
7.i: Setup score = 50
7.j: Task scores = 100 + 20 + 20 + 30 + 30 + 30 +40 + 50 + 50 + 20 + 200 = 590
7.k: Special task mass bonus = 5000 g * 1 pt / 50 g = 100
7.l: Special task height bonus = 58 cm * 1 pt / cm = 58
7.m: Final task height bonus = 150 cm * 1 pt / cm = 150
7.n: Final task object bonus = 25 + 2 * 10 = 45

Grand total: 1403 points.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
chalker7
State: HI

Re: Max score possible in Mission Possible

Post by chalker7 »

That's quite the assumption on materials cost there....raw tungsten is crazy expensive (and nearly impossible to find in custom dimensions.) For comparison, a ~90% Tungsten rod 1.375" diameter x 12" length (metric volume: 292 cm3) is $1,122 on McMaster: http://www.mcmaster.com/#8279K46
I'd suggest just going with steel plates....
chalker wrote:Since the question has been raised about the max score possible, I figured I'd try to show how I calculate my estimate:

Assumptions:
-This is at Nationals
-Cost of materials is generally not an issue (within reason)
-The target time is 120.0 seconds
-Everything operates perfectly / right on target
-TSL submitted on time and everything correct
-Tasks used: a,c,d,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m
-The 5 kg weight for task l is made from Tungsten (19.25 g / cm3), and is 260 cm3 (ml) in volume. It is a bar 60cm x 2cm x 2cm.
-The special task ramp is at the max of 45 degrees and goes almost the entire diagonal length of the box, except for a little bit to account for the cross section of the weight (i.e. ramp is 58 cm wide by 58 cm tall).
-The final task lifts the platform containing the battery and all 10 dominoes the max possible height of 150 cm.

Scoring:
7.c: Time score = 2 * 120 = 240
7.d: Self measurement scores (c,d,f,g,h,i,l) = 7 * 10 = 70
7.e,f,g,h: TSL scores = 25 + 25 + 25 + 25 = 100
7.i: Setup score = 50
7.j: Task scores = 100 + 20 + 20 + 30 + 30 + 30 +40 + 50 + 50 + 20 + 200 = 590
7.k: Special task mass bonus = 5000 g * 1 pt / 50 g = 100
7.l: Special task height bonus = 58 cm * 1 pt / cm = 58
7.m: Final task height bonus = 150 cm * 1 pt / cm = 150
7.n: Final task object bonus = 25 + 2 * 10 = 45

Grand total: 1403 points.
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
Kitkatover7
State: FL

Post by Kitkatover7 »

It is my first year doing Mission Possible! I helped my friends do it last year, but now I have to know from those veterans out there. Any tips? :D Yeah I know this is kinda embarrassing :oops: :mrgreen: :geek:

Return to “Mission Possible B”