Mission Possible B

Koons
Division: B
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Move and Pour Granular Matreial

Post by Koons »

My best guess is to use a stable pulley system. But if that doesn't seem to work, you can always resort to a motor.
goodcheer
State: KY

Re: Move and Pour Granular Matreial

Post by goodcheer »

Splicerblade wrote: Finally do you guys have any idea for the final task.
We had an idea to lift the 9V battery first, hit a switch for a motor, and then the motor would slowly raise the 10 dominoes.
Is that legal, and if you have any other ideas please reply.
That doesn't seem to be legal. The battery and dominoes are to be lifted on the same platform at the same time.

Also, for moving and pouring granular material, think of a container that slides up a smooth channel using a counter-weight and pulley. When the first container gets to a spot above the second container, a hole in the side of the first container lines up with a hole in the channel and allows the granular material to empty into the second container.
MaJIk_wIZrD
State: NC

Please help!

Post by MaJIk_wIZrD »

I have joined Mission Possible B around the beginning of Feb. My partner is very stressed with all his work and im here to help. I dont know what to do. I got the box, the first 2 tasks, then i dont know what else to do afterward. Also, I want to make a sissor lift for the final task but idk how. Please help!
goodcheer

Re: Please help!

Post by goodcheer »

Three motors can be used in the device. That would be three more steps fairly easy to do. Motors can turn screw, rack and pinion gear, pull mass up ramp, lift things, etc. You can get motors from old toys, cars, cordless screwdrivers, etc. If you don't have enough time, you may have to limit your device to just a few steps. At least give it a try.
Mlane
State: SC

Post by Mlane »

rechargeable drill batteries work well for a power source.
ScIeNcE oLyMpIaD
Mission Possible B
Metric Mastery
Keep The Heat B - 4th place medal - state
Crime Busters - 1st place medal - state
SALIA
State: NJ

Post by SALIA »

Hello, please let me know where can I buy rack and pinion setup. Please also give me idea how I can I move the an object using the rack/pinion without using the motor. Please also let me know how I can make homemade gear. Can I use craft paper to make gear and will that work?
Jkwashbourne
State: CA

Post by Jkwashbourne »

below is a great link for the homemade gears. we used 1/2 inch plywood and it worked very well. I also saw some gears made from styrofoam but I dont know how they performed. You can buy a coping saw at home depot for less than 10 bucks and use that to make the cuts. A power jig saw is much easier but you need someone with experience to operate.

http://woodgears.ca/gear_cutting/template.html

there are several other threads here discussing gears, including this one, where I got the link above:
http://scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php? ... rs#p220169
MaJIk_wIZrD
State: NC

Post by MaJIk_wIZrD »

Yes i have 3 motors. But how do you suggest i go about with the final task? Should i use a scissor lift or something else?
goodcheer

Post by goodcheer »

MaJIk_wIZrD wrote:Yes i have 3 motors. But how do you suggest i go about with the final task? Should i use a scissor lift or something else?
Scissor lift is possible. Look at a common car jack; most of them operate using a scissor lift. A screw is turned in a horizontal position and the load is lifted vertically. But you can also use just a screw in a vertical position and let the platform rise up the threads as the screw is turned.
goodcheer

Post by goodcheer »

SALIA wrote:Hello, please let me know where can I buy rack and pinion setup. Please also give me idea how I can I move the an object using the rack/pinion without using the motor. Please also let me know how I can make homemade gear. Can I use craft paper to make gear and will that work?
The gear link mentioned earlier also shows how to make a rack and pinion gear system out of wood. If you attach a pulley to the gear part, you can wrap a string around the pulley and use a weight at the other end to turn the gear which then moves the rack.

Return to “Mission Possible B”