Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: B
State: MD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mission Possible B

Post by knittingfrenzy18 »

Well, the more feasible explanation is that most teams didn't have anything of a box, and therefore did not even compete in the event.

However, I think you guys should have been tier 2'd or something, since it is required that you must have a starting task and ending task at the least.
Pilgrimage Homeschool Division B, Maryland
Visited 2012 and 2014 National Tournaments, 5th place Sounds of Music 2014
http://knittingfrenzy18.wordpress.com
chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Mr Sarcastic wrote:So at the Wright State Invitational, we were totally unprepared for this event, because of procrastination. All we had was a skeleton of a box, made out of PVC pipe. At the competition, what we did was we dropped a quarter into the box for the first task. That's all, and the supervisor scored it! Now here comes the best part... we got 24th out of about 55 teams! :lol: I still have no idea how that happened.

Looking at the score sheet, there were about 8 teams tier 3'd, and 19 teams that no showed.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
+mpcoach+

Lead

Post by +mpcoach+ »

OK - no lead objects

But it is a great material for weights

Is it a lead object if the lead is fully encapsulated, i.e, a plexiglass box, massive duct tape surround, such that outwardly, it has no attributes as lead ?
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Re: Lead

Post by Skink »

If you feel strongly about the issue, submit an Official Clarification. I do want to ask you a question, though: does your weight suddenly stop being made of lead when you contain it as suggested? Follow-up: does a rat-trap (also used as a specific example of a 3.d. hazardous substance or object ban) cease being a rat-trap if you contain it? I believe you have your answer there.
+mpcoach+

Re: Lead

Post by +mpcoach+ »

Skink,

I get your chain of thought, and obviously, no - lead is lead.

But if the issue of its prohibition is safety, it loses that issue if the kids no longer have direct contact with it in the operation of the machine

Thanks for your thoughts
queenelf

Post by queenelf »

For all the people that went to the Wright State invitational- did anyone see the winning box? My team got 5th in the event, but it would be amazing to know what the winning team's box looked like.
Splicerblade
State: NJ

Move and Pour Granular Matreial

Post by Splicerblade »

Hey guys

I'm in div. B in NJ and we are doing 'mission possible'.

What does it mean "move and pour granular material from one container to another container that is higher in the device. the entire initial container must be below the receiver container at task start but maybe above at the receiving container in task completion." How do we accomplish this? Please give me some idea...
cparks
State: IL

Re: Move and Pour Granular Matreial

Post by cparks »

I'll do my best to clarify:

Imagine you have a "receiving container" that is 5 cm tall, and an "initial container" that is 5 cm tall.

The initial container is filled with some sort of granular material (my team is using steel BB's).

The initial container's original position in the box is at the very bottom.

The receiving container's original position in the box is roughly 7 cm from the bottom of the container to the bottom of the box and suspended from fishing line. It is also roughly 7 cm away from the initial container.

The initial container is raised above and over the receiving container and the granular material is poured into it, causing the receiving container to fall and triggering the next action.
Splicerblade
State: NJ

Post by Splicerblade »

Thanks
But, I understand the rule now but, how am I supposed to pour the material. I can lift the material with a pulley system, but how can I tip it over?
olympiaddict
Division: C

Post by olympiaddict »

have another string on the bottom of the box that is pulled but by a wider pulley and therefore faster.

Or last year, we built a grain elevator, like this but much simpler, just a rubber band on two hubs with a cup attached
http://www.inficad.com/~gstewart/largeg ... iagram.jpg
it scooped out of one container and then dumped into another

you could also make a hole in the bottom of the lower container, have the string to which it is attached be anchored above the second container, and have it start spilling the second it begins to raise, just have it be over a funnel or bowl to make collecting the spillage easy, and also make sure you have excess granules so you can afford to spill half the payload and still trigger the next task.

My last suggestion would be to have the string pull the bottom container onto a flat area where it tips sideways, and have the bb's run down a track into the final container.

Return to “Mission Possible B”