Gears & Levers Questions

duct tape
Division: B
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Gears & Levers Questions

Post by duct tape »

Must the object lifted 15 cm by the class 3 lever remain in the lifted position( or at least 15 cm above the starting position) at the end of the task or may it then fall onto something to activate the next task? :roll:
ramcoach
State: MI
Been thanked: 0

Post by ramcoach »

I would think it would have to either fall or move at the end. The object would have to be involved in the next task (otherwise the lever would be a dead end) and it can't be in contact with the lever at the end of being raised. Once it gets past the 15 cm vertical rise (and yes, I would agree that it doesn't have to be directly above it's starting point) it can go anywhere - perhaps falling out into a tube or dropping on a mousetrap to trigger the next action.
goodcheer
State: KY

Post by goodcheer »

duct tape wrote:Must the object lifted 15 cm by the class 3 lever remain in the lifted position( or at least 15 cm above the starting position) at the end of the task or may it then fall onto something to activate the next task? :roll:
It seems there are two ways (at least) to interpret rule 4i: (1) The object must cause the next action at the height it was raised by the lever (15 cm or more) or (2) The object can cause the next action at a lower height. The wording of the rule about "the final placement of the object" to me seems to support either view depending on what word is emphasized. "Placement" seems to say where the lever places the object. But "final" seems to say wherever the object ends up.If you think the wording means the place the lever lifts the object to, then make the object start the next action at that height before it falls. For example, it could strike another lever as soon as it leaves the first lever. Or if you think the "final placement" means wherever the object ends up after it leaves the lever, you can make the object start the next action wherever it goes. As far as what happens to the object after it starts the next action, it depends on which view you adopt. If you stick with view 1, you can make the object stay at the maximum height by catching it with something. Or you could let it fall and reason that the rules don't address what happens to it after it starts the next task. Then, if you adopt view 2, you can let it fall. Sorry, that might not be much help. It seems to be another example of the problems with writing and interpreting the rules. Good luck to everyone.

Return to “Mission Possible B”