Gears & Levers Questions

hogger
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 3rd Class Lever

Post by hogger »

For example, a catapult that hits an object after it gets released from its initial position?

"the third class lever you can't touch it at the begining or end."

Just to make sure you understand, it is not that the lever cannot be touched, instead, the lever cannot touch the object at the start and at the end of the task.
riceman
Division: B
State: CA

Post by riceman »

hogger wrote:For example, a catapult that hits an object after it gets released from its initial position?

"the third class lever you can't touch it at the begining or end."

Just to make sure you understand, it is not that the lever cannot be touched, instead, the lever cannot touch the object at the start and at the end of the task.
The rule highlights the word Lift. By definition from dictionary.com

lift : to move or bring (something) upward from the ground or other support to a higher position; hoist.

By that definition it would seem lever used to launch an object upward to a higher position would be the same as lifting. Not sure how that would be interpreted and may need to be submitted for clarification.
hogger

Post by hogger »

Yes you are right, the lever must lift the object upward. Not sure what is needed to be clarified, it clearly states that the object must be lifted 15cm above where it starts. So the lever can't touch the object before and after, it must be lifted 15cm above where it starts, and then lastly, the final placement must cause the next action. The last one, I presume, the final placement is not necessary above where it starts, the object just has to at one point in the process be 15 cm above where it starts.
riceman
State: CA

Post by riceman »

That does make sense now. I was having trouble with launch having the same meaning as lift. But the way the task is worded it doesn't matter how long the lever is in contact with the object being lifted. So it can be for only an instant to impact the object in order to lift it the required vertical distance.
+mpcoach+
State: OH

Re: 3 Gears

Post by +mpcoach+ »

What about designing gears and a using 3-D printer to create? designing them would make them homemade.
chalker7
Division: Grad
State: HI

Re: 3 Gears

Post by chalker7 »

+mpcoach+ wrote:What about designing gears and a using 3-D printer to create? designing them would make them homemade.
Submit the question as an official clarification. This isn't an answer to your question, but I would point out that "designing" and "making" are two different processes.
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
orangemen200
State: PA

gear makeup

Post by orangemen200 »

can the gears be made of a buidding material such as kinex or legos?

i know that these are commercial brand products, but they don't make the gears themselves

any other gear suggestions would also be helpfull
tgaspar
State: NC

Lever Examples

Post by tgaspar »

Would a toilet lever be a type 3 lever? Any other examples of levers that could be incorporated would be greatly appreciated. I am coaching for the first time and engineering/physics is not my strong suit. Thanks! :D
chalker7
State: HI

Re: Lever Examples

Post by chalker7 »

tgaspar wrote:Would a toilet lever be a type 3 lever? Any other examples of levers that could be incorporated would be greatly appreciated. I am coaching for the first time and engineering/physics is not my strong suit. Thanks! :D
The wikipedia article on levers gives you a good summary of the different classes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lever
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
A Person
State: KY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Lever Examples

Post by A Person »

_______
^ ^

Green is input, red is fulcrum, and output is the end of the lever. I think that a toilet lever is first, though.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

Return to “Mission Possible B”