Jkwashbourne
Division: B
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Timing

Post by Jkwashbourne »

Here is the relevant rule:

"electrical components are limited to batteries, wires, mechanical switches, and/or up to 3 motors. No computers, integrated circuits, or any other unlisted electrical components are permitted in the device"

We think a homemade resistor is nothing but a long wire. I guess it could be interpreted differently.

After our first event yesterday, we realize how much leeway the judges have. In part that is because the wording of the rules is sometimes ambiguous. It was clear at our event (Bay Area regional) that the intent was not to winnow the competition. Having never been to another event, I wonder how much variability is introduced by the differences in the volunteer judges.

I should be clear that I have a lot of respect for the volunteers who spend that whole day judging.
hogger

Post by hogger »

Jkwashbourne wrote:Here is the relevant rule:

"electrical components are limited to batteries, wires, mechanical switches, and/or up to 3 motors. No computers, integrated circuits, or any other unlisted electrical components are permitted in the device"

We think a homemade resistor is nothing but a long wire. I guess it could be interpreted differently.

After our first event yesterday, we realize how much leeway the judges have. In part that is because the wording of the rules is sometimes ambiguous. It was clear at our event (Bay Area regional) that the intent was not to winnow the competition. Having never been to another event, I wonder how much variability is introduced by the differences in the volunteer judges.

I should be clear that I have a lot of respect for the volunteers who spend that whole day judging.
Personally, I would allow it. But there is definitely a chance that some judges will not allow this and basically put your device in tier 1. If homemade wire wound resistor is allowed, is commercial wire wound resistor is also allowed then? So for me, I would not risk going that way just to get variable voltage on the last task. You can manually change voltage using less or more number of batteries in series. Not as fine grain as resistor, I would admit.
Jkwashbourne
Division: B
State: CA

Post by Jkwashbourne »

it would be cool to have a forum where the volunteer judges could contribute their thoughts on some of these issues. especially when fresh off the events. with a disclaimer about "not official etc etc etc".
The Big Theory
Division: C
State: OH

Post by The Big Theory »

I don't really need this forum anymore but i'm keeping this as reference for future Scioly users. :geek:
Bill, Bill, Bill, Bill Nye the science guy!
--------------------------------------------------
sora8698 has been slain by Herobrine
Herobrine has been pleased...
Ready for round 2?

Return to “Mission Possible B”