Gear wording typo?

ShadowMasterZr
Division: B
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Gear wording typo?

Post by ShadowMasterZr »

goodcheer wrote:I agree the wording for the gear task is at least a little vague in two areas. I submitted a FAQ last fall about "non-electrical" gears. In my view, all gears are mechanical in nature, so to say "non-electrical" is confusing. I assume what is meant is the gear system cannot be electrically powered. That seems to be the safest way to proceed without a clarification. Also the axle question is similar. The task in general seems to be about making a simple homemade gear system without specifics about the axles. If it was the intent that the axles rotate with the gears, the rules should have clearly stated so. In my opinion, a simple gear can be made just as easily with a stationary axle as with a moving one, so I don't see why either one would not qualify. Also, with a rotating axle, the gear has to rotate just the same as one with a stationary axle. As it stands, the rule speaks of the "final gear" turning 360 deg and the "final axle" causing the next action. Whether it is the "final gear" or the "final axle" that causes the next action seems moot. The final gear has to turn either way and it is the turning of the gear that causes the work to be done. But opinions and rules often differ. Good luck.
We've always assumed that the final axle must turn 360 degrees.
Langley HS, VA (Lonfellow alumni

2014 Events: Mission Possible, Anatomy

Return to “Mission Possible B”