Final Task

clairebear7
Division: B
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Self Measurement

Post by clairebear7 »

In section 7.d the rules say "10 its for self-measurement along a permanently installed ruler awarded only once per task (except 4.m.) requiring movement of a certain distance of requiring an IMA (max 80 pts)"

Excluding the final task, only 70 points are possible for self measurement, so does this mean that you can achieve MORE than 10 points for final task, or NONE on the final task? Like if a team had 60 self measurement points and two self measurements on the final task, could they reach max points?
People will remember you not for what you did or said, but how you made them feel.

"Math is your friend, not your lover"
Swagner
State: MD

Final Task

Post by Swagner »

Does anyone have any advice on constructing the FINAL TASK for the Mission (im)Possible?
A Person
Division: Grad
State: KY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Final Task

Post by A Person »

You could post this in the http://www.scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=3719, but there are many ways to construct it, depending on your demands.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
hogger

Post by hogger »

I don't have any specific suggestions but try googling something like "scissor lift", "raising platform" or "telescopic crane". Those should give you some ideas.
ramcoach
State: MI

Re: Self Measurement

Post by ramcoach »

I wondered the same thing. My impression was that there was no self-measurement possible on the final task, because a permanently installed ruler would extend beyond the dimensions of the box. So that leaves 4c, 4d, 4f, 4g, 4h, 4i, and 4l (if you do it.) I was curious how they arrived at the 80 point maximum.
hogger

Re: Self Measurement

Post by hogger »

In theory, you could have a flexible tape measurement that rises with the platform as it moves up.
hambone2003
State: DE

Final Task

Post by hambone2003 »

I am having trouble finding dominoes that are small enough to meet the maximum size requirement listed in the rules. Can anyone suggest a brand on link to purchase smaller dominoes? Thx
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

hambone2003 wrote:I am having trouble finding dominoes that are small enough to meet the maximum size requirement listed in the rules. Can anyone suggest a brand on link to purchase smaller dominoes? Thx
The size in the rules was based upon what we thought were 'standard' size dominos (see this page for example specs: http://www.domino-games.com/faq/Domino-Sizes.html). Is anyone else not able to find 'standard size' dominos?

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Jkwashbourne
State: CA

Post by Jkwashbourne »

Hi Chalker, an off topic question. We are doing this for the first time this year, and the comments in other threads are making us nervous about being disqualified. Any chance we could take a few pictures and get someone with experience to tell us if we made any obvious goofs? Thanks in advance, John.
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Jkwashbourne wrote:Hi Chalker, an off topic question. We are doing this for the first time this year, and the comments in other threads are making us nervous about being disqualified. Any chance we could take a few pictures and get someone with experience to tell us if we made any obvious goofs? Thanks in advance, John.
You won't get anyone official to make such statements - we explicitly stay away from 'pre-judging' devices. That said, you might get some of the other more experienced competitors to offer up their opinions.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Return to “Mission Possible B”