Final Task

Splicerblade
Division: B
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Final Task

Post by Splicerblade »

You have to lift the 9V and the 10 dominoes to get the 200 pts. I think you get extra for keeping the dominoes standing.
riceman
State: CA

Post by riceman »

chalker wrote:
hambone2003 wrote:I am having trouble finding dominoes that are small enough to meet the maximum size requirement listed in the rules. Can anyone suggest a brand on link to purchase smaller dominoes? Thx
The size in the rules was based upon what we thought were 'standard' size dominos (see this page for example specs: http://www.domino-games.com/faq/Domino-Sizes.html). Is anyone else not able to find 'standard size' dominos?
From the link you posted:
Dominoes are available in various sizes, including the following:

Mini Dominoes - About 1-3/16" long by 9/16" wide by 3/16" thick

Standard Dominoes - About 1-7/8" long by 15/16" wide by 1/4" thick

Professional Dominoes - About 2" long by 1" wide by 3/8" thick

Jumbo Dominoes - About 2" long by 1" wide by 1/2" thick

Tournament Dominoes - 2-3/16" long by 1-3/32" wide by 1/2" thick
The 'standard sized' are too long. That leaves only the mini size as legal. Please correct me if I am wrong.
chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by chalker »

riceman wrote:
chalker wrote:
The 'standard sized' are too long. That leaves only the mini size as legal. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The rules call for 4.5 cm x 2.5 cm x 0.8 cm. about 1 7/8" x 2.54 cm / inch = 4.76 cm (i.e. technically 2.6 mm too big), but the key is the 'about' part. If you are really concerned about it, sand down both ends about a mm. If this is a major issue, feel free to submit a clarification on soinc.org and we might bump up the dimension a little bit. We intended for 'standard' dominoes to be utilized.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Platinum

Post by Platinum »

Thank you for your answer. Do we still get 200 pts if the 9V battery and the dominoes fall off the platform at the end?
A Person
Division: Grad
State: KY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by A Person »

Platinum wrote:Thank you for your answer. Do we still get 200 pts if the 9V battery and the dominoes fall off the platform at the end?
I don't think so.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
riceman

Post by riceman »

chalker wrote:
riceman wrote:
chalker wrote:

The rules call for 4.5 cm x 2.5 cm x 0.8 cm. about 1 7/8" x 2.54 cm / inch = 4.76 cm (i.e. technically 2.6 mm too big), but the key is the 'about' part. If you are really concerned about it, sand down both ends about a mm. If this is a major issue, feel free to submit a clarification on soinc.org and we might bump up the dimension a little bit. We intended for 'standard' dominoes to be utilized.
Yes that was my main concern. The rule specifically states "less than 4.5 cm". My interpretation is that 4.76 would be illegal. I indeed submitted a clarification question asking if commercial dominoes could be altered in order to comply with the size limits. Thanks for your reply.
hogger

Post by hogger »

Here's my take. According to the rule, the dominoes pieces are optional, so if you can get the 9V battery to stay on the platform, then I think you should be able to get 200 points even if some of the dominoes drop off the platform. Not sure if that is the right interpretation, maybe we need to ask for clarification.
Last edited by hogger on January 28th, 2013, 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Platinum

Post by Platinum »

Thanks all
ramcoach
State: MI

Post by ramcoach »

It does say in 4.m "All 4 of the following conditions must be met..." and in condition 3 it states "All items used must stay in contact with the top of the platform but after the start the item(s) may touch each other or fall over (not off the platform). "

That seems to suggest that if you include dominoes and they fall off, you haven't satisfied the 4 conditions and thus you haven't completed the final task.

To be on the safe side, I'd make sure that if you plan on including dominoes, they stay on the platform the entire time. And you might need to ask yourself if it's worth the extra points (2 per standing domino) to take a risk that they'll fall off and lose you 200 points.
hogger

Post by hogger »

Thanks ramcoach. I think the wording in 4.m makes it very clear. All the pieces you start with must survive until platform stops at the top. You are required to at least have the 9V battery to start with, and if you are not sure you could keep everything to stay until the end, you are better off leaving them out.

Return to “Mission Possible B”