Final Task

death_owl
Division: B
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Final Task

Post by death_owl »

Swagner wrote:Does anyone have any advice on constructing the FINAL TASK for the Mission (im)Possible?
hmm basically...just get a motor (duh) and then..well we just got a motor (not telling which kind >:]) and then attached a base big enough for the 10 dominoes!! :D
Beckendorff Science Olympiad
Tennis, Basketball, Swimming, Track <3
CELLO ORK-DORK :D
2nd Year
Going to State/Nats.
I like food :]
gnuelsirhc
State: NY

Final task

Post by gnuelsirhc »

Is there a limit to the amount of dominoes you are allowed to use for bonus points?
A Person
Division: Grad
State: KY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Final task

Post by A Person »

1. Please post any more questions in the Mission Possible B forum (http://www.scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=3719)
2: I think the max is 10 dominoes.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
simoncao
Division: C
State: CA

Post by simoncao »

The rules say that there cannot be any raised edges to the platform at any time. I have a wall about half an inch away from the platform... does that count as a raised edge?
Oddrenaline
State: MI

Post by Oddrenaline »

No, as long as the wall does not touch the platform, that should be good.
hogger

Post by hogger »

Oddrenaline wrote:No, as long as the wall does not touch the platform, that should be good.
An inch away? So if a domino or a battery is impeded from falling off the platform by the wall, is that ground for violation?
Oddrenaline
State: MI

Post by Oddrenaline »

If the domino falls over but is stopped from falling off of the platform by the wall, you would not get points for the domino, but I don't see why this would be ground for violation. However, if one domino falls but is stopped by the wall, it is more likely to hit the other dominoes. It would be best that you remove the wall unless it is necessary for another step.
hogger

Post by hogger »

Oddrenaline wrote:If the domino falls over but is stopped from falling off of the platform by the wall, you would not get points for the domino, but I don't see why this would be ground for violation. However, if one domino falls but is stopped by the wall, it is more likely to hit the other dominoes. It would be best that you remove the wall unless it is necessary for another step.
So you are saying a wall next to the platform is ok and it does not violate the raised edge rule? I think that definitely violates the rule, and ground for violation. I think most judges that run the event would call that a violation because the whole point of the rule is that the dominoes are not impede in any way from falling off the platform. Otherwise I would build a wall all around the the platform but a small distance away so it is not part of the platform to prevent anything from falling off the platform.
gnuelsirhc

Post by gnuelsirhc »

You may get a lot of points on the final task
Flavorflav
Division: Grad

Post by Flavorflav »

ramcoach wrote:By the way - at the invitational we were at last weekend, the Mission judges told each team before they competed that if any domino fell off the platform they'd lose the points for the final task, since they didn't meet all 4 conditions.
Chalker, could you give an advisory opinion on this? I will be running this event at a regional in a couple of weeks and I would like to advise teams in advance of the rule I will be following. Personally, I would say that if the battery falls off then the task has not been completed, but since it describes the dominoes as optional then any that fall off would simply not be counted for points. I know, not the place for official clarifications, etc., but we have a two-week lead time policy for posted clarifications in NY and that means I would need an official answer by tomorrow for it to be binding, so I am just asking for advice and I will submit the ruling on my own authority. Do you agree with my interpretation, or do you have another thought?

Anyone else is free to weigh in as well, of course - particularly experienced supervisors.

Return to “Mission Possible B”