solid mass special task

whatever10303
Division: B
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

solid mass special task

Post by whatever10303 »

In the Special Task (L) it says to pull a mass up a ramp. "The mass must be a solid mass and be easily removed." Our mass is a block of wood, but it has a plastic arm taped on it to knock a block off of a box to activate the next task. We can remove the block of wood from the device easily for weighing, but do we have to take the arm off the wood block? The wood is not even heavy enough to qualify for extra points (under 50 grams) so we are not trying to get extra points.
hogger

Re: solid mass special task

Post by hogger »

This is not a clarification of the rule, but if I was running the event, that would be ok in my book.
chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by chalker »

whatever10303 wrote:In the Special Task (L) it says to pull a mass up a ramp. "The mass must be a solid mass and be easily removed." Our mass is a block of wood, but it has a plastic arm taped on it to knock a block off of a box to activate the next task. We can remove the block of wood from the device easily for weighing, but do we have to take the arm off the wood block? The wood is not even heavy enough to qualify for extra points (under 50 grams) so we are not trying to get extra points.
Why do you think the plastic arm couldn't be considered part of the mass being lifted?

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
whatever10303
State: PA

Post by whatever10303 »

I was afraid the mass would no longer be considered solid if it had several pieces taped together.
goodcheer
State: KY

Post by goodcheer »

whatever10303 wrote:I was afraid the mass would no longer be considered solid if it had several pieces taped together.
No problem. A mass is a body of material with no definite shape. The phrasing in the rules "solid mass" seems a little confusing.

Return to “Mission Possible B”