Mentor's role during event

orangemen200
Division: B
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Mentor's role during event

Post by orangemen200 »

This is my first time acting as mentor. I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to do at the event? Am I participating in the impound? Do I get to watch the team describe and work the machine when actually being scored? Do I double check to make sure it's all set up correctly?

Anyone have past experience that can provide help?
Schrodingerscat
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: KS
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Mentor's role during event

Post by Schrodingerscat »

orangemen200 wrote:This is my first time acting as mentor. I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to do at the event? Am I participating in the impound? Do I get to watch the team describe and work the machine when actually being scored? Do I double check to make sure it's all set up correctly?

Anyone have past experience that can provide help?

Sorry, I am not sure exactly what you mean. Are you being a mentor for a particular team, or is this something else?

If the former:
You would have a very minimal role during the competition itself. The general rules this year require students to impound the event, so the most you would be allowed to do is carry items to the impound location for the students. During the competition itself you would only be allowed to act as a spectator, as outside coaching is always prohibited during events. Thus even if they were making a major mistake such as forgetting to set up one of the tasks correctly, you would not be allowed to stop them. Therefore, your only main role could be in preparing them prior to the competition.
A Person
State: KY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by A Person »

Like Schrodingerscat said, I would suggest that you help as much as you can before they impound, checking the box to see of all materials are in it and helping carry the box. Your students may have to be present at the time when you impound. You MAY NOT help/talk to your students after they have walked into the area having checked in; you can not check the box, or explain to them how to set up a part they forgot how to. You nor your students may touch or check the box after it has been impounded, also, so make sure to do everything you need to.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
hogger

Post by hogger »

You should read the Code of Ethics and General Rules of Science Olympiad. The most relevant section to this question would be:

4. Once students have entered the event area to compete, they must not communicate with any outside resources, by any means, unless permitted by event rules and they must not leave until they are finished or have permission from the event supervisor.

http://soinc.org/ethics_rules
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Post by Skink »

This is a question to ask either your team's coach or, if you are that person, the tournament director or event supervisor under which you will be working. You can bring us more specific questions, and we can try to help. If you are just a tournament volunteer, the supervisor should brief you on what your role is either prior to the tournament via e-mail or telephone call or in person the morning of the competition.

My guess is you will assist teams getting their devices to impound, checking off checklists, and/or taking measurements or times.
silverheart7
State: NY

Post by silverheart7 »

Also, assist in the actual completion and construction of the box! This is very important: if they don't have a working box, they can't set it up or impound it!
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer

Return to “Mission Possible B”