Domino sizing

Jkwashbourne
Division: B
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Domino sizing

Post by Jkwashbourne »

I wanted to call attention to this update to the domino size rule. We ground our dominoes for regional to meet the size requirements, and I am glad I caught this before the state competition.

http://www.soinc.org/node/479
Jkwashbourne

Re: Domino sizing

Post by Jkwashbourne »

Also, now we really have to go look for dominoes as close to 1 cm thick as we can find !
hogger

Post by hogger »

We didn't even think twice about not using dominoes on our last task. Why risk losing 200 points just to get 2 extra points to get each of the dominoes to stay on the platform all the way to the end of the task.
Jkwashbourne

Post by Jkwashbourne »

If the design of your final task is stable, why not go for it? 20 points is 20 points. We lifted 10 up safely at regional and will most likely go for 10 at state.

Has there been any official clarification on what happens if one falls off? We think the official at regional counted what was left on top at the end, and did not disqualify the entire task if one or more fell off.
Jkwashbourne

Post by Jkwashbourne »

just re-read again, after studying it intensely before regional. seems like falling off is the only problem, so if you make the platform bigger and put the dominoes one domino width from the edge, and of course have a reasonably stable lift, it should be fine.

plus, just because you can!
hogger

Post by hogger »

If you have a good design and a stable platform lift then yes go for it. For us it was difficult to have a stable lift and very high height, and it was a trade off between height against stability in our design.
Jkwashbourne

Post by Jkwashbourne »

I agree on stability. We get around 85 cm stable, much past that things get wobbly. If you are going for the whole distance it must be even worse. We used a telescope, but I think a carefully designed scissor would be the way to go.
Oddrenaline
State: MI

Post by Oddrenaline »

Yeah, we got the maximum height with a scisoor lift.

Return to “Mission Possible B”