Jdogg
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Pennsylvania 2013

Post by Jdogg »

bam wrote:
Cjkowalcz wrote:Is there any particular reason that disease detectives and Experimental Design are highlighted green on the placings list?
I think that has happened in the past too, and I don't remember any specific reason for it.
Maybe appeals? Though this is due to the fact that you didn't have 5th place listed in your signature, maybe signifying that you hadn't received a medal.
Harriton Class of 2013
Vice-Deputy of Avionics and Control for Lunar Lion
Assistant Coach of State College High School
bam
Division: C

Post by bam »

Jdogg wrote:
bam wrote:
Cjkowalcz wrote:Is there any particular reason that disease detectives and Experimental Design are highlighted green on the placings list?
I think that has happened in the past too, and I don't remember any specific reason for it.
Maybe appeals? Though this is due to the fact that you didn't have 5th place listed in your signature, maybe signifying that you hadn't received a medal.
Nope, that's because I didn't compete in Experimental at states. Although that could be true anyway, I heard that there were a surprising amount of appeals this year.
Strath Haven High School Science Olympiad Captain 2015 - 2016

Total SO medal count 2009 - 2016: 34
Cjkowalcz
Division: B

Post by Cjkowalcz »

Me too! Wasn't it because of that new computer point system?
2014 Rustin Invitational:
Entomology: 5th
Experimental Design: 1st
2014 Regionals:
Entomology: 3rd
Meteorology: 2nd
Experimental Design: 1st
2014 States:
???
Medal Count: 14 (Hoping for 15 after my last B-division States ;))
bam

Post by bam »

Cjkowalcz wrote:Me too! Wasn't it because of that new computer point system?
I didn't hear about that, what was that about?
Strath Haven High School Science Olympiad Captain 2015 - 2016

Total SO medal count 2009 - 2016: 34
Taost

Post by Taost »

bam wrote:
Cjkowalcz wrote:Me too! Wasn't it because of that new computer point system?
I didn't hear about that, what was that about?
I think it was just a new way of managing the scoring of events that they implemented in the PA states competition.
caseyotis
State: NY

Post by caseyotis »

Does anyone here know where I can find results for the Solon Invitational (Div. B)? If I'm not crazy and that does exist.
Taost wrote:As a Conestoga Olympian, these scores make me very sad. We were really trying to make Nationals this year :c
Gosh, that must suck. I think there should be a wild card of sorts. .-.
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Jdogg

Post by Jdogg »

caseyotis wrote:Does anyone here know where I can find results for the Solon Invitational (Div. B)? If I'm not crazy and that does exist.
Taost wrote:As a Conestoga Olympian, these scores make me very sad. We were really trying to make Nationals this year :c
Gosh, that must suck. I think there should be a wild card of sorts. .-.
Look at PC last year though, must have been tough for them.
Also look at the NY tab, they constantly talk about how they should get more teams to represent all of their registered teams. Though they don't have the most amount of schools (most schools register 4/5 teams). But then again they have the team allocation set up so that it is more like the olympics. Ensuring representation for state, but then since they have a few more spots they allocate a few states a 2nd place bids. Its understood that nationals might not as competitive as it could be if we had the top 60 teams from across the nation. Then you wouldn't have representation from a few states that constantly place in the 40's-50's. But then again we also don't have the state winner in each event head to nations which would also lead to more competition at nationals. But science olympiad is a team sport, you win and lose as a team. So all in all I believe that the system they have set up is ideal. Although it doesn't have teams like Conestoga and Baryard Rustin who would most likely both place in the top 20 at nats, they still compete though the spirit of those that represent them at the national tournament. When PA does well at nationals, it shows the level of competition that exists in PA and how hard all the teams in PA work for success. One of the reasons OH has had such a powerhouse the last 4 years, it isn't just because of Solon and Centerville. It's because of all the competitors that push Solon and Centerville to be that much better. That's just my opinion though.
Harriton Class of 2013
isaysroar

Post by isaysroar »

After looking at two of my events that I thought I completely nailed it...They were both 6th place:( Just like last year...
Disease Detectives- 4th
Helicopters- 1st
Road Scholar- 5th
Write it Do it- 2nd
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

Jdogg wrote: Also look at the NY tab, they constantly talk about how they should get more teams to represent all of their registered teams. Though they don't have the most amount of schools (most schools register 4/5 teams). But then again they have the team allocation set up so that it is more like the olympics. Ensuring representation for state, but then since they have a few more spots they allocate a few states a 2nd place bids.
I don't want to comment on this too much, but really Jdogg. Do know that in NYS most teams have 1 or 2 teams (I can get you our website, you'd see)? The only regions where you'd maybe see that many for one school is Eastern Long Island and somewhat in Western Long Island and NYC (and at that Western Long Island is splitting up).

Also, are you saying that nats is like the olympics? Don't larger countries get multiple teams or more people or something in the olympics (this is a side note, I am not fully sure how they determine it, curious, I think I've seen people say that before)? Sorry, that just somewhat irked me since NYS really does have quite a few teams but don't exaggerate what you hear about the whole multiple teams thing (you know as well as anyone how competitive it is in so many states...so I guess I won't comment on what your actually discussing too much, just wanted to point this out).

Edit: I also wanted to add on about Div B. That is the only place where you would find one team with 5 registered (Paul J. Gelinas). There are very very few teams that actually have 4 teams...we've considered it, but usually we end up rounding off at 3. Also, I think it costs money (I admit I could be wrong with that one, either way)? So...in general if you look around on our website I think you'll agree most teams have 1 or 2, some have 3, close to none have 4/5 (whether it be Div B or C...sorry if that was rant-y).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
Jdogg

Post by Jdogg »

syo_astro wrote:
Jdogg wrote: Also look at the NY tab, they constantly talk about how they should get more teams to represent all of their registered teams. Though they don't have the most amount of schools (most schools register 4/5 teams). But then again they have the team allocation set up so that it is more like the olympics. Ensuring representation for state, but then since they have a few more spots they allocate a few states a 2nd place bids.
I don't want to comment on this too much, but really Jdogg. Do know that in NYS most teams have 1 or 2 teams (I can get you our website, you'd see)? The only regions where you'd maybe see that many for one school is Eastern Long Island and somewhat in Western Long Island and NYC (and at that Western Long Island is splitting up).

Also, are you saying that nats is like the olympics? Don't larger countries get multiple teams or more people or something in the olympics (this is a side note, I am not fully sure how they determine it, curious, I think I've seen people say that before)? Sorry, that just somewhat irked me since NYS really does have quite a few teams but don't exaggerate what you hear about the whole multiple teams thing (you know as well as anyone how competitive it is in so many states...so I guess I won't comment on what your actually discussing too much, just wanted to point this out).

Edit: I also wanted to add on about Div B. That is the only place where you would find one team with 5 registered (Paul J. Gelinas). There are very very few teams that actually have 4 teams...we've considered it, but usually we end up rounding off at 3. Also, I think it costs money (I admit I could be wrong with that one, either way)? So...in general if you look around on our website I think you'll agree most teams have 1 or 2, some have 3, close to none have 4/5 (whether it be Div B or C...sorry if that was rant-y).
I'm not saying NY isn't as competitive as PA. It's just that from the regionals that are posted online, the state of NY has 108 alternate teams from 8/11 of the regionals. At the WLI regional (the largest regional in the nation), it only had 40 different schools with 34 alternate teams. Almost as many secondary teams were at that regional as the total number of different schools there.
But the state of California has a significantly larger number of schools than NY does and so do other states as well. I don't have anything against the way NY does regionals, but it inflates the amount of schools a state has.
EdIt: To note NY has 540 or so teams, if you cut that in half for b and c. You can see that the amount of schools (270 - 108 +- a few) is actually very similar to the number of schools in PA. Given that a few teams register double teams for invitational tournaments in PA, accounting for a maximum of 5 alternate teams. I think if PA allowed multiple teams to be registered at regionals you would see close to the number of teams registered in PA as there are in NY.
Harriton Class of 2013

Return to “2013 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”