Pennsylvania 2013

Cjkowalcz
Division: B
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Pennsylvania 2013

Post by Cjkowalcz »

No! My final Science Olympiad practice until next year is Monday. We are having a party!! I probably wont be on the forums much over the summer :cry:. I will hopefully see you Division B. Water Quality, Experimental Design, and Write It Do It people next year! :D
2014 Rustin Invitational:
Entomology: 5th
Experimental Design: 1st
2014 Regionals:
Entomology: 3rd
Meteorology: 2nd
2014 States:
???
Medal Count: 14 (Hoping for 15 after my last B-division States ;))
manutd94
Division: Grad

Post by manutd94 »

The 2013 PA States Remote Sensing Exam has been posted on the test exchange. One thing to note is that the image sheet should be read from bottom to top - sorry about that format. There are image labels there to make it clear. Hope everyone liked the exam at states and best of luck to those competing at nationals! Feedback would be great, if possible. :)
2010 States: 1st Astronomy, 1st Remote Sensing
2010 Nationals: 3rd Astronomy, 5th Remote Sensing
2011 States: 1st Astronomy, 2nd Wind Power, 5th Fossils
2011 Nationals: 1st Astronomy, 6th Wind Power
2012 States: 1st Astronomy, 1st Remote Sensing, 3rd Chemistry Lab

4 life-changing years.
Cjkowalcz

Post by Cjkowalcz »

Who plan's on doing entomology next year (even though it is tentative).
2014 Regionals:
2014 States:
???
havenguy

Post by havenguy »

Cjkowalcz wrote:Who plan's on doing entomology next year (even though it is tentative).
YES. Although it would be for C-Div.
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th
49ers
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by 49ers »

JCicc wrote:Thank you for some very nice comments regarding the PA 2013 Astronomy exam. Watch for it on the test exchange, it will be up soon (several of my old exams are also up there). I thought maybe this was a good time to talk a little about my philosophy when it comes to supervising events; astronomy in particular, as I have supervised this event about 15 times (between the PA Southeast region and the state tournament).

When I write an exam for a Science Olympiad event, I am not interested on bolstering anyone's self-esteem. I don't need to have the scores match some preconceived idea of the "proper" distribution. What I do need is to be able to differentiate 35 or 36 teams beyond any doubt. So my exams are typically too long, too hard, and virtually impossible to score 100% on in a 50 minute time period. Any veterans of my exams can tell you that the scores don't tell me anything in and of themselves other than which team is the best, which team is 2nd best, and so on down the line. I submit that these exams do just that.

Let's be totally frank. Some teams, even at the state level, come into the room with no resources at all. Those teams do not have a prayer. In my estimation, the team that wins should be the team that prepares the best, does the most in-depth research, goes deeply into the content (for example, into subclasses of Type II supernovae and their progenitor stars), and gets contributions from both members of the team. The teams that receive medals will fit these categories.

At any rate, I would like to hear feedback from anyone who took the actual test at states this year (or any other year, for that matter), or anyone who gets a look at it on the test exchange. It has been suggested that perhaps I should put some more questions on the test that are "easy," specifically because sometimes there are scores in the single digits (out of 100 for most exams). I don't like to see scores like that, but to me that just means a team did not prepare for the event at all. Even if you restrict yourself to the object list and spend a day looking up material on each one, you should be able to do well on the first third of the test by putting in a solid two weeks of research time.

I know that my exams are hard. I put a lot of time and effort into making each one, and administering the state astronomy exam is something I look forward to each year. I'll be doing it into the foreseeable future, as far as I can tell at this point. One more thing - typically, the PA representatives at nationals tend to do well in astronomy. One year (I think it was 2005), the PA teams came in 1st and 2nd at nationals, and I will never forget Dr. Putz saying "they must be doing something right in Pennsylvania, because the gold medal is ALSO from the state of Pennsylvania."

I was grateful to that it was so difficult because it meant that all my preparation was actually worth it. An 8th place at States isn't too bad... I look forward to the test at states next year, andhope to improve upon my score from this year. competitors really earned scores in the single digits?

And for all of my hard work in WQ and Forensics, I got 20th and 17thish.... Plus, Remote Sensing was 6th.
East Stroudsburg South and J.T.L Cavs Alumnus
49ersfan
Metsfan
You are now free to lose the game.
ESU Warrior '21
Need a rugger? Look no further.
Disk is lif.
Physics; Earth and Space Science major; Math minor.
Get me out of this place *gestures wildly at USA*
caseyotis
Division: C
State: NY

Post by caseyotis »

havenguy wrote:
Cjkowalcz wrote:Who plan's on doing entomology next year (even though it is tentative).
YES. Although it would be for C-Div.
^ Exact same. I love the ID events.
49ers wrote: And for all of my hard work in WQ and Forensics, I got 20th and 17thish.... Plus, Remote Sensing was 6th.
I feel the same way for WQ. >.< I was confident that I'd medal. The other events, I'm not disappointed, because I absolutely didn't put in enough work.
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Cjkowalcz

Post by Cjkowalcz »

Wait...is Entomology only for C-div.? If so, what's the B-division ID?
2014 Regionals:
2014 States:
???
isaysroar
Division: C

Post by isaysroar »

Cjkowalcz wrote:Wait...is Entomology only for C-div.? If so, what's the B-division ID?
No Entomology is for both B and C.

Also, if you all want to know some predicted events for next year here's the link:
http://marylandscienceolympiad.org/page ... dv5_15.pdf

It may be Maryland but if you look all their predicted events for this year came true, (this was made in 2012) so I'm assuming that the 2014 predictions would also be right:D ENJOY!
Disease Detectives- 4th
Helicopters- 1st
Road Scholar- 5th
Write it Do it- 2nd
hmcginny

Post by hmcginny »

Maryland is accurate because they got their chart from soinc itself :P

http://www.soinc.org/sites/default/file ... -17-13.pdf
Harriton 2013 (Captain 2012-2013)
Penn 2017

2014 PA State Compound Machines Supervisor

Past Events: Fermi, Thermo, WIDI, Maglev, TPS, Chem Lab, Mission, Sounds, Trajectory, Mousetrap, etc.
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Post by Luo »

hmcginny wrote:Maryland is accurate because they got their chart from soinc itself :P

http://www.soinc.org/sites/default/file ... -17-13.pdf
A more recently-revised version is available at http://www.soinc.org/sites/default/file ... -17-13.pdf.
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/

Return to “2013 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”