Pennsylvania 2013

caseyotis
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Pennsylvania 2013

Post by caseyotis »

What does the bolded font on some of the events (and things in parentheses) mean? I'm particularly concerned about Entomology. ;-;
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: MN

Post by Luo »

caseyotis wrote:What does the bolded font on some of the events (and things in parentheses) mean? I'm particularly concerned about Entomology. ;-;
Bolded items are events/topics that are new (events/topics that replace events/topics from this year); items in parentheses are focus topics (like glaciers for Dynamic Planet, for example).
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
caseyotis
State: NY

Post by caseyotis »

Luo wrote:
caseyotis wrote:What does the bolded font on some of the events (and things in parentheses) mean? I'm particularly concerned about Entomology. ;-;
Bolded items are events/topics that are new (events/topics that replace events/topics from this year); items in parentheses are focus topics (like glaciers for Dynamic Planet, for example).
Oh, okay. xD That makes sense. Thanks!
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sciolapedia
State: PA

Post by Sciolapedia »

I'm a little sad that the system next year is the integumentary system. I was expecting cardiovascular system or endocrine. I also don't understand how it's possible to make a whole topic out of the integumentary system since it is such a small system. :(
SciolySwami
Division: B

Post by SciolySwami »

Sciolapedia wrote:I'm a little sad that the system next year is the integumentary system. I was expecting cardiovascular system or endocrine. I also don't understand how it's possible to make a whole topic out of the integumentary system since it is such a small system. :(
Yeah I completely agree. The questions about the integumentary system are going to ask for specific details since there is not much to learn about it compared to previous systems. :(
ckssv07

Post by ckssv07 »

SciolySwami wrote:
Sciolapedia wrote:I'm a little sad that the system next year is the integumentary system. I was expecting cardiovascular system or endocrine. I also don't understand how it's possible to make a whole topic out of the integumentary system since it is such a small system. :(
Yeah I completely agree. The questions about the integumentary system are going to ask for specific details since there is not much to learn about it compared to previous systems. :(
Ive only competed in it once but isnt that how its supposed to be, one old system for really indepth questions, and another system that rotates in that is supposed to be more of an intro?
49ers
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by 49ers »

SciolySwami wrote:
There is a LOT more to the integumentary system than you think. You will probably be asked very specific questions, but A&P is an extremely in-depth competition event. Endocrine was 2 years ago (because I competed when that was an event), so that is certainly too recent. But, it should be a good competition as it will show your true knowledge of Anatomy.
East Stroudsburg South and J.T.L Cavs Alumnus
49ersfan
Metsfan
You are now free to lose the game.
ESU Warrior '21
Need a rugger? Look no further.
Disk is lif.
Physics; Earth and Space Science major; Math minor.
Get me out of this place *gestures wildly at USA*
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by AlphaTauri »

Congrats to Harriton, Penncrest, Shady Side, and Strath Haven for representing PA at Nationals, especially Harriton for getting 2nd place overall! Now here's hoping that Harriton can give Solon a real run for their money next year, and that Penncrest, Shady Side, and Strath Haven can all break into the Top 10 (and do awesomely, though it seems that recently, 2nd place teams from PA seem to have a thing for 14th place at Nats - Strath Haven has gotten 14th two years in a row, and Penncrest/Rustin have as well).

Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
havenguy

Post by havenguy »

AlphaTauri wrote:Congrats to Harriton, Penncrest, Shady Side, and Strath Haven for representing PA at Nationals, especially Harriton for getting 2nd place overall! Now here's hoping that Harriton can give Solon a real run for their money next year, and that Penncrest, Shady Side, and Strath Haven can all break into the Top 10 (and do awesomely, though it seems that recently, 2nd place teams from PA seem to have a thing for 14th place at Nats - Strath Haven has gotten 14th two years in a row, and Penncrest/Rustin have as well).

We got 17th last year, not 14th :) . Man, it's tough for Shady Side...1 point away from 10th.

Also, I'm very happy to even place in the top 15--this year seemed the most competitive in Nationals history.
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th
ckssv07

Post by ckssv07 »

havenguy wrote:
AlphaTauri wrote:Congrats to Harriton, Penncrest, Shady Side, and Strath Haven for representing PA at Nationals, especially Harriton for getting 2nd place overall! Now here's hoping that Harriton can give Solon a real run for their money next year, and that Penncrest, Shady Side, and Strath Haven can all break into the Top 10 (and do awesomely, though it seems that recently, 2nd place teams from PA seem to have a thing for 14th place at Nats - Strath Haven has gotten 14th two years in a row, and Penncrest/Rustin have as well).

We got 17th last year, not 14th :) . Man, it's tough for Shady Side...1 point away from 10th.

Also, I'm very happy to even place in the top 15--this year seemed the most competitive in Nationals history.
Its even worse if you do the worst on your team byFAR... :cry:

Return to “2013 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”