Pennsylvania 2013

rickyreports
Division: B
State: PA

Re: Pennsylvania 2013

Postby rickyreports » April 21st, 2013, 6:46 pm

im from welsh valley and quite honestly I beive we can take strath haven this time and go to nationals we have such a domianent team even though we have no 9th graders I would not be supraised if my mousetrap takes first

silverheart7
Division: Grad
State: NY

Postby silverheart7 » April 21st, 2013, 6:48 pm

...Maybe we all need to stop talking about rankings?
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer

Jdogg

Postby Jdogg » April 21st, 2013, 6:50 pm

im from welsh valley and quite honestly I beive we can take strath haven this time and go to nationals we have such a domianent team even though we have no 9th graders I would not be supraised if my mousetrap takes first
I would be supraised :P. Unless you've optimized your car to be 100% efficiency and can hit the dot (0mm off) then you never really know if your going to get first. Even then if you can do it so can another team ;). But yeah, so other teams are still in it to win it. So let the best team win :).
Harriton Class of 2013
Vice-Deputy of Avionics and Control for Lunar Lion
Assistant Coach of State College High School

ckssv07
Division: C

Postby ckssv07 » April 21st, 2013, 6:54 pm

I apologize it's just that he says were gonna win a lot and i get mad because were not garuanteed.

havenguy

Postby havenguy » April 21st, 2013, 7:03 pm

To be honest, I think just about anyone going to States can beat us. The only reason why people have been ranking us so high this year is because we have worked incredibly hard to get to the point where we are (as shown in our Regionals results), and we are still working very hard to have a good showing at States this year. Theoretically, a day where every single team does flawlessly in all their events, it should come to the point where the team that has worked the hardest and has prepared the most will win. Therefor, although we've done a great deal of work this year, a team that works much, much harder to get past the point where we are , and where any other team is for that matter, should go to Nationals.

Of course, this is assuming a flawless day for everyone, which never happens. The only way to ensure yourself a good placement in an event is to prepare yourself as much as possible for that event. Which is why, instead of discussing rankings and taunting other teams (like silverheart said), we should all be focusing on studying, building, and preparing ourselves for Friday :) .

On a very different note, who is doing Geek Speak? For those of you that don't know what it is, check it out: http://projects.juniata.edu/scioly/extras/GeekSpeek.pdf
It sounds like a lot of fun, and hopefully a few more teams will sign up before April 24th. I'm very interested to see what team knows that most about Lord Of The Rings in our State :D
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th

earthbot25

Postby earthbot25 » April 21st, 2013, 7:08 pm

To be honest, I think just about anyone going to States can beat us. The only reason why people have been ranking us so high this year is because we have worked incredibly hard to get to the point where we are (as shown in our Regionals results), and we are still working very hard to have a good showing at States this year. Theoretically, a day where every single team does flawlessly in all their events, it should come to the point where the team that has worked the hardest and has prepared the most will win. Therefor, although we've done a great deal of work this year, a team that works much, much harder to get past the point where we are , and where any other team is for that matter, should go to Nationals.

Of course, this is assuming a flawless day for everyone, which never happens. The only way to ensure yourself a good placement in an event is to prepare yourself as much as possible for that event. Which is why, instead of discussing rankings and taunting other teams (like silverheart said), we should all be focusing on studying, building, and preparing ourselves for Friday :) .

On a very different note, who is doing Geek Speak? For those of you that don't know what it is, check it out: http://projects.juniata.edu/scioly/extras/GeekSpeek.pdf
It sounds like a lot of fun, and hopefully a few more teams will sign up before April 24th. I'm very interested to see what team knows that most about Lord Of The Rings in our State :D
Spot on havenguy, it's all about what goes down on the actual day, no matter how much you've prepared, but, on another fun note, who is psyched about the smoothies?!
Last edited by earthbot25 on April 21st, 2013, 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harriton Class of 2014

Past Events: C: Materials Science, Chemistry Lab, TPS, Experimental Design, Mission Possible, Microbe Mission, WIDI, Helicopters. B: Bio-Process Lab, Towers, Microbe Mission, Robocross, Physical Science Lab

Jdogg

Postby Jdogg » April 21st, 2013, 7:10 pm

S

Spot on havenguy, it's all about what goes down on the actual day, no matter how much you've prepared, but, on another fun note, who is psyched about the smoothies?!
WIll you get one for me :D? pls :D
Harriton Class of 2013
Vice-Deputy of Avionics and Control for Lunar Lion
Assistant Coach of State College High School

computergeek3

Postby computergeek3 » April 21st, 2013, 7:24 pm

...Maybe we all need to stop talking about rankings?
Seconded
If you can't explain it simply, you don't know it well enough. -Albert Einstein

Bayard Rustin Science Olympiad 2010-2014
Pittsburgh Allderdice Assistant Coach

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » April 21st, 2013, 7:28 pm

Which is why, instead of discussing rankings and taunting other teams (like silverheart said), we should all be focusing on studying, building, and preparing ourselves for Friday :) .
I hope everyone realizes Sciolapedia and ckssv07 are from the same team, right?
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

havenguy

Postby havenguy » April 21st, 2013, 7:48 pm

Which is why, instead of discussing rankings and taunting other teams (like silverheart said), we should all be focusing on studying, building, and preparing ourselves for Friday :) .
I hope everyone realizes Sciolapedia and ckssv07 are from the same team, right?
Of course. Sciolapedia was taunting us other teams, and ckssv07 was scolding him for it. With all the tension hanging around (with PA States coming up and all), it's only natural that we're putting on our game faces and getting ready to show everyone what we've got. Let's just do it in good spirits, eh?
Who is psyched about the smoothies?!
Juniata smoothies are the best :D

However, I've had several people, even some people on my team, ask where the smoothies are. I believe they are just inside the Von Liebig Center (correct me if I'm wrong). Walk in the main entrance and turn to the right. There is usually a long line of people there, so it shouldn't be hard to spot.

I love Juniata...every year, I'm surprised by how nice it is there. It's probably one of my favorite campuses I've visited (well, I've only been to 8, but still).
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th

Return to “2013 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”