Pennsylvania 2013

Jdogg
Division: Grad
State: PA

Re: Pennsylvania 2013

Postby Jdogg » April 26th, 2013, 6:19 pm

Whoo, congrats to everyone, especially Harriton, Penncrest, Shady Side, and Strath Haven!

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at medaling in things other than astro...didn't expect that at all XD Speaking of astro, gotta say I loved this year's test, Mr. Cicc, and I quite agree with what ichaelm said at the end of the test - I really do learn a lot of things from those States tests and I really think I'm better at astro because of that.

(Also, why are our attempts to meet up always severely deficient in people? This year it was me, hmcginny, Jdogg, and another Harriton kid standing around talking about random events >.>)
You missed a bunch of people, like all the lambert kids and 49er. Congrats alpha on tps, fermi, and astro :)
Last edited by Jdogg on April 28th, 2013, 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harriton Class of 2013
Vice-Deputy of Avionics and Control for Lunar Lion
Assistant Coach of State College High School

AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Postby AlphaTauri » April 26th, 2013, 7:29 pm

Whoo, congrats to everyone, especially Harriton, Penncrest, Shady Side, and Strath Haven!

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at medaling in things other than astro...didn't expect that at all XD Speaking of astro, gotta say I loved this year's test, Mr. Cicc, and I quite agree with what ichaelm said at the end of the test - I really do learn a lot of things from those States tests and I really think I'm better at astro because of that.

(Also, why are our attempts to meet up always severely deficient in people? This year it was me, hmcginny, Jdogg, and another Harriton kid standing around talking about random events >.>)
You missed a bunch of people, like it lambert kids and 49er. Congrats alpha on tps, fermi, and chem lab :)
Thanks mate :D Congrats to you too on all your medals! (you medaled in so many things that I lost track of them all)

Also, yeah...I felt really awkward barging in while you guys were talking to the Rustin coach about TPS, so I kind of wandered back out again and came back a bit later XD
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!

havenguy

Postby havenguy » April 26th, 2013, 7:32 pm

B Div:
6. Welsh Valley
5. Allen
4. Bala Cynwyd
3. Stroudsburg, ~215
2. Strath Haven: 14 medals ~150
1. Shady Side, 18 medals ~80

The point values are just something I overheard--not official.

Congratulations to Shady Side, Penncrest and Harriton for making Nationals, and to every single team there for competing in PA States!
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th

isaysroar
Division: C

Postby isaysroar » April 26th, 2013, 8:59 pm

Congrats to everyone!!!! This has to be my favorite and strongest team of the year for JTLambert! Although we got 7th place I thought we did well as a team. I was especially surprised at the amount of medals jdogg was carrying! ...must have hurt after a while. Also, to my friends at Abington Heights it was a pleasure having you all at the hotel. This is my final year of Science Olympiad and I'm saying goodbye and saying hello to Division C:) I hope to excel in Division C as a team and as an individual competitor. What I am excited for are the individual event scores and placings coming out on Tuesday! Congratulations to all PA Science Olympians for another great year! ...And goodluck Harriton, Pencrest, Strath Haven, and Shady Side. And even though they're not going to nationals, wonderful job Stroudsburg for surprising us all:D
Disease Detectives- 4th
Helicopters- 1st
Road Scholar- 5th
Write it Do it- 2nd

earthbot25

Postby earthbot25 » April 26th, 2013, 9:00 pm

Good job to everyone who was at states today! PA states always has a great atmosphere
Harriton Class of 2014

Past Events: C: Materials Science, Chemistry Lab, TPS, Experimental Design, Mission Possible, Microbe Mission, WIDI, Helicopters. B: Bio-Process Lab, Towers, Microbe Mission, Robocross, Physical Science Lab

stephritz929
Division: C

Postby stephritz929 » April 26th, 2013, 10:08 pm

Thank you isaysroar!! I am from Stroudsburg we got third place with a 213 I heard. And we surprised ourselves..literally when they called our name we didn't even know what it was for, or that it was us..I'm still in shock! We got minimal medals but we pulled the infamous "getting 6-10th and sneaking up for a semi-victory" it was quite pleasing :D congratulations to a well deserved win for the four teams going to Nationals, and a big congrats to my wonderful team for pulling off an amazing save from fifth at regionals to third at states! Good job everyone else for competing as well!
Without motivation, what is success?
2012:
Regionals, States
Compute This: 14, 9
Disease Detectives: 3, 10
Team: 1, 7

2013:
Regionals, States
Crime Busters: 2, ?
Disease Detectives: 5, 5
Forestry: 2, ?
Helicopters: 9, ?
Team: 5, 3

frogzorz

Postby frogzorz » April 26th, 2013, 10:45 pm

Congratulations to everyone at States yesterday. Whether you competed or not, you made this tournament so incredibly awesome (and good-mannered...as far as I know) and I thank you all for that. I'm looking forward to another great tournament next year!

To schools who fell short of making it to Nationals, I promise you that we will work as hard as we can to represent Pennsylvania and bring the strength of our state's schools to Ohio. We can be just as strong as any other powerhouse state in the country, and we'll prove it.

PS: I'm sorry I didn't make it to the meetup in the afternoon. I just totally forgot about it while playing frisbee...hehe
Harriton '15, Penn C'19
Design Manager and Disease Detectives co-supervisor for SOUP 2018

Cjkowalcz
Division: B

Postby Cjkowalcz » April 27th, 2013, 4:57 am

That guy who won the award at states was so happy! :D
2014 Rustin Invitational:
Entomology: 5th
Experimental Design: 1st
2014 Regionals:
Entomology: 3rd
Meteorology: 2nd
Experimental Design: 1st
2014 States:
???
Medal Count: 14 (Hoping for 15 after my last B-division States ;))

crabnebula143
Location: somewhere where they have really, really, really good food

Postby crabnebula143 » April 27th, 2013, 6:31 am

Congratulations to everyone at states!!!!! This was my seventh and last year here and once again, everything was run really well and really smoothly.
:D.

Thank you for everyone who made this day possible!

Special thanks to the LM coach (Mr. Stetner? maybe?) for a hard dynamic test and special thanks to Mr. Ciccarelli (spelling?) from Penncrest for once again writing a really hard astronomy test!!!

Alphatauri - I completely agree with you about the astro test!!! That + smoothies was a great way to end the competition day :).
BC / Harriton High School
'We say we love flowers, yet we pluck them. We say we love trees, yet we cut them down. And people still wonder why some are afraid when told they are loved.'
'Having dined on their companions, they now lie at the center of the cluster, waiting for more food to arrive.'

kentuckyfan1001
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: OH

Postby kentuckyfan1001 » April 27th, 2013, 11:24 am

Congrats again to everyone who went to the state tournament yesterday! I was busy running helicopters all day and couldn't meet up with you guys, sorry :(

I would like feedback from helicopters if possible. This was my first time running a state event, so I would like to get any comments or concerns from you guys. Feel free to PM me or reply here. Thank you guys!
-JZ Solon '12, Penn '16
2013 Helicopters PA State Supervisor

Return to “2013 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”