Texas 2013

sofan
Division: B
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Texas 2013

Post by sofan »

jacobxc wrote:For anyone who is looking for donations from organizations. Look and see if you area, town, or cities has a rotary club. They gave us and Riverwood a combined total of I think $1200 so I think that would help you all.
It may be easy for you since yall have gotten high achevements but for others it may be hard.
New school year! New scioly season! Another year to do something great!

2013 galveston regionals:
rotor: 3rd
pic: 2nd(Texas event)
overall:3rd
2013 state:
rotor:4th
overall: 12th :I
jacobxc
Division: C

Post by jacobxc »

sofan wrote:
jacobxc wrote:For anyone who is looking for donations from organizations. Look and see if you area, town, or cities has a rotary club. They gave us and Riverwood a combined total of I think $1200 so I think that would help you all.
It may be easy for you since yall have gotten high achevements but for others it may be hard.
Well I'm not saying they well be like Science Olympiad here's $2000 you have to apply for it. In fact me and some of my team member have to make a presentation to show the we are a good organization to donate to now and in the future. We actually got more than Riverwood And this is their fourth year going to national and kingwood has never gone.
Real atheletes run miles not yards
patil215

Post by patil215 »

Looks like Seven Lakes came in 6th and Clements in 30th at nationals.
I'm not surprised Clements finished in the lesser half, considering they substituted many of their national events for Texas state events at the state tournament.
This only reinforces my belief that Texas events shouldn't be offered at the state tournament. The goal of the state tournament is to pick the most nationally competitive teams to represent Texas. Offering Texas events completely goes against this idea, especially considering that nationals is only two weeks away from state, meaning that there really isn't any time afterwards to improve on national events you do badly in. Teams that win by substituting events can go on to poorly represent Texas at nationals.
Last edited by patil215 on May 19th, 2013, 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Angstrom

Post by Angstrom »

patil215 wrote:Looks like Seven Lakes came in 6th and Clements in 30th at nationals.
I'm not surprised Clements did so poorly, considering they substituted many of their national events for Texas state events at the state tournament.
This only reinforces my belief that Texas events shouldn't be offered at the state tournament. The goal of the state tournament is to pick the most nationally competitive teams to represent Texas. Offering Texas events completely goes against this idea, especially considering that nationals is only two weeks away from state, meaning that there really isn't any time afterwards to improve on national events you do badly in. Teams that win by substituting events such as Clements go on to do terribly and poorly represent Texas at nationals.
Cut them a little slack, it was their first time at Nationals. And by "a little slack" I mean "all of the slack". What were the events they dropped at State? Glider, Robot, Remote, Rocks, WIDI. How did they do in them at Nationals? 26, 38, 18, 42, 40. Multiply that sum by 23/5 and you get a score that would have put them ... 37th. As opposed to 30th. Does it make that much of a difference? No.

The reason they didn't do as well as might have been expected is because Nationals is different from State. Not just in terms of events, but in terms of testing style. In terms of atmosphere. In terms of basically everything. Clements has never done it. I'm sure if they go to Nationals next year, they'll do better.

I don't know who you are, but if you're from LASA, I will find you and slap you. There's such a thing as a "sore loser", and that is the definition of it.
Kealing '09
LASA '13

Hard science.
Angstrom

Post by Angstrom »

By the way, CONGRATULATIONS TO SEVEN LAKES FOR HAVING THE BEST NATIONAL FINISH OUT OF TEXAS EVER.

I think this is cause for a lot of praise.
Kealing '09
LASA '13

Hard science.
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad

Post by iwonder »

Angstrom wrote: I don't know who you are, but if you're from LASA, I will find you and slap you.
LOL. LASA still did really well, you guys beat us by a lot :P just all the more reason to work harder next year!
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
patil215

Post by patil215 »

I'd like to apologize for what I posted above. I dislike the idea of Texas events, and I used Clements' results to try to push my own opinion. I realize I did not take into account that this was the first time Clements attended nationals, how nationals is quite different from state, and that what I said may have been hurtful to some.
Again, I made it seem like I was mad or upset at Clements... I'm really not. It's not fair to be irritated anyways; Clements didn't break any rules, and it was the choice of the teams if they wanted to take advantage of the opportunity. I'm also sure that they would have done really well anyways without substituting events.
I think it's awesome how Clements was able to pull off a first place win at state this year from third last year, with a point total 1/3 last year's.
Here's to a fun, competitive, awesome scio next year!
GeoChamp96

Post by GeoChamp96 »

Clements has actually been to Nationals twice before this year, in 2007 and 2008. They got 32nd in 2007 and 31st in 2008. I guess it figures they'd get 30th this year.
harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Post by harryk »

Angstrom wrote: The reason they didn't do as well as might have been expected is because Nationals is different from State. Not just in terms of events, but in terms of testing style. In terms of atmosphere. In terms of basically everything. Clements has never done it. I'm sure if they go to Nationals next year, they'll do better.
This is very true. Plus the excitement of going to nationals for the first time can be very distracting to focusing on the actual competition. It takes time for any team to perform well at Nats. It took LASA four years to just get in the top twenty. Seven Lakes has actually improved their performance very quickly to place 6th in just three years.
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time
2win

Post by 2win »

YEAAAAAAAA CONGRATULATIONS TO SEVEN LAKES!!!! REPPIN KT,TX and well TEXAS IN GENERAL!

Yeah but considering they're fed by Beckendorff, it's not surprising that it didn't take long for them to advance that much.
k-tx. retiring from scioly.

Return to “2013 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”