Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Texas 2013

Post by harryk » October 17th, 2012, 6:14 am

foreverphysics wrote:So say you are starting a team in Austin, Texas.
Is it too late to start a proper team? And will LASA just eat your brains at Regionals?
No it's not too late, registration is open til January. In Texas you can choose whichever regional you want to go to, there is no zoning or such. Though you may have a restricted choice of regionals because they fill up.
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time

Barker

Post by Barker » October 18th, 2012, 11:03 am

There will be no brain eating, maybe just some football owning. What school are you from? I mean, we're going to a pretty non-region regional (Galveston) so you probably wouldn't run into us until State (if you made it there). I wouldn't say that it's "too late" to start a team as long as you have enough people who are interested and willing to work.
TREES!

foreverphysics
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics » October 18th, 2012, 11:56 am

I am from Auburn Junior High School in Alabama. However, one of my friends is moving to Texas (Anderson High School in Austin--which is why I'm asking about LASA), and he is thinking about starting an SO team there.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"

Barker

Post by Barker » October 25th, 2012, 2:59 pm

Anderson has the IB program so they probably have some smart kids. Also there aren't any strictly based geographical region competitions you can go to any "Regional" tournament. It'd be great to have another team in the Austin area, right now they're's just us and St. Andrews
TREES!

iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by iwonder » October 25th, 2012, 4:48 pm

Here's one of those strange things I'm probably going to get in trouble for asking out here... The cyfalls invite schedule has MagLev down as a build event, meaning teams will sign up for time slots and compete the same way as boom, after reading the maglev rules, I realize that this isn't the way the event is meant to be run. Normally at contests like this seperate teams from the same svhool(a,b,c) are all in the same time block, to prevent cheating. In light of this, what comments do the texans on here have on wether maglev should be run like optics was, or like boom or another build event is run.(if its run like a standard build event, teams(a,b,c) could sign up for time slots hours apart)

harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by harryk » October 25th, 2012, 5:30 pm

iwonder wrote:Here's one of those strange things I'm probably going to get in trouble for asking out here... The cyfalls invite schedule has MagLev down as a build event, meaning teams will sign up for time slots and compete the same way as boom, after reading the maglev rules, I realize that this isn't the way the event is meant to be run. Normally at contests like this seperate teams from the same svhool(a,b,c) are all in the same time block, to prevent cheating. In light of this, what comments do the texans on here have on wether maglev should be run like optics was, or like boom or another build event is run.(if its run like a standard build event, teams(a,b,c) could sign up for time slots hours apart)
I'd probably prefer to have it run like optics, but then again having it be sign up will reduce timing conflicts
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time

robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by robotman » October 25th, 2012, 7:19 pm

iwonder wrote:Here's one of those strange things I'm probably going to get in trouble for asking out here... The cyfalls invite schedule has MagLev down as a build event, meaning teams will sign up for time slots and compete the same way as boom, after reading the maglev rules, I realize that this isn't the way the event is meant to be run. Normally at contests like this seperate teams from the same svhool(a,b,c) are all in the same time block, to prevent cheating. In light of this, what comments do the texans on here have on wether maglev should be run like optics was, or like boom or another build event is run.(if its run like a standard build event, teams(a,b,c) could sign up for time slots hours apart)
I would say that normally I would think optics like setup would be best.
However I think at this point, most teams have already setup their pairs based on it being a build event, so I think it would be easiest for some teams to want it to stay as a build event.
Edit the [wiki][/wiki].
Upload to the Image Gallery
Get Medals

ptkid

Post by ptkid » October 30th, 2012, 7:20 pm

10 days until Cyfalls invitational!
Seven Lakes High School '16
Previous National Champion in Green Generation and National Medalist in CJAP, Disease Detectives, Entomology, & Water Quality

iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by iwonder » November 1st, 2012, 7:01 pm

We sent out emails for ESUS today, maglev will be run as a study event, but scheduled as a build event... :?

Can't wait to see everyone there!
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown

Barker

Post by Barker » November 8th, 2012, 6:00 pm

Seeing as how we're leaving for Cy-Falls tomorrow, it'd be really great if our engineering was done. Unfortunately it isn't. Welcome to LASA.
TREES!

Return to “2013 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”