syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0

Re: New York 2013

Post by syo_astro » January 13th, 2013, 1:09 pm

OldSpice wrote:Congratulations to Columbia for winning the RCS invitational yesterday, as well as all the other teams there who helped make it a positive experience for everyone!

If anyone is curious the top three places went a little like this:
~80 points - Columbia Blue
128 points - Fayetteville Green
129 points - Spackenkill Green
Congrats indeed, does Columbia usually win? I think I have heard that FM does really up their game by states, but either way. I'll just go and dive back into my piles of school/scioly work -_-
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

OldSpice
Division: C
Been thanked: 0

Post by OldSpice » January 13th, 2013, 4:20 pm

syo_astro wrote: Congrats indeed, does Columbia usually win? I think I have heard that FM does really up their game by states, but either way. I'll just go and dive back into my piles of school/scioly work -_-
I believe Columbia has a history of dominating there, but this is the first year FM and Spack attended this invitational.
The man your man could smell like.
Event [RCS Invite]
Fermi Questions [4]
Forestry [7]
Remote Sensing [4]
Robot Arm [-]

quizbowl

Post by quizbowl » January 13th, 2013, 5:14 pm

OldSpice wrote: ~80 points - Columbia Blue
Legitimately shocked.
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.

RandomPerson
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: IN

Post by RandomPerson » January 13th, 2013, 5:54 pm

syo_astro wrote:
OldSpice wrote:Congratulations to Columbia for winning the RCS invitational yesterday, as well as all the other teams there who helped make it a positive experience for everyone!

If anyone is curious the top three places went a little like this:
~80 points - Columbia Blue
Congrats indeed, does Columbia usually win? I think I have heard that FM does really up their game by states, but either way. I'll just go and dive back into my piles of school/scioly work -_-
A disclaimer that as a grad I have less knowledge on this stuff then usual.

You've heard correct (probably from me too :D) FM from what I know tends to intensify their studying as the year goes on. So while they may be just a little above average during regionals (compared to say, Spack or Ward Melville, they still handily best the rest of the teams in our region), they will be well above average in states and then top ten at nationals.

Combine this with the fact that they lost 7 seniors last year (its a bad idea to max out with 7 IMHO) and the fact that they changed coaches and this is fairly predictable performance.

I still fully expect them to make it to nationals, but its entirely possible they get 2nd instead of 1st at states. While they did change coaches, the replacement is very competent (and a lovely person ). It may just take them a couple years to get back to normal.

Anyone from FM reading this: You did a nice job, keep going.
A new era has begun

JuiceBagel3

Post by JuiceBagel3 » January 14th, 2013, 2:24 pm

Also, Fayetteville and Spackenkill, as well as Columbia, each had two teams which did well in the competition, so I'm guessing they combine the top students from each team in order to maximize their medals. It was a tough competition though, everyone did awesome.
Columbia High School
Events: Water Quality, Glaciers, Rocks and Minerals, Forestry

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro » January 14th, 2013, 2:57 pm

JuiceBagel3 wrote:Also, Fayetteville and Spackenkill, as well as Columbia, each had two teams which did well in the competition, so I'm guessing they combine the top students from each team in order to maximize their medals. It was a tough competition though, everyone did awesome.
First, thank you for that. In general, I think this is just one invite, and we should all just take it as we will and keep working. As usual: states will be interesting. Oh, and hey JuiceBagel. Not sure if you caught it on the PA forum, but I'm now on rocks >.> (really imo as a page turner, but still, maybe meetup!). So...this weekend should be "fun."
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

JuiceBagel3

Post by JuiceBagel3 » January 14th, 2013, 4:06 pm

Haha syo_astro...good luck! Fortunately for you I'm not competiting this weekend ;) haha just kidding about the fortunate part, but I didn't make Columbia's "A-Team" which goes to States and Athens. But I'll still be there this weekend for support, just not testing at all.
Columbia High School
Events: Water Quality, Glaciers, Rocks and Minerals, Forestry

synonymous

Post by synonymous » January 14th, 2013, 5:30 pm

JuiceBagel3 wrote:Also, Fayetteville and Spackenkill, as well as Columbia, each had two teams which did well in the competition, so I'm guessing they combine the top students from each team in order to maximize their medals. It was a tough competition though, everyone did awesome.
Just to clarify, Fayetteville doesn't combine top students from different teams. They stay completely separate for the entire SO season.

fanjiatian

Post by fanjiatian » January 25th, 2013, 7:46 pm

Signup for the Harriton High School invitational!

General tournament sign ups: Make sure you print out the confirmation form!
http://www.amiando.com/PLYIKAO.html

Once you've signed up for the general tournament, sign up for your event slots:
http://www.signupgenius.com/go/70A0D44A ... 8-harriton

For general info about the tournament: http://h2s2o.com/festivus.php
Last edited by fanjiatian on January 27th, 2013, 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

BroNiSciGuy

Post by BroNiSciGuy » January 26th, 2013, 6:21 pm

Two Div. C Regionals were today.

In Mid-Hudson, Mount Academy A took first with 42 points with 9 gold medals!
Spackenkill B was second with 72
John Jay 1 was third with 74.
Full results have already been posted https://sites.google.com/a/sunyulster.e ... -olympiad/

Mid-State has not posted any results yet.
Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY
Regional Site Coordinator, Nassau West, NY
State Event Supervisor, NY
National Event Supervisor, USA

Return to “2013 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”