caseyotis
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New York 2013

Post by caseyotis »

physicsphan wrote:
caseyotis wrote:If the issue is more stress, why don't the nationals for Div. B and C take place on different dates? *shrug*

Right now, I think there's a lot of bias in this thread and it should be moved to a new topic, which could be put in the nationals forum. I already gave my opinion, which is that (like paleo said) it's unfair for NY to send 2 teams when it has over 550 participants, when some states that also send two teams aren't even at 200. I want to hear different perspectives from regular users on here, and it's difficult when this thread takes place in the New York state forum.
Read in the Archive the 2012-National-"States Sending Two Teams" posts. There are 8 pages of the opinion of others on this topic. http://www.scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... &start=105

Also I would think that for all of the volunteers and organizers that scheduling two different competitions on two different dates might be the most stressful option.
That's last year. I wasn't even online when that was out. People join and also change their opinions. Either way, it's only fair to have a 2013 post for this pressing subject, which is related to every state almost as much as NY. >.>

Why?
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BroNiSciGuy

Post by BroNiSciGuy »

Jdogg wrote:
lmatkovic3 wrote:Was that gravity vehicle score a legitimate score or is someone trolling? It seems awfully high for first place, even at 10m.
I think he just calculated the score incorrectly, i believe they got around a ~240. The distance was 8.2 meters.
8.2 meters
Predicted Time, Height, Time, Distance in mm, Score
1. Plattsburgh: 4.75, 56, 4.56, 12, 227.30
2. Spackenkill: 5.80, 46, 5.66, 11, 231.94
3. Ward Melville: 5.20, 45, 5.47, 29, 249.84
4. Fayettville-Manlius: 5.13, 45, 5.95, 31, 291.34
5. Mount Academy: 4.39, 67, 4.78, 46, 300.02
6. Cicero North Syracuse: 4.68, 50, 4.94, 85, 301.50

Gravity Vehicle NYS Event Supervisor
Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY
Regional Site Coordinator, Nassau West, NY
State Event Supervisor, NY
National Event Supervisor, USA
BroNiSciGuy

Post by BroNiSciGuy »

quizbowl wrote:.....Probably the largest regional in the nation. However, this was its last year - it will be divided into two separate regions, CLI (hosted by Kellenberg) and WLI (I believe Syosset, Wantagh and Hicksville will be the rotating hosts, correct me if I'm wrong).
Actually the two new regions will be called...

Eastern Nassau (host: Kellenberg)
Western Nassau (host: Syosset, others TBD, but Division and Wantagh may contribute and assist)
Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY
Regional Site Coordinator, Nassau West, NY
State Event Supervisor, NY
National Event Supervisor, USA
FueL

Post by FueL »

Jdogg wrote: Robot - FM got a 95.52 and WM got a 72
Oh, I thought we got a 77... don't remember now though.
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.
thehydrogenpoptart

Post by thehydrogenpoptart »

So, who's ready for the Western Long Island Regionals on Saturday? I sure am not XD
This is a bit late, but is anyone from the forums going, and if so, can we meet up?
Current Events: Dynamic Planet, Entomology, and Experimental Design
Past events: Battery Buggy, Optics, Crime Busters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Compute This, Food Science, Heredity, Metric Mastery, Rotor Egg Drop, Meteorology, Boomilever, Experimental Design, Geologic Mapping
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Post by syo_astro »

thehydrogenpoptart wrote:So, who's ready for the Western Long Island Regionals on Saturday? I sure am not XD
This is a bit late, but is anyone from the forums going, and if so, can we meet up?
Hey, hydrogen! lucentmemories and I may be going for fun/to see our middle school do eh (still fun, oh the memories). So, where shall we meet up? Also, pft. You are probably way better prepared than me when I was competing in div B.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
thehydrogenpoptart

Post by thehydrogenpoptart »

It'd be so awesome if you could go! If you do go, you could just look for Great Neck South's room and see if I or any other of my teammates on the forums are there, or we could meet up at lunch. It's going to be such a hectic day, since closing night of the school play is literally right after the awards ceremony.
Current Events: Dynamic Planet, Entomology, and Experimental Design
Past events: Battery Buggy, Optics, Crime Busters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Compute This, Food Science, Heredity, Metric Mastery, Rotor Egg Drop, Meteorology, Boomilever, Experimental Design, Geologic Mapping
Shad160

Post by Shad160 »

I'll be there tomorrow, proctoring Dynamic Planet and Reach
What happens on Alpha Lyrae, stays on Alpha Lyrae.
silverheart7

Post by silverheart7 »

I'll be at Eastern Long Island competing tomorrow :)
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
smartypants01

Post by smartypants01 »

silverheart7 wrote:I'll be at Eastern Long Island competing tomorrow :)
Me too! I see that you are competing in Boomilever. I am as well. Good luck look for simple blue shirts with nothing on the back and white lettering on the front. That's my school.
2013 Results

Eastern Long Island Regionals
Boomilever- 10th
Heredity- 3rd
Metric Mastery- 1st

New York States
Boomilever- :(
Metric Mastery- 3rd!!!!!
Write It Do It- 6th

Return to “2013 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”