Been thanked: 0

New York 2013

Post by thehydrogenpoptart »

Discussion for New York competitions.

http://www.newyorkscioly.org

States Dates:
B Division: April 12-13, Syracuse University
C Division: March 8-9, Monroe-Woodbury High School
Last edited by thehydrogenpoptart on August 29th, 2012, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Events: Dynamic Planet, Entomology, and Experimental Design
Past events: Battery Buggy, Optics, Crime Busters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Compute This, Food Science, Heredity, Metric Mastery, Rotor Egg Drop, Meteorology, Boomilever, Experimental Design, Geologic Mapping
Shad160
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0

Re: New York 2013

Post by Shad160 »

Ahh, just missed getting to create it by a few minutes :(

Super excited for the upcoming year, it's my senior year and the last chance for...everything
What happens on Alpha Lyrae, stays on Alpha Lyrae.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

Yeah, I was tempted to create the topic too XD. But hey we can have that little astro face off at regs/states like we have been declaring Shad ;).
I guess this year will at least be interesting. For me it'll be junior year, but I'll be trying to help my team out certainly.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
Shad160

Post by Shad160 »

syo_astro wrote: But hey we can have that little astro face off at regs/states like we have been declaring Shad ;).
Oh believe me, I'm waiting ;)
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by twototwenty »

syo_astro wrote:Yeah, I was tempted to create the topic too XD. But hey we can have that little astro face off at regs/states like we have been declaring Shad ;).
I guess this year will at least be interesting. For me it'll be junior year, but I'll be trying to help my team out certainly.
Yeah, I'm going into junior year too (as you already know, syo)...I had really wanted to go "all-out" with scioly this year, but what with amped up schoolwork and begining the college process, I don't know how that is going to work out.
Shad160

Post by Shad160 »

twototwenty wrote: Yeah, I'm going into junior year too (as you already know, syo)...I had really wanted to go "all-out" with scioly this year, but what with amped up schoolwork and begining the college process, I don't know how that is going to work out.
As I've already told syo, my junior year ended up actually being (by far) my easiest year of high school, leaving me a looot of time to focus on Scioly (that I ended up using to browse the internet...). My only regret was my SAT score, and that still managed to be above 2000. I may be an exception to the horrors of junior year, but who knows, you might end up with a similar experience :P
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by twototwenty »

That's good...with luck, that will be true for me as well.
quizbowl

Post by quizbowl »

Although I'm not leaving for three more weeks (#quartersystemproblems) I'm really going to miss New York Science Olympiad! At least states isn't at Canisius again -_-. Good luck to all teams this year, you might see a few questions of mine on some of your tests. It's going to be a close year - new teams, new events, new opportunities for all - so give it your best and show the other 49 why the Empire State is just so dang great. Any word on trials yet?
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.
thehydrogenpoptart
Division: C

Post by thehydrogenpoptart »

Personally, I'm just super excited for the new SciOly year! I'll be entering 8th grade, so this could very possibly be my last year in B Division and I want to turn our team into a more dominant one ie) invitationals, pushing everyone to dedicate more time and effort, pushing the coaches to fundraise more...And personally, I want to improve as well, perhaps earning at least 2 medals at Regionals this year. Maybe with everything I do this year, I'll forget about the terrible 20th place Crime Busters I got at Regionals last year XD
I've been checking the NY state website every day, and I'm really anxious to see the trial events too...
Current Events: Dynamic Planet, Entomology, and Experimental Design
Past events: Battery Buggy, Optics, Crime Busters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Compute This, Food Science, Heredity, Metric Mastery, Rotor Egg Drop, Meteorology, Boomilever, Experimental Design, Geologic Mapping
silverheart7

Post by silverheart7 »

I'm really excited for this year. It's my personal goal to get on our main cometition team (Gelinas has A, B, C, D, and E) but failing that, I just want to do better than last year and do my best. :D
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer

Return to “2013 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”