New York 2013

User avatar
EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 3006
Joined: January 17th, 2009, 7:32 am
Division: Grad
State: MD
Location: At work trying to be a real adult
Contact:

Re: New York 2013

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » July 30th, 2013, 6:07 pm

Just find someplace that's equally far from everyone! That's what we do with Juniata!

Seriously though, I'm sure the organizers do the best they can. While West Point is definitely closer to Long Island than central or western New York, it has so many teams that it probably deserves to host at least one tournament. However, it shouldn't become a yearly occurrence, because it's so far from the center of the state. Somewhere between West Point and Albany is probably the best location, based on my outsider's view.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki


If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

User avatar
YUSO
Member
Member
Posts: 81
Joined: April 30th, 2013, 8:20 am
Division: Grad
State: CT

Re: New York 2013

Postby YUSO » July 30th, 2013, 6:20 pm

The biggest issue with getting a venue is this: you are asking them to do a huge favor for you. "Huge" as in you are basically asking them "hey can I have a couple hundred kids come to your place and play with a bunch of science-y stuff that may or may not destroy your venue or themselves in the process and if that happens you may be responsible for it." We're all at their mercy on whether they want to host or not, so there's not much anyone can really do.
For final results from our our Division C Invitational Tournament in January 2014 at Yale University in New Haven, CT, click here: http://yuso.yale.edu/2014-results

andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 943
Joined: January 12th, 2007, 7:36 pm
Division: Grad
State: -

Re: New York 2013

Postby andrewwski » July 30th, 2013, 6:39 pm

syo_astro wrote:I guess I don't want to spend so much time with opinions and all of it being at Kellenberg (and just to say, after competing there I've had a lot of fun, thanks BroNi so much, still can't believe next year is my last wth...man, I even remember West Point being awesome...I'm upset it isn't there, but still really happy and hoping BroNi can handle it well). But if people have legitimate complaints, and correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be better to send them to the state coordinators or something? I know some try to read the forums, but if someone was that worried, then isn't that probably what should be done...not to say that we can't discuss it, just want to check (since I noticed JTMess's post).


I think, or at least hope, that it's more banter than actual complaints. I know the state organizers consider location among a multitude of other factors when trying to plan the tournament, and has been mentioned - finding a venue is difficult enough.

I've supervised events at tournaments both with extremely enthusiastic and wonderful hosts, and with hosts that seemingly didn't have a genuine interest. The difference is profound.
Please read Forum Rule #2:
2. Posts should have a legitimate purpose.

BroNiSciGuy
Member
Member
Posts: 59
Joined: March 16th, 2003, 1:59 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Kellenberg Memorial HS

Re: New York 2013

Postby BroNiSciGuy » July 30th, 2013, 6:40 pm

Interesting discussion.

Let's see what this provokes....

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=206115807985108517872.0004e2c088a82c316df54&msa=0&ll=42.940339,-75.970459&spn=6.079887,9.876709
(Probably a better way to embed that, but I couldn't find it.)

51 Div. C schools at 2013 NYS SO States, 28 within 130 mi radius of Kellenberg.

And yes, West Point and Monroe-Woodbury HS would be better centralized given this distribution of schools. But West Point is not ready, and.......

Listen to YUSO, he is closer to the truth then you guys know.
Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY
Regional Site Coordinator, Nassau West, NY
State Event Supervisor, NY
National Event Supervisor, USA

twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 292
Joined: March 24th, 2011, 10:28 am
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: New York 2013

Postby twototwenty » July 31st, 2013, 8:26 am

Who cares about the distance (and this is coming from a Rochester resident)....I'm just crying about it not being at West Point :( . All my favorite scioly memories come from being there as a freshman, and I had been really hoping to go back there as a senior...oh well.

On a side note, @ Shad, I noticed that you wrote something about being in Rochester to go to B Div states...are you going to school around here?

User avatar
YUSO
Member
Member
Posts: 81
Joined: April 30th, 2013, 8:20 am
Division: Grad
State: CT

Re: New York 2013

Postby YUSO » July 31st, 2013, 9:50 am

twototwenty wrote:Who cares about the distance (and this is coming from a Rochester resident)....I'm just crying about it not being at West Point :( . All my favorite scioly memories come from being there as a freshman, and I had been really hoping to go back there as a senior...oh well.

On a side note, @ Shad, I noticed that you wrote something about being in Rochester to go to B Div states...are you going to school around here?

Shad160's sidebar tells us he is attending U of R, c/o 2017. (Enjoy the underground tunnels! :P )
For final results from our our Division C Invitational Tournament in January 2014 at Yale University in New Haven, CT, click here: http://yuso.yale.edu/2014-results

User avatar
YUSO
Member
Member
Posts: 81
Joined: April 30th, 2013, 8:20 am
Division: Grad
State: CT

Re: New York 2013

Postby YUSO » July 31st, 2013, 1:56 pm

BroNiSciGuy wrote:Interesting discussion.

Let's see what this provokes....

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=20 ... 7,9.876709
(Probably a better way to embed that, but I couldn't find it.)

51 Div. C schools at 2013 NYS SO States, 28 within 130 mi radius of Kellenberg.

And yes, West Point and Monroe-Woodbury HS would be better centralized given this distribution of schools. But West Point is not ready, and.......

Listen to YUSO, he is closer to the truth then you guys know.

Great link. And thanks for the vote of confirmation.
For final results from our our Division C Invitational Tournament in January 2014 at Yale University in New Haven, CT, click here: http://yuso.yale.edu/2014-results

Shad160
Member
Member
Posts: 126
Joined: March 7th, 2009, 3:32 pm
Division: Grad
State: NY
Location: Hicksville -> URochester '17

Re: New York 2013

Postby Shad160 » July 31st, 2013, 9:15 pm

twototwenty wrote:On a side note, @ Shad, I noticed that you wrote something about being in Rochester to go to B Div states...are you going to school around here?

YUSO wrote:Shad160's sidebar tells us he is attending U of R, c/o 2017. (Enjoy the underground tunnels! :P )


Yep yep I'll be at the U of R for (at least) the next four years. Those tunnels will indeed become my friend ;)
What happens on Alpha Lyrae, stays on Alpha Lyrae.

twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 292
Joined: March 24th, 2011, 10:28 am
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: New York 2013

Postby twototwenty » August 1st, 2013, 6:57 am

Cool...it's a great school; I love its campus and its programs...I'd probably be applying there, if it weren't for the fact that I need to get out of Rochester ;) .

mathemaniac
Member
Member
Posts: 29
Joined: November 11th, 2010, 10:06 am
Division: C
State: IL
Location: IL -> NY

Re: New York 2013

Postby mathemaniac » August 9th, 2013, 10:24 pm

Hey everyone! I'm an incoming freshman at Columbia University. I did Science Olympiad for a couple of years in Illinois, and I'm hell-bent on staying involved with my favorite activity, so I'll be volunteering around at Regionals/hopefully States next year!

I noticed there was a lot of interest for "giving back" to Science Olympiad within the Class of 2017 at Columbia (which contains quite a few SciOly veterans), so we got together as a group, and currently, we're toying with the idea of potentially holding an invitational at Columbia University. This would be beneficial to a lot of New York teams because the drive to Morningside Heights isn't too far. In addition, our location is feasible for teams in New Jersey, Connecticut, and eastern Pennsylvania looking for a big invitational to take part in.

To make it more appealing to coaches, we're looking to make this a "no strings attached" deal. To elaborate - most invitational tournaments require coaches to serve as Event Supervisors, and some even require them to write tests. We realize that coaches may be more willing to go to a tournament if it is less stressful for them (and handling a team is enough stress). Our goal is to eliminate coach involvement with events completely. Tests will be written by Columbia students, events will be supervised by Columbia students, etc. At the end of the day, we want coaches to be able to coach their own team, not supervise everyone else's.

However, we came up with a little roadblock when planning a date. The way I see it, we have three options:

A. Early-mid December (this is normal in many states, but apparently not in New York, which may take it off the table)
B. January 25th (we don't want to conflict with invitationals that have already been established, but this date is very close to Regionals)
C. Late February/Early March (this may alienate teams who aren't going to state and subsequently close up their team for the year)

Which of these options would people prefer? If anyone has any comments/advice/suggestions/literally anything pertaining to Columbia's involvement in Science Olympiad, your opinion would be greatly valued. Thanks!
Former captain of the Metea Valley Varsity Science Olympiad Team.
All-time medal counter: 10
My favorite Science Olympiad accomplishment: Astronomy at Illinois States 2013 (2nd Place AA)

Columbia '17

Jdogg
Member
Member
Posts: 169
Joined: May 19th, 2011, 6:00 pm
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: Harriton > PSU

Re: New York 2013

Postby Jdogg » August 9th, 2013, 11:10 pm

mathemaniac wrote:Hey everyone! I'm an incoming freshman at Columbia University. I did Science Olympiad for a couple of years in Illinois, and I'm hell-bent on staying involved with my favorite activity, so I'll be volunteering around at Regionals/hopefully States next year!

I noticed there was a lot of interest for "giving back" to Science Olympiad within the Class of 2017 at Columbia (which contains quite a few SciOly veterans), so we got together as a group, and currently, we're toying with the idea of potentially holding an invitational at Columbia University. This would be beneficial to a lot of New York teams because the drive to Morningside Heights isn't too far. In addition, our location is feasible for teams in New Jersey, Connecticut, and eastern Pennsylvania looking for a big invitational to take part in.

To make it more appealing to coaches, we're looking to make this a "no strings attached" deal. To elaborate - most invitational tournaments require coaches to serve as Event Supervisors, and some even require them to write tests. We realize that coaches may be more willing to go to a tournament if it is less stressful for them (and handling a team is enough stress). Our goal is to eliminate coach involvement with events completely. Tests will be written by Columbia students, events will be supervised by Columbia students, etc. At the end of the day, we want coaches to be able to coach their own team, not supervise everyone else's.

However, we came up with a little roadblock when planning a date. The way I see it, we have three options:

A. Early-mid December (this is normal in many states, but apparently not in New York, which may take it off the table)
B. January 25th (we don't want to conflict with invitationals that have already been established, but this date is very close to Regionals)
C. Late February/Early March (this may alienate teams who aren't going to state and subsequently close up their team for the year)

Which of these options would people prefer? If anyone has any comments/advice/suggestions/literally anything pertaining to Columbia's involvement in Science Olympiad, your opinion would be greatly valued. Thanks!


Hey, I just have an opinion (since I'm also a alumni now, but since I was on a Eastern PA team my incite might help). I know that around January your going to lose most if not all of SE PA and some of NJ due to all the competitions that are already established and have had several years to progress. This includes Athens invite which is most likely going to be the 25th (going off of past years), which draws a large number of schools because of the amazing coordination of the event by the athens coaches and team. You also have stoga which is early January, tiger which is early February, and Harriton's festivus which is probably going to be some time February. Then you have regionals in new york, early Feburary and regionals in PA March. Which makes A seem like a logical choice. I know NE hasn't had a competition that earlier, but other states do it so why not! I know most teams may still be putting their team together and building the tech events, plus you'll have to make sure that it doesn't conflict with Christmas vacation plans for teachers and students. I think this would be a great idea, I know Yale is also going to be hosting a invitational as well so good luck!
Harriton Class of 2013
Vice-Deputy of Avionics and Control for Lunar Lion
Assistant Coach of State College High School

mathemaniac
Member
Member
Posts: 29
Joined: November 11th, 2010, 10:06 am
Division: C
State: IL
Location: IL -> NY

Re: New York 2013

Postby mathemaniac » August 10th, 2013, 12:07 am

You make some pretty good points, thanks for your help! However, I do have a question about Athens: I thought it was held on the 19th (3rd saturday of the month) last year, so why do you think it will move to the 25th this year? I feel like the 18th would make more sense...and if that's the case, we get all of that wonderful Eastern PA and NJ competition back (or at least some of it!) My main concerns for the early December date are that A. Many schools in New York aren't really used to such a thing, B. Many schools in New York have finals around that time, and C. Columbia has finals around that time, which could hurt our volunteer base.


Edit: To be clear, we're definitely leaning towards the January 25th date.
Former captain of the Metea Valley Varsity Science Olympiad Team.
All-time medal counter: 10
My favorite Science Olympiad accomplishment: Astronomy at Illinois States 2013 (2nd Place AA)

Columbia '17

silverheart7
Member
Member
Posts: 394
Joined: October 8th, 2011, 7:50 pm
Division: Grad
State: NY
Location: Eastern Long Island

Re: New York 2013

Postby silverheart7 » August 10th, 2013, 9:14 am

Will this be Division B or C? Bayard Rustin (B) was on the 25-26th last year.
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer

mathemaniac
Member
Member
Posts: 29
Joined: November 11th, 2010, 10:06 am
Division: C
State: IL
Location: IL -> NY

Re: New York 2013

Postby mathemaniac » August 10th, 2013, 9:32 am

For now, we're going to keep it Division C - hopefully in the future, we have the resources to accommodate for both divisions!
Former captain of the Metea Valley Varsity Science Olympiad Team.
All-time medal counter: 10
My favorite Science Olympiad accomplishment: Astronomy at Illinois States 2013 (2nd Place AA)

Columbia '17

Jdogg
Member
Member
Posts: 169
Joined: May 19th, 2011, 6:00 pm
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: Harriton > PSU

Re: New York 2013

Postby Jdogg » August 10th, 2013, 10:44 am

mathemaniac wrote:You make some pretty good points, thanks for your help! However, I do have a question about Athens: I thought it was held on the 19th (3rd saturday of the month) last year, so why do you think it will move to the 25th this year? I feel like the 18th would make more sense...and if that's the case, we get all of that wonderful Eastern PA and NJ competition back (or at least some of it!) My main concerns for the early December date are that A. Many schools in New York aren't really used to such a thing, B. Many schools in New York have finals around that time, and C. Columbia has finals around that time, which could hurt our volunteer base.


Edit: To be clear, we're definitely leaning towards the January 25th date.


yeah your right, I must be getting my dates confused XD. Sounds good to me.
Harriton Class of 2013
Vice-Deputy of Avionics and Control for Lunar Lion
Assistant Coach of State College High School


Return to “2013 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest