Minnesota 2013

Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: CA

Minnesota 2013

Postby Kokonilly » August 29th, 2012, 4:29 pm

Discussion for the 2013 season of Minnesota Science Olympiad.

http://www.minnesotaso.org/

Allinea
Division: C
State: MN

Re: Minnesota 2013

Postby Allinea » August 30th, 2012, 8:39 am

I talked to Michels yesterday. The prospects at this moment of getting a full team this year are bleak. :?
2013-2014 Season: [Boyceville/Conference/River Falls/Regions/State]
WIDI[2/-/6/2/x]
Rocks[5/1/3/-/x]
Glider[13/8/x/-/x]
Rollercoaster[3/-/12/2/x]
Sustainability[12/-/7/-/-]
Exp. Design[-/3/-/-/-]

haverstall

Postby haverstall » September 3rd, 2012, 9:08 pm

Well that sucks.

We're hoping to start a middle school team, but we'll have to see how logistics work.
Mounds View Science Olympiad 2008-2012 || 6th, Remote Sensing, 2011 Nationals

Co-Tournament Coordinator of Gopher Science Olympiad Invitational
Co-Chair of Minnesota Science Olympiad Alumni

Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Postby Luo » September 5th, 2012, 8:49 pm

Hoping that schedules (for both Wisconsin and Minnesota) come out soon so we can start formulating teams! If I recall correctly, Minnesota's schedule was posted in mid-September last year, but Wisconsin's didn't come out until October 9th.
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/

haverstall

Postby haverstall » September 6th, 2012, 7:34 am

I'm assuming you saw that the Minnesota schedule is already up. I might be able to go to River Falls. Although that is a long drive.

I do unfortunately have a final on the day of Boyceville, so that's not going to happen. :(

Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Postby Luo » September 6th, 2012, 4:25 pm

haverstall wrote:I'm assuming you saw that the Minnesota schedule is already up.

I see the registration forms, but not the schedule... I got really excited for a moment there :P

haverstall wrote:I might be able to go to River Falls. Although that is a long drive.

I do unfortunately have a final on the day of Boyceville, so that's not going to happen. :(

w00t, I hope you can make it to River Falls! :) That would be pretty awesome.
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/

haverstall

Postby haverstall » September 7th, 2012, 11:09 am

Luo wrote:I see the registration forms, but not the schedule... I got really excited for a moment there :P

Just go to the website and click "calendar." All the dates seem legit. And yes, I will try to get to River Falls.

Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Postby Luo » September 7th, 2012, 12:51 pm

haverstall wrote:
Luo wrote:I see the registration forms, but not the schedule... I got really excited for a moment there :P

Just go to the website and click "calendar." All the dates seem legit. And yes, I will try to get to River Falls.

Oh, haha, I was referring to the competition schedule (i.e. for event conflicts) - that doesn't seem to be up yet, unfortunately.

Allinea

Postby Allinea » September 27th, 2012, 4:30 am

River Falls is on the same day as the South Sub conference tournament. :x I'm kinda sad because I loved the rocks test at RF and the invite overall was nicely done. And the food was good... but I'm a swimmer so all food is good.

3 people were at the meeting yesterday!
WIDI[2/-/6/2/x]
Rocks[5/1/3/-/x]
Glider[13/8/x/-/x]
Exp. Design[-/3/-/-/-]

Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Postby Luo » September 27th, 2012, 6:53 am

I'm a bit disappointed that they're only allowing three teams per school at River Falls this year - it means that a lot of our members won't be able to compete. I noticed on the Boyceville Invitational website that Boyceville is fielding six teams this year. :shock: Holy cow.

Also, according to the Wisconsin state website, there's going to be an invitational at Madison West High School this year...on the same day as Boyceville. I'm a little perplexed as to why Madison West would choose the same date; it would seem to me that participation in both invitationals would be increased if Madison West had decided to host theirs on a different day.

haverstall

Postby haverstall » September 27th, 2012, 9:35 am

Wow. Not to criticize them or anything, but Madison West has been pretty absent from the invitational circuit, and when they do host one, it's on the same day as basically the largest one in Wisconsin. That's just too bad.

That's sad news about RF as well. They just didn't want us dominating again. :D

I just wish there were more B invitationals. If we ever get that team started at Chippewa, I would like more practice than just a bus ride to Boyceville.

Also, Allinea, I'm curious, is there a B tournament South Sub? And do you have to be part of the conference in order to participate in the event?

Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Postby Kokonilly » September 27th, 2012, 10:33 am

haverstall wrote:Also, Allinea, I'm curious, is there a B tournament South Sub? And do you have to be part of the conference in order to participate in the event?

Not Allinea, but I don't believe there is a B division at South Suburban. You could ask Michels, but I'm also pretty sure that you have to be part of the conference. It is, after all, the South Suburban conference, and you are in the northern suburbs. :P

haverstall

Postby haverstall » September 27th, 2012, 4:05 pm

Kokonilly wrote: It is, after all, the South Suburban conference, and you are in the northern suburbs. :P

Maps can be redrawn...

I'm only asking since there is a dearth of B-level competition. Pity. Maybe we should have a Minnesota B invite. Although with the MN cramped schedule, that might not be possible.

Allinea

Postby Allinea » September 27th, 2012, 7:31 pm

Yeah, I'm not aware of a B for South Sub. Good news: getting 15 looks to have been achieved with some room to spare. Bad news: I have surgery the day before Boyceville and won't make it. I almost cried when I discovered this.

I've had the idea in my head of an MN invite since I started SO, mainly because AV runs the Minneapple and I thought it would be cool to run one science style. Ah, if only I had more free time.
WIDI[2/-/6/2/x]
Rocks[5/1/3/-/x]
Glider[13/8/x/-/x]
Exp. Design[-/3/-/-/-]

sciolycoach
Coach
Coach
State: WI

Postby sciolycoach » September 28th, 2012, 7:32 am

Hello Minnesotans!

I just wanted to let people know that the schedule for the 2012 Boyceville Invitational is now up on the tournament website:

http://scienceolympiad.boycevillescienc ... age_id=114

Please take a note of this new policy on scheduling, specially created for teams from out-of-state:

New for 2012…Teams will use Mendel for scheduling all events and are allowed to switch time slots for any events, provided there is room available. This new policy is in effect to help teams from other states compete with event conflicts that more closely align with their state event conflicts. Schools with multiple teams are asked to try to keep most/all of their teams in the same time slot if possible but some adjustments are allowed with permission from the tournament director. Please contact Andy Hamm if you have any questions about this new policy.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to let me know. So far, I only have information that Mounds View will be attending from MN...I am hoping to see many other MN teams, but haven't yet heard from other MN coaches. I did sent out an e-mail earlier this month so please talk to your coaches if you are interested in attending. We would like to see an even bigger and better tournament this year and I hope to see all of you here in December!
Andy Hamm
Boyceville Science Olympiad
Boyceville, WI

Return to “2013 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”